UPenn Demography vs Sociology

SocHope

So, hey, anyone here familiar with the two programs at UPenn?

I'm interested in getting a joint PhD in Demography and Sociology, and UPenn was strongly recommended by my graduate advisor and and a number of other people. Ultimately I'd have to be accepted by both departments in order to pursue the joint degree, but it looks like admittance into the second program can come after beginning the first.

My question is, how big of a difference would it make applying to Demography first? I'm looking at their admissions statistics (http://www.pop.upenn...triculants.html) and it makes me optimistic. Unfortunately the Sociology dept. doesn't have such detailed statistics, so there's nothing to compare to, but I'm imagining UPenn's Sociology dept. gets a lot more than ~30 applicants a year.

By the way, how awesome is it that the Demog dept. publicizes such detailed admissions statistics?? I wish all schools did that! =/

Edited by SocHope

Penn is highly ranked in both Demography and Sociology, so you can't go wrong there. I'm not sure about

Let me also suggest you look at Penn State's joint program in Sociology and Demography. Full discretion, I'm attending PSU this fall and planning on completing the dual-degree program, but that said I think I can still speak to it's thoroughness and quality. For PSU, you apply and get accepted into the Soc. program and then opt into the Demography program housed by the Population Center. Beyond those two programs I don't know of any that have joint degrees but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

From the impression I get, you should apply to the program which you feel best reflects your interests. If your primary interests are in population, it may be better to apply to the demography department. Keep in mind, however, that in the event you apply to the demography department and your research interests extend into other fields of sociology outside of demography, you may want to apply to sociology.