MIT vs UC Berkeley vs Stanford (Structural Engineering)

Civil Masters Degree  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which Program should I choose for my Masters Degree (Structural Engineering)

2. 2. Masters in Science or Masters in Engineering

Hello all,

I'm a fourth year civil engineering student at UC Irvine and I'm deciding on a school to get my master's degree.

I'm deciding between MIT, UC Berkeley, and Stanford for my Masters (in Science or Engineering - I've yet to make that decision yet haha....)

I've considered tuition, location, and quality of the program.

==edit==

Berkeley - MS or MENG - they are giving me an option. I entered as MS, but they said I can change whenever I want.

MS - 1 year program (8 courses)

MENG - 2 year program (more courses, 2 minors, and research)

MIT - MENG (accepted) - 1 year program - oriented for industry

http://cee.mit.edu/m...-of-engineering

==edit==

Tuition:

UCB - 14k

Stanford - 40k

MIT - 19k (I received a half tuition fellowship)

For this reason, I've narrowed my choices to MIT and UCB since Stanford would be too much money.

I was born and raised in Southern California so I'm used to the Californian weather. However, I am open to seeing new places and experiencing new things. I have heard MIT can get REALLY cold, and I don't think I would mind that too much. I would love to experience the East Coast, as I haven't even been there before.

I also have to figure out housing - do you guys know the cost of living of these areas? I visited UCB and Stanford recently and loved both places, they have their own feel. I won't be able to make it to MIT before decision day.

Quality of Program

UCB is number 1 in terms of Civil Engineering Graduate programs, but Stanford and MIT follow right afterwards.

I changed majors into civil engineering when the earthquake in China opened my eyes to the devastation of earthquakes on society. Since then, I've oriented my academic goals to learning more about Earthquake Engineering. At the moment, I understand that I will need to be more well rounded as well - but Earthquake loading will probably dictate in California (I plan on staying California afterwards I get my Degree). I wouldn't be surprised that UCB has a better program in terms of Earthquake knowledge, but MIT is well rounded as well.

I've been told at the Open House in UCB that many Structural Engineering theories originated in UCB, and I'm sure this is a factor to consider.

Unfortunately, the WOW factor of MIT is making me lean towards MIT.... I don't want to make my decision based on pride, but I'm sure having a degree from MIT would help me get a job, because in the end, the most important thing is using this degree to advance my career.

Thanks a BUNCH for your time, and if you read all this to help me, I appreciate it very much!

Jay

Edited by workinprogress

Berkeley - MS or MENG - they are giving me an option. I entered as MS, but they said I can change whenever I want.

MS - 1 year program (8 courses)

MENG - 2 year program (more courses, 2 minors, and research)

MIT - MENG (accepted) - 1 year program - oriented for industry

http://cee.mit.edu/master-of-engineering

Great question, I will revise my original response

Thanks for the reply guys!

While the quality of life may not be as great, i see it as a great opportunity to check out the East Coast.

The only reservation I have to going to MIT is their weakness in earthquake knowledge - which is what I'm really looking for in a grad school. But another side of me is saying that I will have an opportunity to learn while I'm working.........

I really don't know .. I just don't want to regret not experiencing the East Coast...

I answered Berkeley/Engineering without realizing that was referring to the MEng degree; I'd choose Berkeley and an MS in Engineering for sure, at least given those options.

That said, MIT would be a fantastic place to go if you want to go out and see the east. Considering the tuition price is similar, it could be worth it. As far as weather goes, I'm a California kid going to school in the northeast and it really depends on the person. Some people here just get used it and others yearn for warmer weather. Cambridge/Boston is a nice area, but then again, so is Berkeley. Given your inclination toward staying in CA afterwards and earthquake engineering, I'd give Berkeley a real good look before deciding against it.

Thanks so much for the responses, MTJC - I really liked your reasoning - thanks!

I'm still unsure. I REALLY would hate regretting not experiencing the East coast...... but who knows where my life will take me down the road........

Gosh, I didn't think it would be this hard haha.

Good luck to you all!! i still have a bunch of thinking to do

• 1 year later...