Florida vs. Columbia-Teachers College

flashinglights

Hey guys.

I was recently accepted into the University of Florida's Anthropology PhD program (sociocultural), and I was also accepted into Columbia University-Teacher's College PhD program in Anthropology and Education (link to program description: http://www.tc.columbia.edu/its/anthro/index.asp?Id=Program+Home&Info=Program+Description). I am having trouble figuring out which program to go to. I have met with the faculty at UF and my research would be a good fit with several professors there, espceailly the ones that signed onto my preliminary committee. However, the program at Teachers College carries the prestige of the "Columbia" name (for what its worth), and I have also met the faculty there during a visit and I would fit in well there as well. I do not know which decision would suit me best in the long term.

Plus funding, I would most likely be funded for the entire time at UF, but would only have 1 year of secured funding at TC. Plus the cost of living in NYC >>>>>> Gainesville obviously.

But I think having a PhD from Columbia would be amazing for my long term career goals (i.e. academic jobs, future applied work in education). UF is a more pragmatic decision, but Columbia would be following a dream (worse case scenario giving me 100K in loans though).

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm a first year PhD in Columbia's Anthro/Ed program. It's a good program, and it allows you to take classes at TC, Columbia, Barnard, CUNY, SIPA, NYU, etc, but just prepare to apply for a LOT of outside funding (which of course, nothing guarenteed).

I was lucky enough to get a TC minority scholarship for my first year, which covers tuition, but it will not be renewed next year. To pay for living expenses I've also TAed both semesters for Columbia undergrad classes and I have a workstudy job that I do every morning. I spent all fall applying for the NSF and Ford fellowship for next year. Also, be mindful that as a part of our program, it is required that you do 8-10 weeks of intensive fieldwork during the summer after your first year, and again, no funding. So, if you are like me, and your area of interest is say INDIA, that can get a bit expensive. I applied for the CLS and FLAAS grants, and LUCKILY i got the CLS which pays for everything (flight, visa, accomodations-home stay, intensive language lessons, food, trips, etc).

SO... in general, I say pick the program that fits your research the best- do not worry about names. If u like columbia/tc's program, do it... just prepare to work ur butt off to get funding. If u like florida, go there. Like the above posts already mentioned, the name of the school really says nothing at this point in higher ed, its the quality of the program and its fit with your research objectives.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

I'm a first year PhD in Columbia's Anthro/Ed program. It's a good program, and it allows you to take classes at TC, Columbia, Barnard, CUNY, SIPA, NYU, etc, but just prepare to apply for a LOT of outside funding (which of course, nothing guarenteed).

I was lucky enough to get a TC minority scholarship for my first year, which covers tuition, but it will not be renewed next year. To pay for living expenses I've also TAed both semesters for Columbia undergrad classes and I have a workstudy job that I do every morning. I spent all fall applying for the NSF and Ford fellowship for next year. Also, be mindful that as a part of our program, it is required that you do 8-10 weeks of intensive fieldwork during the summer after your first year, and again, no funding. So, if you are like me, and your area of interest is say INDIA, that can get a bit expensive. I applied for the CLS and FLAAS grants, and LUCKILY i got the CLS which pays for everything (flight, visa, accomodations-home stay, intensive language lessons, food, trips, etc).

SO... in general, I say pick the program that fits your research the best- do not worry about names. If u like columbia/tc's program, do it... just prepare to work ur butt off to get funding. If u like florida, go there. Like the above posts already mentioned, the name of the school really says nothing at this point in higher ed, its the quality of the program and its fit with your research objectives.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Its very helpful, thanks! I am prepared to hit the ground running to look for funding, I just wanted to get a measure of whether getting the funding that'd be required for living and tuition expenses is a feasible goal, or would I have to bite the bullet and take out more loans. Are most students able to work and and secure enough funding while at TC, or are you just one of the more resourceful ones?

Its very helpful, thanks! I am prepared to hit the ground running to look for funding, I just wanted to get a measure of whether getting the funding that'd be required for living and tuition expenses is a feasible goal, or would I have to bite the bullet and take out more loans. Are most students able to work and and secure enough funding while at TC, or are you just one of the more resourceful ones?

I mean, I took out the subsidized loans I was offered, just in case. I was not used to living in NYC and didnt know what I would need. Luckily, with the scholarship, TAing, and workstudy, I havent used any of the loan money, and I live pretty comfortably (live on campus, gym membership, go out to eat, flights to people's weddings, etc).

I cant speak for students in other programs at TC, but I know that most of my cohort does not have TC scholarships (i think maybe 1 other received the minority scholarship as well). I'm the only one who TAed first semester, and me and one other kid is TAing this semester (very competitive, as soon as u see emails, respond. we had to actually seek departments out this semester- im TAing for Columbia Sociology right now, and he is TAing for Barnard History). Two actually teach at local community colleges on the weekend (you have to come in with ur masters). A couple have work study (beware that they are very competitive and usually you do not get the full amt ur financial aid promises, again, I luckily got a program with steady hours, so ill reach my amt).

Again, good luck.