which to go to learn biostatistics? Brown or Georgetown

I am an international student and want to get a master degree of biostatistics . Now Brown U and Georgetown have given me admission.

I don't know which one to choose.

It seems that, according to the rank of statistics, Georgetown is much better than Brown. However, Brown U is Ivy.

I am not sure if I am interested in research, so I think, a graduate school that will help me to get a job is more suitable. But I have no idea which one to choose.

I am an international student and want to get a master degree of biostatistics . Now Brown U and Georgetown have given me admission.

I don't know which one to choose.

It seems that, according to the rank of statistics, Georgetown is much better than Brown. However, Brown U is Ivy.

I am not sure if I am interested in research, so I think, a graduate school that will help me to get a job is more suitable. But I have no idea which one to choose.

I am not in your field but I just wanted to point out:

On the graduate level, and especially for international students, 'Ivy' means very little. Some fantastic schools are not Ivies, and then the Ivy League includes a couple that makes you raise an eyebrow.

Whatever you choose, however, you should be fine! Both are excellent schools!

Then how can I make out whether a graduate program is fantastic or not?

He means use rankings for your graduate program, not general prestige in the undergrad sense. You said it yourself georgetown is ranked much higher in statistics so that seems like the obvious choice.

First of all congrats! Both are great schools and you should be very proud of yourself. Georgetown is a very highly ranked overall University. Also, Georgetown has a much higher ranking by the national research council for biostatistics and is actually ranked on US News (Brown isn't even on the ranking). As far as prospective employers are concerned, they will know the rank of the program and not the school. Thus, your best bet is to take the position at Georgetown. Good luck!

Second this post. Also, aside from pure rankings, when choosing a biostats MS or PhD program it is important to consider what the university has to offer as a whole for collaborative research (i.e. med school, school of public health, nursing school, and research institutes nearby). Georgetown has many nearby opportunities for getting some applied experience not only within the university but in the DC area as a whole, whereas Brown is relatively isolated in Providence.

First of all congrats! Both are great schools and you should be very proud of yourself. Georgetown is a very highly ranked overall University. Also, Georgetown has a much higher ranking by the national research council for biostatistics and is actually ranked on US News (Brown isn't even on the ranking). As far as prospective employers are concerned, they will know the rank of the program and not the school. Thus, your best bet is to take the position at Georgetown. Good luck!

Whitesmile, look at the rankings. First of all Georgetown is a much better program. Brown while being Ivy does not have a strong biostats program. When you exit you will be at a disadvantage because employers will want people that come from strong and reputable programs. Brown's program is just starting out. I would not take the chance if I were you. Also, there is lots of oppurtunity in New England. HOWEVER, you will lose out to jobs from Harvard, Yale, BU, Columbia, Penn, and plenty of other schools with programs that are more respected. I would take Georgetown and not chance your future.

I have visited a few different universities throughout my Ph.D. program application process. I am also an international student myself and studying Statistics. While I have not received an offer from Brown, I have received offers from Berkeley and Georgetown. I would think it's best to go to a program that is highly ranked rather than just ivy. While it is nice to have a school on your cv that is in the ivy league, what difference does that make if it is not highly ranked with an amazing reputation. These programs have also been around for much longer and would offer you greater opportunities down the road. If the only thing that Brown has to offer you is that they are in the ivy league, I would not go. I would rather go to a highly ranked program that will afford me a better chance to get a well paying job after I complete my degree.

I agree, nobody cares about Ivy league for graduate schools, people know what programs are good. For instance arguably the top program in the US is University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. I would strongly considering taking a stronger program like Georgetown. Your chances of getting a job will be higher. Where did you decide?

North Carolina Chapel Hill is the top program? I have seen several different ranking for this.

It seems that the courses for master of biostatistics are the same in different universities. Then how can I tell if a program is good or not?

Btw, I prefer Georgetown now.

I agree, nobody cares about Ivy league for graduate schools, people know what programs are good. For instance arguably the top program in the US is University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. I would strongly considering taking a stronger program like Georgetown. Your chances of getting a job will be higher. Where did you decide?