Royal College of Art 2011

shabu2011

Hey Everyone,

I'm about to head to Royal College of Art next week for interviews, Comm. Design and I just wanted to start a thread to see if anyone else is going. I've been a little intimidated about the British system interview process. I've gone through two US school interviews and they both were fine. I read somewhere that RCA's interview are less Q&A and more about you giving a speech.

Although I did get one PM from an applicant last year, here is his response:

Hi shabu2011,

I never actually interviewed for any US schools so unfortunately I can't compare. I do know, however that, unlike Goldsmiths who were fine with just a telephone interview, RCA insisted on a personal interview. So I flew out last year JUST for the interview. I don't know if they're asking the same of you, plus I suppose it depends on which department you applied to? I applied to Printmaking, and so had my interview with about 4 people (I can't remember anymore exactly!) in their building on Hyde Park. I would imagine that if you applied to Painting or Sculpture, the interview would be in that new building in Battersea, but not sure. Anyway, the interview was very polite - I didn't feel like I was being "grilled" at all, in fact they seemed quite friendly. They looked at my work (I had to bring actual work samples) and asked me things like "why do I want to study in London/RCA", "how do I think my work will change in the new environment", "who are my contemporary artistic inspirations/context" and so forth. And then that was pretty much it!

Let me know how it goes and if there is anything else specific you'd like to know!

animalhandler

Anyways, I'm keen to know if anyone else is flying over for interviews, or have thoughts about their program etc.

Edited by shabu2011

Hi. I can't really add much here for your question. But I was wondering if you could give some info after your interview about the school? I wish I would have applied this year but was focused on east coast in the US. I would be applying for painting and/or drawing. If you had a chance to see the grad painting studios, please let me know what size they are? private, semi-private, etc? This is something I wish I would have looked more into before applying to schools this year.

And of course, how the interview went! and everything :)

good luck

Hey Everyone,

I'm about to head to Royal College of Art next week for interviews, Comm. Design and I just wanted to start a thread to see if anyone else is going. I've been a little intimidated about the British system interview process. I've gone through two US school interviews and they both were fine. I read somewhere that RCA's interview are less Q&A and more about you giving a speech.

Although I did get one PM from an applicant last year, here is his response:

Anyways, I'm keen to know if anyone else is flying over for interviews, or have thoughts about their program etc.

hi Paint!

sure! I'm actually still around London, and generally it is very hard to visit the campus. I had come before and the security is really tight if you don't have a reason to be there. Just fyi in case you do ever try coming visiting. Lucky for you the painting dept moved into a brand spanking new building/campus in Battersea. The con is that you are isolated from the rest of the main campus, but I've heard that it is nice and I would frankly be jealous. I talked with some of the current students in design and it seems like it is really cramped, the program is relatively large for graduates studies and getting larger every year!

I can't tell you how private the painting studios are because I haven't visited the other campus but just because you asked, I'll try finding out. I would actually like to go see it for myself but I have no access to that campus. For the main campus I do have one friend now, so I can go there and ask around.

My suggestion would be if you ever come visit, contact a student to let you in! I'll elaborate more to your post when I find out more.

cheers,

Shabu

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I've been invited to an interview at RCA in the next few weeks - so terrified. I wondered if anyone below - or others - who had had an interview could let me know how it went/ what kind of questions were asked? I'm going for history of design which is obviously more theoretical than practical like painting, but any interview tips would be good!

Many thanks - good luck to anyone else in same position.

Annie

I am going for an interview on Friday for Photography. Although each departments interview process may be significantly different i'll definitely let you know how it turns out.

I'm really nervous. I'd love to hear some advice/past experiences from others.

Also, how much work are you guys planning on bringing? I feel as though the physicality of my work in scale is really important so I was planning on bringing three of my images mounted at the scale of 30x30 with no frame so I can carry them in the interview with no struggle. I was also planning on just wrapping them  in bubble wrap really simply so it wont take any time to unwrap and wrap it back up. This is the primary form of presentation for my work and I felt really strange re-printing them at such a small scale for my portfolio. What do you guys think? Is this too much?

Edited by kabdai