Georgetown SSP

I am in Seoul, Korea.

I guess it might take a few more days than you guys, being international mail and all...

It is really exhausting .. I got rejected by Stanford East Asian Studies and Columbia SIPA.

GT SSP and Harvard GSAS are my last hope and it seems that I will be hearing the verdict through the mail in a few days.

Anyone else in Asia received the results yet?

Edited by tamanever

I emailed SSP, and was told that we'll all be getting a bunch of information about funding, financial aid, admitted student chats, visiting days etc by email from the program director this week.

Did they say this week? I e-mailed as well and it just said 'soon.' Anxious to hear about possible funding (though kind of pessimistic about my chances).

I got the following email from GT SSP.

Does that mean I'm in?? I am kind of worried about the Dean's review....:blink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 17, 2011

I am very pleased to inform you that the Security Studies Program (SSP) Admissions Committee has recommended your admission to Dr. Timothy A. Barbari, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. The Dean’s review of your application is a necessary formality and once that approval has been obtained you will shortly receive formal notification of acceptance for full or conditional admission. The Dean will send you a letter formally communicating your official admission status.

Decisions on financial assistance are undertaken by SSP and made on a strict merit basis. If you applied for financial aid, you will hear directly from SSP via e-mail within the next two weeks about the outcome of your request. Notification of an SSP aid award thus comes directly from SSP and will not be included in the Dean’s official letter. Information on student loans, grants, and other Georgetown funding opportunities can be obtained from the Office of Student Financial Services at:

http://finaid.george....edu/grmenu.htm

The SSP website is an excellent resource for you to learn more about our events, faculty, students, and careers. The site can be accessed at:

http://ssp.georgetown.edu/

The SSP will hold a series of online chats for admitted students. The first will take place on Wednesday, March 23, from 2 to 3 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Chats provide an excellent opportunity to interact with SSP admissions staff, student financial services, and current students.

Finally, I invite you to attend the SSP’s Visiting Day on Tuesday, April 12 from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event provides an opportunity to learn more about the program by meeting faculty and students, taking a campus tour, and attending a mock SSP class session. The SSP will email you additional information as the event approaches.

I am pleased that you are considering the SSP for your graduate degree and will look forward to welcoming to this exceptional community of students and scholars in August. In the meantime, please feel free to contact either Ms. Tiffany Swanson, the Director of Admissions, at ts3@georgetown.edu, or Ms. Elizabeth Robbins, at emr65@georgetown.edu.

With very best wishes and kindest regards,

/s/

Professor Bruce Hoffman

Director, Security Studies Program

Edited by tamanever

Pretty much. I got this same email... a day *after* I received the snail mail letter from the dean.

Yah, that's an acceptance letter. Anyone have any thoughts on a more focused field of Security Studies vs. the broader IR degrees. Are they basically the same or are there distinct differences?

Pretty much. I got this same email... a day *after* I received the snail mail letter from the dean.

Yah, got the same things...that's an acceptance letter! Anyone have any thoughts on a more focused field of Security Studies vs. the broader IR degrees. Are they basically the same or are there distinct differences?

Yah, got the same things...that's an acceptance letter! Anyone have any thoughts on a more focused field of Security Studies vs. the broader IR degrees. Are they basically the same or are there distinct differences?

I'm going through the same analysis, as I applied to Georgetown SSP as well as MSFS/SAIS. There's definitely something to be said for the broader education, but with SSP you get everything you need if you want to stay in the national security/foreign policy realm. The fact that you can keep your full-time job and do the SSP part-time is even more motivation for the SSP side of the house.

I've been listening to the audio clips from (last year's?) visiting day for admitted students, and it's been quite insightful. The IR v. SS debate has popped up at various points throughout, and I can't remember them all. But, at about 1:00 in the SSP Overview section, Dr. Byman gets into it a bit and so do the alumni during the Alumni & Current Student Panel audio. One of the speakers posited a litmus test: look at the set of course offerings from each program. Whichever speaks to you the most is the program probably best for you. I also agree with SportsFan's analysis.

That was a refreshingly nice letter of rejection. Well, I suppose I am happy Georgetown got bumped out of March Madness. What the hell is a Hoya anyway? I am spiteful because I am inadequate. Community college sounds promising.

Is anyone else dying for more information? I thought I might calm down once I actually got in, but now I won't be satisfied until I know every little detail about orientation, registration, etc. You don't have to tell me it's unhealthy--I know.mellow.gif

I'm excited to hear about any possible funding, since it's down to Fletcher and Georgetown and the former gave me a decent scholarship. From what I've gathered, funding from the SSP is tough to get, though.

@mcgov: yea me too. my fingers are crossed, though likely to little avail. posts from previous years don't seem to reflect much success in this area, even for candidates with very impressive stats and pedigrees. grats on Fletcher also!

@meg: haha, just keep April 12 open on your calendar! actually, i sent an email to tiffany about something else, and i thought her advice might be applicable to you as well--

On Mar 21, 2011, at 9:22 AM, Tiffany Swanson wrote:

Sheesh. You're in. CHILL.

Although I still haven't heard from Harvard RSEA, I have decided to go to Georgetown SSP.

And I already feel very close to you guyz! Can't wait to meet you in person! :)

Does anyone know how many got admitted to the program?

Although I still haven't heard from Harvard RSEA, I have decided to go to Georgetown SSP.

And I already feel very close to you guyz! Can't wait to meet you in person! :)

Does anyone know how many got admitted to the program?

I am leaning towards SSP as well!

TIffany responded to my email regarding funding yesterday, see below

"You should be receiving an email from Tiffany Swanson, Director of Admissions, in the next week or so regarding your financial aid status. We have not met yet to award scholarships, but are doing so this week. "

I have not heard anything back yet.