NSF GRFP

timuralp

Anybody else here posting things without much content just because they want to see this thread hit 50 pages before the results even come out? Because I know I am...

postcount++

edit: bonus!, pagecount++

Yes. Case in point. :D

Last year I could see the list online a day before I got my email.

Somebody on here asked about that when they called, and they said it was definitely a mistake and wouldn't happen again this year.

Last year I could see the list online a day before I got my email.

Yeah, but I think someone said they heard that NSF is making a point this year not to leak the list before people receive their email. How successful they will be is to be seen, but assuming they don't make any mistakes, we probably won't see a list until we've already been notified somehow.

i know people in earlier posts were talking about how some people are notified all right but some were not notified by email until after the list was posted. Although the latter case might be more the exception...regardless, I don't care as long as we find out in some shape/form.

"My mom's a fish! [or something like that, cannot remember exact quote]"

-What's his name from As I Lay Dying

"Eagles don't flock."

-Stupid inspirational poster quote in my incompetent college adviser's office

anyone want to go halves on a pie and stay up all night waiting to see if they post the results even though they probably won't until the 15th?

I want to split a pie. That sounds really good. I'm not staying up all night, though. As soon as I get done grading this undergrad homework, I'm off to bed.

Man, undergrads have the strangest (occasionally dumbest) ways of going about problems.

oh, and by the way, i called nsf last week and the person over the phone said, "our goal is to announce results by APRIL 15TH."

my guess is that's what they say just to get us to stop bothering them. Just early enough that people won't have a legitimate reason for heart attacks, but late enough that they aren't making any promises they can't keep.

I want to split a pie. That sounds really good. I'm not staying up all night, though. As soon as I get done grading this undergrad homework, I'm off to bed.

Man, undergrads have the strangest (occasionally dumbest) ways of going about problems.

Amen to that. I just finished grading a problem set...after 4 hours, most of which was spent banging my head against a wall.

so are any of you already in PhD programs with guaranteed funding or is everybody here in freakout mode because this funding is crucial to your academic future?

edit: not to downplay anything, I realize that it's important to everyone

so are any of you already in PhD programs with guaranteed funding or is everybody here in freakout mode because this funding is crucial to your academic future?

yes, i am in a phd program. i am guaranteed funding for 2 years. but, the labs i want to work in for my thesis do not have funding. so, i'd have to apply for an NRSA or something if i don't get funded.

Anybody got any ghost stories?

Unfortunately I don't, but that would be fun.

my phd program supports me, so funding is not absoLUTEly necessary for me, but it would definitely give me more freedom in my research.

I got accepted to a PhD program with full tuition, health insurance, and stipend until I graduate. But the stipend is $25,000 per year. Actually, all PhD programs in BME fund their grad students (I think...).

I've already got a fellowship from one school, and I'm waitlisted at another (and decided against the rest). I'm hoping NSF award decisions being released will make the select few people ahead of me finalize their decisions, so I can either move on with plans at the first school or have time to properly assess the second one.

I've already got a fellowship from one school, and I'm waitlisted at another (and decided against the rest). I'm hoping NSF award decisions being released will make the select few people ahead of me finalize their decisions, so I can either move on with plans at the first school or have time to properly assess the second one.

I'm in the same situation... I hope a week and a half is enough time to contact those schools and get some feedback from them?