NSF GRFP

timuralp

I submitted my official transcripts to NSF on 11/05/2008. However, I noticed a couple months ago on my "Current Application Package Status" page that the date received was updated to 01/05/2009. Perhaps, NSF wanted to view my Fall semester grades? Anyone have something similar?

mine just say when they were received which was 9/22/2009 and 9/23/2009... it's said that since i submitted my application. sometimes schools take a really long time to send transcripts though. i don't know that anyone other than yourself can request an official transcript from your university, so i'm not sure that nsf would be "allowed" to request one without your permission...

I submitted my official transcripts to NSF on 11/05/2008. However, I noticed a couple months ago on my "Current Application Package Status" page that the date received was updated to 01/05/2009. Perhaps, NSF wanted to view my Fall semester grades? Anyone have something similar?

They say in the FAQs that fall grades were not required. I don't know why the date would change like that. I don't think it changed for me.

Nope, but seeing as that would be violating the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), I doubt that's the case. You only grant the institution to which you're sending your transcripts the right to view the transcripts at the time they're sent, you are not giving them the right to request transcripts at a later date and have that request filled without your approval. Once the institution has your transcripts, they are not permitted to forward them on to others (without a subpoena). This authority is non-delegable once you are over age 18 or attending an institution that is above the high school level (http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html), so your department or adviser could not have made that decision for you either.

More likely there was a clerical error and your grades were we-uploaded by the NSF GRFP staff.

Nope, but seeing as that would be violating the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), I doubt that's the case. You only permit the institution to which you're sending your transcripts the right to view the transcripts at the time they're sent, you are not giving them the right to request transcripts at a later date and have that request filled without your approval. This right is non-delegable once you are over age 18 or attending an institution that is above the high school level (http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html).

More likely there was a clerical error and your grades were we-uploaded by the NSF GRFP staff.

I sent my official transcripts for the NDSEG around 1/05. Does NSF share transcripts with the ASEE?

I sent my official transcripts for the NDSEG around 1/05. Does NSF share transcripts with the ASEE?

I served an addendum to my post immediately prior to your question:

Once the institution has your transcripts, they are not permitted to forward them on to others (without a subpoena).

If only I was a minute faster...

I am not sure about intra-agency transfers; if the DOJ wanted to see your grades after you sent them to the NSF, I believe they would be allowed to do that. However, seeing as the ASEE is a private institution, they would not be permitted to forward along your transcripts according to FERPA.

You don't have to send transcripts explicitly to NSF and the NDSEG. I believe it says this in the application. They (NDSEG and GRFP programs) share an office, and therefore the address you send the transcripts to is actually the same place. They can't, however, share GRE scores since it's a pay-per-score type situation.

The "Results will be posted in early april" message is now gone from fastlane web page.

hmm...

Well, they had to change something. Downtime or no, something had to change since we were all expecting it. They're just keeping us happy.

I'm very disappointed in you, NSF, so very disappointed. Stop messing around and just give us what we want!

Where's the fun in that? They're obviously doing this for some sort of psychological test. Funded by their own funds, of course.