Where Do I Begin?

minorsecond

Hello everyone! This is my first post here. I'm Ross, from the University of North Texas!

Summary At End

I'm currently a junior earning a B.S. in Geography. If my plan works out, I'll graduate December 2001. I want to go to grad school afterwards but have no idea where to start. I know that I need to take the GRE, find a school, write a SOP, get LoR's, and do a lot of finger-crossing. I feel like I should already be doing some of this (I plan on taking the GRE Asap) now, but don't know where to start. It feels overwhelming!

As for the letters of recommendation,I haven't done a good job of getting to know my professors, so I am afraid the letters of recommendation will be a little difficult to come by. I'm trying to get to know them though.

GRE - I am going to look at some study software when my next paycheck arrives. Do any of you have any recommendations?

After doing a lot of browsing on this site, I've come to realize that I should probably start working on my SoP soon. How did you all go about starting on this?

Now, the bad part about all of this is that I went through a bad phase a while back (I've been going through school slowly) and killed my GPA. It was below a 2.0 at one point, but after duplicating some courses it is now at a 2.48. I figured it up and it looks like I won't be able to bring it up to a 3.0, but can get it to around 2.9. How much will this hurt me? I know that some schools require a 3.0 for the last 60 hours, but I only have ~40 hours remaining.

Thank you!

The summary:

-24 junior, working towards B.S. in Geography

-I know the basics (GRE, SoP, LoR, etc..."

-I'll graduate December 2011. What should I be doing now?

Go to the ETS website and take the free sample tests available on the site to determine where your score lies. It will be a good starting point to see your weaknesses and strengths (be aware that these free sample tests are rather outdated and old). You would probably want to aim for higher GRE scores. You should look up schools that you are interested in attending and see their requirements (GRE, GPA, relevant courses) at the same time make contact with potential advisers. If you don't have any relevant experience, I would suggest trying to get some experience.

Before you begin writing a Statement of Purpose (or as part of that process)—and before you start worrying about your application packet—you need to develop a really clear idea of the kind of research you want to do. Then you'll want to start looking for schools that fit what you want to study (and how you want to study it).

So my advice would be to make developing a clear scholarly identity for yourself your first priority. If you're not already, read read read in your discipline. Identify scholars that are meaningful to you, or paths of inquiry you'd like to go in.

If your advisor does not suggest something you might also want to ask professors in your area of interest yourself. Since individual lab openings in many universities is beyond the scope of advisors. Also understand that much undergraduate research is unpaid so if you can work it into a special projects course doing well in it could help your GPA.