NSF GRFP

timuralp

so are any of you already in PhD programs with guaranteed funding or is everybody here in freakout mode because this funding is crucial to your academic future?

edit: not to downplay anything, I realize that it's important to everyone

I don't have any concrete funding for next year at the moment, but I doubt my department would let me drop. Still, if I don't get the NSF, the course of my research may be forced to change, depending on the type of funds that are available.

I'm in the same situation... I hope a week and a half is enough time to contact those schools and get some feedback from them?

I don't think having outside funding will make that school magically accept me. They've apparently already rejected somebody off the waitlist that was (presumably) in a different subfield, so it really just depends on what the better candidates in my subfield decide. If I do get in, I'm planning on making the 12 hour drive out there within a day or two of when I find out.

My department has full funding/stipend for the whole time but the NSF would give me the freedom to do a project joint between two labs...if it's a no go, I'll probably have to pick one and that prof will fund me.

It'd be nice to bring your own money and have a bit more carte blanche in terms of research!!

I don't think having outside funding will make that school magically accept me. They've apparently already rejected somebody off the waitlist that was (presumably) in a different subfield, so it really just depends on what the better candidates in my subfield decide. If I do get in, I'm planning on making the 12 hour drive out there within a day or two of when I find out.

hmm, i know it sounds unlikely, but based on people's earlier posts, maybe they would reverse the other person's rejection if it turned out they had external funding? that would be cool.

has anyone seen boogey man 2? they played that on sci fi channel the other day. i was surprised, it was scary (at least to me...)

bleh

anyone else devote a pretty significant chunk of their life to writing this NSF proposal? At least for me it was the first big thing outside of college and grad schools that I have applied for.

dude, i know people on this forum said they applied to berkeley, right? Wasn't that application insane? Not only did they have a section asking if you have any patents, they ask you to LIST them, and provide like 20 SPACES!!! needless to say, i was not surprised to get that rejection letter.

anyone still in on getting a pizza?

if I had applied and received this fellowship last year, and if berkeley or harvard agreed to reverse my rejection, that would have been awesome. Seems like it would be an awkward situation though...I'm not sure if it would be more awkward for me or them though.

It depends on the school and how qualified you were. An NSF is a big deal. Not only is it money, but it's redemption; I can't imagine a school in the country that doesn't regard NSF fellows highly.

NSF doesn't change the fact that they can only take on a few people in my subfield each year without overwhelming the two professors taking on students.

if I had applied and received this fellowship last year, and if berkeley or harvard agreed to reverse my rejection, that would have been awesome. Seems like it would be an awkward situation though...I'm not sure if it would be more awkward for me or them though.

I was thinking that this would also mean that there really isn't time to find an adviser that you sync with. I'm waiting on one school, but I think that even if I get this, I will go to one of the schools that I have visited and found potential advisers in.

I was thinking that this would also mean that there really isn't time to find an adviser that you sync with. I'm waiting on one school, but I think that even if I get this, I will go to one of the schools that I have visited and found potential advisers in.

Yeah, I guess having potential advisers lined up is important. How do engineering phd programs typically work? For biochemistry, we rotated in three labs before choosing a thesis lab.

I just found this forum. In a "misery loves company" way, it helps to know I'm not the only one obsessively checking the site (and having done so for like a month now even though I knew it'd be late March at the soonest). I guess I knew I wasn't the only one, but it's cool to find others I can talk to about it. Good luck everyone!

To answer the most recent question, I'm a 1st yr grad student so it doesn't affect any school/funding decisions for me. It does affect what direction my research takes. I hope they announce it soon for the people who have to decide.

Hmmm. It appears I have stumbled upon a glitch.

Go to Fastlane, and click on the "Award Offers and Honorable Mention List." Now, look at the URL. It should end with "method=loadAwardeelist" (or this won't work). Now, delete the part that says "-beta." Make sure everything else stays the same.

If you did this right, you should find the lost land of the 2008 winners.

And that is the end of my hacking skillz. Someone with more Hacking XP will have to continue this.

Go to Fastlane, and click on the "Award Offers and Honorable Mention List." Now, look at the URL. It should end with "method=loadAwardeelist" (or this won't work). Now, delete the part that says "-beta." Make sure everything else stays the same.

Nice. I tried combining this with adding the "2009" option to the drop-down box using Firebug. The list is apparently not up yet, but I was able to download a quasi-empty Excel file with "one applicant"'s information. (Actually the applicant was just the header - Name, Bacc Inst., etc.). Happy waiting!

Dudes, I had this crazy dream last night. I think it may have been a premonition. NSF had posted their results and...well I made you another comic.

winnerssmall.tif

Hmmm. It appears I have stumbled upon a glitch.

And that is the end of my hacking skillz. Someone with more Hacking XP will have to continue this.

cool. But too bad 2009 isn't in there...

Just called NSF...spoke with a completely new voice...and was told that results will be posted they are "hoping by the end of the week". So I said, is there any chance at all they could be posted earlier, like today or tomorrow? And she said "no, unfortunately not."

Nice. I tried combining this with adding the "2009" option to the drop-down box using Firebug. The list is apparently not up yet, but I was able to download a quasi-empty Excel file with "one applicant"'s information. (Actually the applicant was just the header - Name, Bacc Inst., etc.). Happy waiting!

Dudes, I had this crazy dream last night. I think it may have been a premonition. NSF had posted their results and...well I made you another comic.

winnerssmall.tif

NICE TIMING ON THE IMAGE

i'm glad i had my transcripts soaked in urine