Help! TA Interview...

tt503

I'm interviewing at a department (at a school that I'm currently attending...and a department I was planning on applying to this upcoming cycle) for a GTA position (they don't have enough TA's for some reason). I already have a Master's in the general area of study...which presumably is why I'm being considered. The course itself is somewhat outside of my previous knowledge background (although not entirely. I've studied the material individually, never in a comparative analysis which is what would happen). It is also a sophomore level course, so I'm not too scared of the range of difficulty and am confident i could do a good job.

I have an interview on Tuesday, and I was wondering what I should do to prepare:

Should I make a portfolio that contains my C.V., my graduate school transcripts/course descriptions, maybe a paper (though I don't really have one polished enough for consideration)? Or would this look too desperate?

What questions should I be prepared for? I'm currently reading the scholar's work that I would be the TA for....anything else?

Thanks!

When I interviewed to be a TA, I brought a copy of my CV and a list of references. (I had taught before; they could speak to my TA-abilities.) I wore nice slacks and ironed my shirt, prepared a few questions for the prof, and showed ate breakfast that morning.

Don't over think it! You're only going to stress yourself out needlesly.

Your teaching chops are what the prof will be largely interested in, so present yourself as someone who will be a good TA (i.e. confdent and articulate). I think a big thing that helped me get the job was preparing a few questions that to ask about the course, because at the end of the interview s/he will inevitably ask you: Do you have any questions? It's super awkward to say "No." (Some questions to consider: How do you see the TA role being ideally filled? How do you expect your lectures and the TA-led discussion sections to be run? What do you most want students to walk away with at the end of the semester? etc.)

Good luck tomorrow!

When I interviewed to be a TA, I brought a copy of my CV and a list of references. (I had taught before; they could speak to my TA-abilities.) I wore nice slacks and ironed my shirt, prepared a few questions for the prof, and showed ate breakfast that morning.

Don't over think it! You're only going to stress yourself out needlesly.

Your teaching chops are what the prof will be largely interested in, so present yourself as someone who will be a good TA (i.e. confdent and articulate). I think a big thing that helped me get the job was preparing a few questions that to ask about the course, because at the end of the interview s/he will inevitably ask you: Do you have any questions? It's super awkward to say "No." (Some questions to consider: How do you see the TA role being ideally filled? How do you expect your lectures and the TA-led discussion sections to be run? What do you most want students to walk away with at the end of the semester? etc.)

Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks so much! I did everything you said, and it went well. They pretty much were excited that I was in a similar field, as opposed to getting TAs from other departments who don't have as much knowledge in the field as me. Thanks again!