PLS TELL ME ABOUT NYU SCPS-GLOBAL AFFAIRS/Politics degree better in UK than the US?

I know there aren't a lot of people who know much about this program (MSc in Global Affairs) at NYU, since its relatively new....But I don't want to waste time, money, hope etc studying something that's simply not worth it.

I keep hearing that NYU SCPS is just a money machine that accepts anyone...Is that really true? Please let me know anything you know about this program!

NYU is the only place I've applied to in the US. I got accepted in th Gallatin school and NYU SCPS< but I think if I do choose NYU I'll go with the SCPS because I like the courses, events etc. What I found on the website anyway.

I'm also having second thoughts about studying politics in the US, which is why I've applied to London. I've been rejected by King's College (UoL), first prgram choice in SOAS (waiting results of second program), and still haven't heard from LSE, UCL and Queen Mary (not holding my breath either). I've only been accepted in City University of London which sucks.

Although Queen Mary University isn't very well known, I'm thinking of choosing it over NYU if I do get accepted. Location is very important to me, and I feel in this case I need to be around people, find groups, network...etc with people who have similar ideas as I do, similar political views, working for the same goals etc. And, no offense to any Americans, but I'm not exactly fond of American foreign policy and I although I'm sure there are a variety of opinions in the US, I believe I'll be more comfortable in a place like Europe.

I just need to know more about NYU SCPS before I can decide that though... Is it good? Does it suck? Is the education there better than the one in Queen Mary, for example? (Ranking wise NYU is top 27-60, varying by list. Queen Mary is late 100's, around 180's I believe). But rankings are hardly accurate. Then again a name is important. But I really care about getting experience and LEARNING.

SOMEONE HELP :"(

Have a similar problem.

Got into both NYU and the Elliot School for International Relations. Didnt know about the global affairs program at NYU at the time. The thing is I want NYU because of the city and because it seems to be a better University but Elliot seems to have a better program? Confused about which to pick.

Also trying to decide the relative merits of the UK vs the US. Is essex meant to be good for Intenrational Relations?

Still hoping my wait lists come through. Either Columbia or Hopkins would be amazing!

Have a similar problem.

Got into both NYU and the Elliot School for International Relations. Didnt know about the global affairs program at NYU at the time. The thing is I want NYU because of the city and because it seems to be a better University but Elliot seems to have a better program? Confused about which to pick.

Also trying to decide the relative merits of the UK vs the US. Is essex meant to be good for Intenrational Relations?

Still hoping my wait lists come through. Either Columbia or Hopkins would be amazing!

When I checked world university rankings (and I checked many since none of them seemed completely believeable), GWU always came much lower than NYU did. NYU was always between 30-60, sometimes being a 41 when Brown was a 39, and a 60 when Harvard was a 37. GWU was always lower than NYU in each ones, sometimes a bit and sometimes much lower (in the 100's). Of course I know those things aren't really trustworthy but it feels better going to the school thats always ranked better than the other.

However, the Elliot program is much more established than NYU SCPS. I don't know how good it is, didnt apply there and didnt research, but...Its been there...NYU SCPS is really new.

I didn't apply to SIPA because I didnt like their core courses. I didnt apply anyhwere except NYU because I didnt want to be anywhere except NYC. Im starting to doubt this decision but in a wa I feel the opportunities in NYC generally cannot be compared with anywhere else. D C might have more opportunities when it comes to politics though.

I wish I knew someone who actually went to this NYU school. Theres just not enough info about it online.

A bit busy so can't post too much--

But believe me, world rankings--take it with a grain of salt--

Look at rankings in Foreign Policy magazine for IR--

(Although rankings overall, you should take with a grain of salt--)

For UK--Take a look at rae2008 or previous rae...

(UK Rankings are even more of a joke than USnews)--

Also, departments matter--not just the overall school rep.

(Although I think there are numerous forums on this...)

PS...Comparing NYU SCPS to GWU Elliott...

Is like comparing---a horse to a car...just saying..

If you do more research, a lot of this information is pretty obvious..

(Internet...use it a litte more..)

Edited by London-Tokyo

A bit busy so can't post too much--

But believe me, world rankings--take it with a grain of salt--

Look at rankings in Foreign Policy magazine for IR--

(Although rankings overall, you should take with a grain of salt--)

For UK--Take a look at rae2008 or previous rae...

(UK Rankings are even more of a joke than USnews)--

Also, departments matter--not just the overall school rep.

(Although I think there are numerous forums on this...)

PS...Comparing NYU SCPS to GWU Elliott...

Is like comparing---a horse to a car...just saying..

If you do more research, a lot of this information is pretty obvious..

(Internet...use it a litte more..)

NYU's MSc in Global Affairs has been rated as one of the top ten IR programs by the Foreign Policy Association. Does that mean anything at all? (I know you just said they're basically a joke but then again you told me to check a magazine that does ratings so maybe they're not so much a joke?)

http://www.fpa.org/info-url4715/info-url_list_more.htm?attrib_id=12902&doc_category_id=1127

NYU's MSc in Global Affairs has been rated as one of the top ten IR programs by the Foreign Policy Association. Does that mean anything at all? (I know you just said they're basically a joke but then again you told me to check a magazine that does ratings so maybe they're not so much a joke?)

http://www.fpa.org/i...ategory_id=1127

To my knowledge, FPA and Foreign Policy Magazine are two different organizations...

And, that Foreign Policy Magazine bi-annually (every two years) ranks the IR programs undergraduate & master's level..

Foreign Policy Association just lists several different programs, irregarding rank, and the description is most likely from the individual school's webpage...

When I said it's a joke, and take it with a grain of salt, I'm referring to World Rankings, UK Rankings in general...etc.

However, there are other more concrete and substantive rankings that have more weight, such as rae2008 etc. in the UK, Foreign Policy Magazine for IR in the US...etc.

There are other threads that have discussed these issues, so if you search around I'm sure you'll find something.

Again, SCPS is perhaps a major deterrent, since it is the continuing studies...Just my $.02...

To my knowledge, FPA and Foreign Policy Magazine are two different organizations...

And, that Foreign Policy Magazine bi-annually (every two years) ranks the IR programs undergraduate & master's level..

Foreign Policy Association just lists several different programs, irregarding rank, and the description is most likely from the individual school's webpage...

When I said it's a joke, and take it with a grain of salt, I'm referring to World Rankings, UK Rankings in general...etc.

However, there are other more concrete and substantive rankings that have more weight, such as rae2008 etc. in the UK, Foreign Policy Magazine for IR in the US...etc.

There are other threads that have discussed these issues, so if you search around I'm sure you'll find something.

Again, SCPS is perhaps a major deterrent, since it is the continuing studies...Just my $.02...

Was referring to the MA International Relations program in the Department of Politics. Does anyone know anything about that?? Agree that Elliot seems to be the more established University but seems to send most its grads into the Fed govt. Im an international student so that isnt really an option. Hence the problem.

Was referring to the MA International Relations program in the Department of Politics. Does anyone know anything about that?? Agree that Elliot seems to be the more established University but seems to send most its grads into the Fed govt. Im an international student so that isnt really an option. Hence the problem.

Although significantly more "legitimate" than it's SCPS counterpart, I'm not an expert on the subject, so can offer no further comment.

Why can't I type that in a more simple...humanely manner...:P

But I can say that, the Elliott School is a powerhouse for IR, and many people I know that are graduates have worked in numerous int'l. orgs.,

esp. if they were an international student to begin with. Off the top of my head, I can think of HK, Tokyo--

A lot of ppl go into private consulting firms, world bank, and UN orgs.---So def, individual supercedes "Uni limiatations" in terms of job...

So, imo, I don't see the problem...Eh, it's hard to be private and personal at the same time, so trying to give my advice without giving too much unnecessary details.

Although significantly more "legitimate" than it's SCPS counterpart, I'm not an expert on the subject, so can offer no further comment.

Why can't I type that in a more simple...humanely manner...:P

But I can say that, the Elliott School is a powerhouse for IR, and many people I know that are graduates have worked in numerous int'l. orgs.,

esp. if they were an international student to begin with. Off the top of my head, I can think of HK, Tokyo--

A lot of ppl go into private consulting firms, world bank, and UN orgs.---So def, individual supercedes "Uni limiatations" in terms of job...

So, imo, I don't see the problem...Eh, it's hard to be private and personal at the same time, so trying to give my advice without giving too much unnecessary details.

Thanks. Leaning towards Eliot but still thinking. You seem to be from Eliot. or atleast know alot about it, so do you have any idea how the evening classes with the interning in the day works out?

Thanks. Leaning towards Eliot but still thinking. You seem to be from Eliot. or atleast know alot about it, so do you have any idea how the evening classes with the interning in the day works out?

Yes--I am a Senior at Elliott--Graduating in a few days :D

However, I'm not exactly sure how evening classes with interning works out.

I always stick with the policy, that if I don't know enough about something, I'd rather not mislead.

Things I do know, I share.

Anyways, I'm done with the US--and hopefully will get my Masters in the UK, than another in France :D

Yes--I am a Senior at Elliott--Graduating in a few days :D

However, I'm not exactly sure how evening classes with interning works out.

I always stick with the policy, that if I don't know enough about something, I'd rather not mislead.

Things I do know, I share.

Anyways, I'm done with the US--and hopefully will get my Masters in the UK, than another in France :D

London-Tokyo, could you pls check your PM's and reply to it...Im interested on your take on something.

London-Tokyo, could you pls check your PM's and reply to it...Im interested on your take on something.

I'm pretty sure I replied to your PM a while back...and then subsequently deleted it (since I like clean inboxes :P)...

But yea. I guess you could re-PM me. But I'll be busy the following days.