Scores on GRE paper version version scores on CAT version

coreycat

Just curious to see if anyone has taken both the 'paper' version and the computer adaptive (CAT) version of the GRE. Did anyone receive a significantly higher score on one test type versus the other?

To be frank, I'm trying to discern if one test type produces consistently higher scrores than the other. It seems to me that the CAT test would give higher scores since the questions would ( at least theoretically) be more geared toward each individuals' level.

Based on taking practice tests, I'm fairly certain that I will do well enough to get into most of the schools that I plan on applying to. However, I would prefer to do exceptionally well since I will most likely not be able to attend school unless I'm given some substantial funding to go with the acceptance.

Additionally, from reading over the criteria for receiving TA/RA positions or other types of funding from universities, it appears to that GRE scores are a major determining factor.

I'm just making myself so nervous over all the GRE stuff since my GPA has never really matched up well with my scores on standardized tests. I guess I'm just not a good standardized test taker.

As an example (although its rather unrelated) my high school GPA was 3.8 but my SAT score was only 1220.

Relevant thoughts or similar experiences?

Just curious to see if anyone has taken both the 'paper' version and the computer adaptive (CAT) version of the GRE. Did anyone receive a significantly higher score on one test type versus the other?

To be frank, I'm trying to discern if one test type produces consistently higher scrores than the other. It seems to me that the CAT test would give higher scores since the questions would ( at least theoretically) be more geared toward each individuals' level.

Based on taking practice tests, I'm fairly certain that I will do well enough to get into most of the schools that I plan on applying to. However, I would prefer to do exceptionally well since I will most likely not be able to attend school unless I'm given some substantial funding to go with the acceptance.

Additionally, from reading over the criteria for receiving TA/RA positions or other types of funding from universities, it appears to that GRE scores are a major determining factor.

I'm just making myself so nervous over all the GRE stuff since my GPA has never really matched up well with my scores on standardized tests. I guess I'm just not a good standardized test taker.

As an example (although its rather unrelated) my high school GPA was 3.8 but my SAT score was only 1220.

Relevant thoughts or similar experiences?

If you are in the US, I believe you must take the CAT.

If you are in the US, I believe you must take the CAT.

I'm aware of that now, thank you.

I was misinformed by one of my professors who told me that you could choose which version you wanted to take.

I'm just wondering how comparable the scores are since all of my practice tests have been taken on the paper version.

20+ years ago I took the paper version and got 1480 ( V and Q) and 740 Analytical (logic puzzles, mostly -- no essays),

Last June I got 1540 (V and Q) and 6.0 Analytical (writing)