Portland state University??

stefanie0816

Hi, everyone. i have got AD from University of Cincinnati and Portland state university , MS program.

I am from China, so very limited sources for me to get to know their reputation in the nation. Any one could help me with that? if UC and PSU are being put in front of you , which one would you think is the better choice?

Thanks!!

Hi, everyone. i have got AD from University of Cincinnati and Portland state university , MS program.

I am from China, so very limited sources for me to get to know their reputation in the nation. Any one could help me with that? if UC and PSU are being put in front of you , which one would you think is the better choice?

Thanks!!

Without knowing more about your specific interests and what type of location you would like to live in, I would go with the University of Cincinnati.

I think most of the appeal of Portland State is the location, alot of times in the US the coasts are seen as "cooler" places to live then the midwest or south but of course that has nothing to do with the educational opportunities in the area. =)

Planetizen ranks U cincinnati's program highly, and as a resident of Ohio I can tell you that the university is looked at favorably here. Especially their architecture school (in which I believe planning is located). I don't live in Cincinnati and even here If you say you graduated from their Architecture school, it does impress. Also, Cincinnati is an interesting city, Its got a pretty large riverfront area, some very interesting history, a diverse mix of people and a fairly large metro area that spands into 3 states. I would think there would be alot of varied and valuable internship oppurtunities in planning and probably historical preservation too if that's your thing.

Of course, you also have to look at where you'd want to live/work after studying. If you'd prefer to live on the west coast, then portland may be a better choice for you. However, Be aware that there is potential to work in the Midwest after graduation. There are alot of aging cities focusing on revitilazation efforts (detroit, and Cleveland come to mind) and areas trying to figure out how to manage out of control growth (a central ohio county grew 59% over the last decade). Also, Some of the midwestern plains states have much lower unemployment rates than some west coast areas, which is definately a plus right now.

I hope I answered your question? I'm also going for a master's for Urban planning next year, and I seriously considered U Cincinnati. I only didn't apply do to time constraints (Ok, it was really procrastination that got way out of hand).