GRE Math Woes

anonqwe

I applied for PhD programmes in Political Science as a theorist last cycle, but didn't have much luck. I think that one of the major problems with my applications was my low GRE Math score (I'm happy with my Verbal and Writing scores). I'm planning to reapply, so I need to retake.

The problem is, a lot of the math they test on the GRE I either a) last used about 10 years ago or, B), the bigger problem, never learnt in the first place (I went to a really bad high school and stupidly chose to ignore my lack of quantitative skills as an undergrad). I tried to study on my own using some test-prep books and the ETS software but, while it raised my score, it didn't get me where I need to be (I'm about 100pts off my target).

I think I might need to do something other than self-study, but I'm not sure what's best. Are there test-prep companies that offer classes that are only for GRE math? (I don't want to waste time and money on unnecessary instruction for Verbal and Writing.) Would a community ed remedial math class be too off-topic? Has anyone else faced a similar problem?

Anonqwe,

I found the GRE test prep places to be very expensive and at the time I took the GRE I didn't have the kind of money. I got in touch with the head of the math department at the university I was attending and asked for help. They talked to a few of the students who were ultimately interested in a teaching career and we met a few times and they taught me what I didn't learn in high school and also some of the tricks to the GRE (I didn't do well with math, ever)! If you're not near a university you could also check on Craigslist to find a math tutor/GRE instructor. Some of my friends had great luck with that route and the cost was much less than say Kaplan.

Good luck!

I took the GRE twice and similarly struggled with the math section at first. The trick is realizing that the test is designed to pray on those cobwebs that you may have collected since last formally studying math. In all actuality, the math section only tests VERY basic arithmetic, algebra and geometry in order to ensure a level playing field for all. (because that would totally be unfair if those math majors had an unfair advantage!)

With that said, it really is just a matter of being able to put the puzzle pieces together, and see the bigger picture. I know, I know, easier said than done!

Kaplan has an AWESOME prep book that only focuses on the math section. It breaks down the different topics in AMAZING detail. Even better, it provides NUMEROUS practice questions, because this test is not only about knowing how to do the problems, but being able to pace yourself and work through them more efficiently. In fact, after a while you will notice patterns in the questions, and will be able to pick up the common tricks by just glancing at a question.

What I trying to say is that, yes, you want to gain the math skills, but you would be better served by understanding the psyche of those who create the test. With this inside perspective, you will better be able to anticipate the curve balls being thrown at you on test day.

Before I get too far off track, I ABSOLUTELY endorse that Kaplan book. It breaks the concepts down better than ANY book that I have looked at. It was kind of hard to find; actually only found it by chance at a random book store, but it is definitely worth investigating a bit.

As far as my study POA, I studied 4+ hours a day , everyday without fail. I know you may be working full time, but that is simply no excuse. I was working full time at a litigation firm (50+ hours/week) while volunteering, exercising 5 times a week, keeping my significant other happy... etc. I say all this because I think success on the GRE (for those that don' t have that natural ability) boils down to shear will. How much do you really want it? How much time are you willing to put in? What are you willing to give up?

You have got to be committed, even when it is the last thing you want to do.

Stepping off of my soap box now, probably one of the other most important factors in performing better is simply feeling more confident. I know it is corny, but most people who don't do well on standardized tests don't lack intelligence, they lack confidence. Thus, your primary objective should be building your confidence, after that everything else should fall into place.

Re Test Prep Companies

Once upon a time, I was headed for law school and I took one of PR's courses. It was a waste of time and a ton of hard earned money, in my opinion. I think those courses are designed for those that, perhaps, lack discipline and need more structure (deadlines, etc.)??

But if you do decide to go that route, I have heard great things about testmasters. They are more expensive than Kaplan or PR, but they consistently coach people into 90+ percentile (I know a few).

Anyways, this is just all my opinion. Every person is different and you are probably more attuned to your needs. Just know that you CAN coach yourself into a higher score. It will just take some commitment and good old fashion sweat on your part... but I guess since you are planning on pursuing a phd, you are not the type to shy away from a challenge :)

By the way, I applied to 11 phd programs, was accepted into 4 (including a Top 25 program) as well as UChicago's MAPSS program... so, I guess I know what I am talking about??

Good luck!

A few things:

1) Credentials: I took the GRE twice, and averaged 775 on the quantitative section (750 first time, 800 second time). I did little to no preparation for either exam, and I hadn't taken math in 5 years. I'm currently a doctoral student in a quantitatively-oriented (but not super mathy) political science department preparing to transfer thanks to faculty attrition.

2) Let's prepare our opening mantra. It's not math. It's not math. Say it to yourself. It's not math. It's not math. So what is it? Problem solving! Think about it. They put two things in front of you and ask you which is bigger. That's not exactly math. It's logic, analytical thinking, critical thought, but it's not just math. I know it sounds like semantics, but if part of your problem is approach-oriented and built upon a foundation of insecurity, then this little paradigm shift should help.

3) I agree with the sentiments above: think like a testmaker. On practice exams, ask yourself: "just what is it that they're testing in this question?" It can be any number of things: algebra, geometry, logic, arithmetic, or just plain balls (my term for picking the simple answer when there are more complicated traps). Each of these genres has its own little tricks to learn to get through the test faster. For example, on an algebraic question, in the event that you don't enjoy putting things in easily comparable terms, you may want to establish a system where you plug the following series into the varaible: negative integers, negative fractions greater than -1, 0, positive fractions less than 1, positive integers. Categorizing questions and establishing systems for each type might make it go a bit more smoothly.

4) Consider what your goal is. Let's say you've decided that, for a theorist, 700 is a competitive score (which may or may not be true, depending on the kind of department you're applying to). Fine. Given the way the test is set up, you'll want to spend a lot of time on early and middle questions, so don't feel like you have to get to every single stinkin' question. The only people that need to get to the end with lots of time to think are those gunning for 800s (we call this strange kind of person "an economist").

5) Try to find some fun in it. Whatever it is that you enjoy about reading a text closely is somewhere related to what an applied mathematician enjoys about solving his or her kind of problems (now isn't the time for the KKV "unified logic" argument, but it's the same kind of idea). This will help you later, because, unless you're at a really qualitative school, you're probably going to have to take probability theory, basic statistics, and OLS regression in your first year or two.

6) Day of the test: no caffeine! Get some whole grains, light proteins, and a slow-burning carb like oatmeal. You'll be less jittery and will be able to get through the exam with more energy. I know it's hard for a theorist to go long without their cigs and coffee (I kid, I kid), but that should help.

Let me know if anything needs clarified or if I can be of further service. Good luck!

I realize now that I never got around to answering the GD question. My bad. The above is meant to support the assertion that a test-prep course probably isn't necessary with the right kind of preparation. As a similar student with little math background who didn't take one, all you need is the right mindset. Sorry about that.

I worked my way through Sharon Weiner Green & Ira Wolf's How to Prepare for the GRE Test and it got me from 39th percentile in practice tests up to a 73rd percentile 710 in the real thing. That's not a very high score to most of you, but it was a major achievement for me -- I last did maths in year 10 in 1995!

I spent about ten or twenty hours studying in the month before I took it. The best tip in it was to take your time with the first seven questions, as they determine most of what your final score will be.

I've been away from math, any kind mind you for 20 years. Yep 20. I recently completed my masters and have applied to a PhD program that is in social sciences/humanities given the direction of institution. They want both theorists and policy wonks as well as true quantitative researchers. That said, they required the GRE - aka: Great Ripoff Exercise. I, too, did very well on verbal and writing. However, I bombed, and I mean bombed the math. Problem is, I studied for several hours every night and attended PRIVATE F*%&%ing tutoring w/a (big name company) tutor for TWO MONTHS PRIOR TO TAKING THIS damn thing. It is nothing more than an exercise in recognition and traps (quant portion). YOU CANNOT DO WELL IF YOU CANNOT RECOGNIZE AND PROCESS THE PROBLEMS IN UNDER TWO MINUTES. For you math weenies, I'll challenge you to essay duel anytime but will gladly wave the white flag for the math. Anyway, after I bomb, my tutor apologizes, feels bad, and says that someone with more experience teaching/re-teaching forgotten concepts would have been better for me....uh,....er...can I have my $1,100 clams back? Moreover, he/she asks me if I have ADD. To which I reply, why yes f'er, I was one of the early ADD'ers in the early 70s but have dealt with it and overcome it. To bad he/she replies, ADDers qualify for an additional 45 minutes on the quant section. WTF!!!!!!! My problem was that by the time I got through question 10, I only had 16 minutes left for the last 18. Can you say guess fest. It just simply takes ADDers longer to process the question. I knew I was doing well because the early problems kept getting harder but once I became aware of the time....panic. He/she then proceeds to tell me that they know of instances of kids getting themselves classified purposefully as ADD by family doctors or whatever to dupe the system. Great. Anyway, the purpose of my angry rant is to advise you that it's ALL about recognition and then attacking in under 1.5 min per question. Yes, for someone like me if I have to retake the test I'll have to study for months to account for slow recognition skills. The test if particularly evil if you have been out of school for quite a period of time and are used to rational thought processes regarding everyday math skills. Good luck to you an keep beating on the door. A GRE score does not make the man, or woman, but it sure can make you feel like a troglodyte ---look that up weenies.

I've been away from math, any kind mind you for 20 years. Yep 20. I recently completed my masters and have applied to a PhD program that is in social sciences/humanities given the direction of institution. They want both theorists and policy wonks as well as true quantitative researchers. That said, they required the GRE - aka: Great Ripoff Exercise. I, too, did very well on verbal and writing. However, I bombed, and I mean bombed the math. Problem is, I studied for several hours every night and attended PRIVATE F*%&%ing tutoring w/a (big name company) tutor for TWO MONTHS PRIOR TO TAKING THIS damn thing. It is nothing more than an exercise in recognition and traps (quant portion). YOU CANNOT DO WELL IF YOU CANNOT RECOGNIZE AND PROCESS THE PROBLEMS IN UNDER TWO MINUTES. For you math weenies, I'll challenge you to essay duel anytime but will gladly wave the white flag for the math. Anyway, after I bomb, my tutor apologizes, feels bad, and says that someone with more experience teaching/re-teaching forgotten concepts would have been better for me....uh,....er...can I have my $1,100 clams back? Moreover, he/she asks me if I have ADD. To which I reply, why yes f'er, I was one of the early ADD'ers in the early 70s but have dealt with it and overcome it. To bad he/she replies, ADDers qualify for an additional 45 minutes on the quant section. WTF!!!!!!! My problem was that by the time I got through question 10, I only had 16 minutes left for the last 18. Can you say guess fest. It just simply takes ADDers longer to process the question. I knew I was doing well because the early problems kept getting harder but once I became aware of the time....panic. He/she then proceeds to tell me that they know of instances of kids getting themselves classified purposefully as ADD by family doctors or whatever to dupe the system. Great. Anyway, the purpose of my angry rant is to advise you that it's ALL about recognition and then attacking in under 1.5 min per question. Yes, for someone like me if I have to retake the test I'll have to study for months to account for slow recognition skills. The test if particularly evil if you have been out of school for quite a period of time and are used to rational thought processes regarding everyday math skills. Good luck to you an keep beating on the door. A GRE score does not make the man, or woman, but it sure can make you feel like a troglodyte ---look that up weenies.

Wow, you are REALLY intense.

With that said, your situation is really unfortunate, I wish you nothing but the best.

BTW, I thought all those big name companies had a money back guarantee? I know PR did in my case... well, actually, now that I think about it, they gave me the option to take the course again. (gee, thanks)

The one silver lining in the GRE game is that at least it's not like the LSAT, all or nothing; so many schools will only look at your best scores (even if they are spread amongst different test dates).

I come from an ECE background, so I found the GRE Q section to be mostly analytical thinking and logic and not worthy of the label 'math'. That said, the time constraints do pose an interesting challenge, no matter what your actual field is.

crazypoligirl and coachrjc have posted very useful info, too.

You need to brush up your basic math skills (you can do this with the help of an actual high-school student or teacher - if you know any) and train, train train!

The GRE is all about methodology and for that you can pick up one of the many Test Prep Books and give it a good read. Then start with the sample questions, eventually trying to answer more in less time.

If you feel you really lack the bases, hiring someone versed in math would help, but gives you the extra problem of finding a competent/honest/cheap one.

There are no "secrets" to the GRE - all the info you need is already published on the ETS website/CD, so I am skeptical about those specific GRE tutors/classes. And I can sum it all in one sentence: if it's taking you too long, you're doing it the wrong way. The GRE Prep books are very good at explaining it with simple examples - in no time you'll recognize the types of questions and the 'typical' shortcuts to find the answer.

In conclusion: the more time you spend practicing, the better you'll get at solving the questions fast enough. In theory, having a tutor would help, but I don't think it's worth the money (nor the hassle). Just buy another book (Kaplan is a good one) and try to figure out the underlying approaches to the problems, rather than solving them blindly and thoroughly (like in school). Look for approximations and elimination of clearly wrong answers.

Also retain the adaptive nature of the test: if you fail early on you'll never get high scores - take your time in the first 7/10 questions or so. And when you have less than one minute, just guess randomly until the end - do NOT leave unanswered questions.

Good luck!