Rate my chances for BU's Biology PhD program.

khushi.ban

I'm applying for '09 Fall.

I'm getting my Masters from the University of Rhode Island. I have a thesis Masters so I have significant research experience. My letters of recommendation are going to be very good. My General GRE scores are quite high, and my Subject GRE scores in Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology and Genetics are in the 77th percentile. I also have two years of teaching experience, both as a lab TA and as a one-on-one tutor. But my Masters program GPA is only around 3.15. I have made contact with a professor and have been invited up to BU's Biology Department to spend the day there at the end of the month (even before my application has gone in) and meet with professors and grad students and attend their department seminar, a whole 10AM to 5PM invitation.

But I am worried about my low GPA. What are my chances of getting in if my interview at BU goes well?

• 1 month later...

On the graduate level, the GPA means less than it did on the undergraduate level. I think that as long as you were in good academic standing with your master's department, the PhD program won't sweat it. You have completed graduate level work to a satisfactory standard. :)