Non-traditional student advice

morethansunshine

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking these forums for a while now so I decided to finally submit my first post!

I am a senior life sciences student at UCLA, under the Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics department.

In my university, this is regarded as the hardest and most analytically-intensive major in the life science department.

With that being said, I will be graduating with a meager 3.45/4.0 GPA, but with a research experience under a virology lab as well as in an algae lab.

Very recently, I got interested in engineering -- specifically in bioengineering since I have been working with Hydrogen production of algae for bioenergy and I naturally want to take it a step further and work outside of the lab and into the industry.

I know getting into something that I am not accustomed to is difficult, but I would just like to know your opinions.

What my mindset as of the moment is to find a job in the industry where I get to work closely with engineers so that I could see what I would be going into.

Other than that, how do you recommend me preparing for this type of transition?

Edited by morethansunshine

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking these forums for a while now so I decided to finally submit my first post!

I am a senior life sciences student at UCLA, under the Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics department.

In my university, this is regarded as the hardest and most analytically-intensive major in the life science department.

With that being said, I will be graduating with a meager 3.45/4.0 GPA, but with a research experience under a virology lab as well as in an algae lab.

Very recently, I got interested in engineering -- specifically in bioengineering since I have been working with Hydrogen production of algae for bioenergy and I naturally want to take it a step further and work outside of the lab and into the industry.

I know getting into something that I am not accustomed to is difficult, but I would just like to know your opinions.

What my mindset as of the moment is to find a job in the industry where I get to work closely with engineers so that I could see what I would be going into.

Other than that, how do you recommend me preparing for this type of transition?

well you can always apply for bioengineering jobs for an entry position with hopes to get a position. However, the easiest and shortest transition would be for you to just get an MS in bioengineering. Depending on what engineering route of bioengineering would all depend on what courses you'd need to take as prereqs. This is obviously if you know thats exactly what you want to do.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I forgot to mention that i am planning on getting a masters degree in an engineering field. I have heard of Boston University's LEAP program, and I will definitely be applying there. What I was wondering was, with the qualifications that I have, how likely will I be able to get into masters programs in other schools (UCSB, for example)? And do any of you recommend a good program for me?