American SIS decision

According to their FAQ, you cannot change after you've applied. But you can apply to change after staying in your program for one semester.

"As admission decisions are specific to each program, students cannot change their programs during the admission process. Once admitted to a program/field, a student must stay in that program for one semester, at which point he or she can request a field transfer. Field transfer applications are handled through the Graduate Advising Office."

Thanks for the info Yabanci... I have another question... maybe you or someone else can answer it... Once you request a field transfer after a semester... Is it a possibility that SIS denies the transfer? Or can I count with the certainty of the transfer?

It's strange that you've been accepted into Elliot and waitlisted at American...from what I've seen on these boards it's been the other way around. Did they give any indication as to when they'd make decisions off the wait list? But I'd take Elliot's acceptance letter and run all the way to DC with it.

Gosh, I sure hope this isn't just the waitlist/reject batch. Although I guess I should just prepare for it.

They just said they'd let me know as soon as possible--no actual time frame.

A good board to check the latest SIS decision received by others: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=sis&t=a&o=&p=1

I called a person in the SIS Graduate Admissions early last week, and she confirmed that the last batch was being shipped during the week. She said the packages and letters should be arriving in your mailbox by today or this coming Wednesday.

I have two questions:

1. Is that true that these late decisions have no funding and mostly are the reject letters ?

2. Is there any of you got accepted, but had not got any reception invitation earlier ?

Good luck!

A good board to check the latest SIS decision received by others: http://thegradcafe.c...=sis&t=a&o=&p=1

I called a person in the SIS Graduate Admissions early last week, and she confirmed that the last batch was being shipped during the week. She said the packages and letters should be arriving in your mailbox by today or this coming Wednesday.

I have two questions:

1. Is that true that these late decisions have no funding and mostly are the reject letters ?

2. Is there any of you got accepted, but had not got any reception invitation earlier ?

Good luck!

That's what we're waiting to find out, I mean if the person on the phone said both packages and letters then I suppose there are a few acceptances in there. There have been a few people here who have gotten their invitations before their acceptance packets, but there were a few grad day events around the country some of them as early as the beginning of March. I don't know if they take your address into consideration when inviting you to these things, especially for the final one in DC, to my way of thinking, everyone should be invited to that one regardless, but if the last day to RSVP for it was the 1st of April and if they had just finished making all decisions by then, then how could they get out the last few invites to last few accepted applicants? A few others had called admissions a little while back asking if the batches had any significance, as in the 3rd one being possibly just waitlist and reject letters, they were told there is no significance whatsoever. Well, if that's not true, I think that's pretty crappy, so I sure hope there are a few acceptances in there, don't care much about the grad day thing as I'm too far to go, but it does add to my suspicion that I just didn't get in or have been waitlisted. It would be a dream to get in but this whole thing is getting a little old so I really just want to know either way. The few of us who are still waiting will know by the end of the week I'm sure....so in some way that's a relief.

Edited by Mal83

I got my letter from American in the mail today. I got waitlisted. So I guess it's a decision between GT and Elliott.

This is weird, it makes me think they didn't even read your application.

I'm not sure what to make of this but according to the SIS Graduate Admissions page, there's still a message under application cycle update that says they're still accepting applications for the Fall 2011 Master's Class. Why would they still be accepting applications at this point? Would they really give a spot to someone who completes an application today rather than a qualified applicant who did it months ago? American really needs to start posting decisions online, it's too painful this way.

I'm in california. It would take a bit longer than others for them to deliver the mail. I keep checking my mailbox all day. Hope that tomorrow we will see an SIS envelope in there.

Edited by coma

Hahaha...just got my reject letter from AU and my acceptance to George Mason at the same time...beautiful. Waitlisted at GW but rejected from American, I lost count of how many people on these boards posted their reject or waitlist decisions from GW and got INTO American. Looks like the admissions people who said there's no significance to the batches are big ol' liars...Ok, that sounds immature and they probably have to say that, but still. I also can't help to wonder if I had just submitted my app a little sooner that would have gotten me in. Anyway...aside from this little rant right here, I'm done, I'm relieved, I got in somewhere and I'm happy about it...and I also shredded my reject letter...done with American, so glad I don't have to think about this anymore....sorry to everyone else who has gotten the same letter and good luck to those who are on the waitlist.

Edited by Mal83

Hahaha...just got my reject letter from AU and my acceptance to George Mason at the same time...beautiful. Waitlisted at GW but rejected from American, I lost count of how many people on these boards posted their reject or waitlist decisions from GW and got INTO American. Looks like the admissions people who said there's no significance to the batches are big ol' liars...Ok, that sounds immature and they probably have to say that, but still. I also can't help to wonder if I had just submitted my app a little sooner that would have gotten me in. Anyway...aside from this little rant right here, I'm done, I'm relieved, I got in somewhere and I'm happy about it...and I also shredded my reject letter...done with American, so glad I don't have to think about this anymore....sorry to everyone else who has gotten the same letter and good luck to those who are on the waitlist.

@ Mal83: So basically this last batch is rejects? I still haven't received anything in the mail. Doesn't matter anyways because it looks like I'm getting into Texas State's MPA program.

I'm happy you got in somewhere!!! Congrats!!!! What program did you apply to at George Mason?

I'm sorry you didn't get in. On the bright side, this is all over!

@ Mal83: So basically this last batch is rejects? I still haven't received anything in the mail. Doesn't matter anyways because it looks like I'm getting into Texas State's MPA program.

I'm happy you got in somewhere!!! Congrats!!!! What program did you apply to at George Mason?

Thanks very much! It's the MA in Global Affairs program. I don't know if this is strictly the reject batch, but according to what's been happening here, it sure seems like it. There could be a few acceptances in there who knows. But if this last batch had anything to do with the time you submitted I have to say that is highly unfair. There's a deadline for a reason, if you get it in on time you should have just as much chance as everyone else. Like I said, I certainly don't know for sure, but based on this thread it sure seems like it had something to do with it. I mean BryanJ has been accepted to both GW and Georgetown but waitlisted at American? There's something a little off about that, plus everyone else here who got in weeks and weeks ago with either waitlist or reject status from those 2 schools...it's a little hard to swallow. But I'm not dwelling on it anymore, at least my application fee was waived, too many applicants and too few spots is probably the bottom line. That's great that you are in somewhere too! It's a great feeling.

I'm sorry you didn't get in. On the bright side, this is all over!

Thanks, I'm sorry you didn't get in too....but I'm not sorry and I'm done stressing. You're very right, the bright side is that it's over. I'm not sure at this point which is better, the fact that this awful process is over or that I actually got in somewhere. I guess the combination of the 2 is pretty sweet. Are you waiting on any other schools?

I got rejected 7 out 7 yayyyyyyyy! Now what do I do? My life went down the drain...

I can't find a job, I can't get into grad school...

Oh no, so sorry to hear that. Maybe you can apply again to some other programs for spring admission so you don't have to wait a whole extra year and maybe get in touch with some admissions people to advise you a little.

Thanks, I'm sorry you didn't get in too....but I'm not sorry and I'm done stressing. You're very right, the bright side is that it's over. I'm not sure at this point which is better, the fact that this awful process is over or that I actually got in somewhere. I guess the combination of the 2 is pretty sweet. Are you waiting on any other schools?

I'm done waiting, thank god. Now I have to chose between Pitt's GSPIA and Boston University both for International Development.

I got rejected 7 out 7 yayyyyyyyy! Now what do I do? My life went down the drain...

I'm sorry :( If I were you I would try again spring term with different schools.

Your life did not go down the drain! There is a positive to every negative. It gives you time to recuperate from this strenuous process. A lot of schools take Spring applicants. Try some of your state schools who have just as good programs. Everything happens for a reason. You will get in somewhere, just don't give up. Keep us posted on where you get in :)