Fall 2012 Molecular Bio Phd Chances?

dorian14

Hi,

I'm a domestic rising senior applying to a number of Molecular Bio programs this fall. I was wondering about how I stand alongside other applicants out there? I've got a 3.7 GPA at a top 10 USWNR university, have been working in a lab since freshman year, and have a handful of undergraduate publications, along with a 3rd author paper recently submitted to a top journal. i think I should have a very strong rec from my PI as well.

I recently took my GRE and got 780Q, and 610V. However, my writing and bio subject test aren't as hot....4.5 and 720 respectively. Do you think it would still be worth retaking the GRE to improve my writing score, or the GRE subject Bio? Would it be worth sending the subject score at all? I'm still not quite sure what schools truly mean when they say that subject scores are "recommended." I'm looking to apply to programs such as Stanford Biosci.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by dorian14

Hi,

I'm a domestic rising senior applying to a number of Molecular Bio programs this fall. I was wondering about how I stand alongside other applicants out there? I've got a 3.7 GPA at a top 10 USWNR university, have been working in a lab since freshman year, and have a handful of undergraduate publications, along with a 3rd author paper recently submitted to a top journal. i think I should have a very strong rec from my PI as well.

I recently took my GRE and got 780Q, and 610V. However, my writing and bio subject test aren't as hot....4.5 and 720 respectively. Do you think it would still be worth retaking the GRE to improve my writing score, or the GRE subject Bio? Would it be worth sending the subject score at all? I'm still not quite sure what schools truly mean when they say that subject scores are "recommended." I'm looking to apply to programs such as Stanford Biosci.

Thanks for your help!

I think the subject test definitely played an integral part in my husband's admission to two programs. Your writing GRE shouldn't be a problem, as it seems to be on par with past Stanford Biosci admits.

You have a strong application. Don't worry too much. Do your best and then focus your energy on other parts of the application.

So I'm starting in Stanford Bio Sci this fall, and my credentials are similar. You should definitely have a shot :-)

Beyond what you already said, make sure you have three strong recommendations and that all of the supplemental essays they make you do tie together nicely.

What Home Program are you looking at?

So I'm starting in Stanford Bio Sci this fall, and my credentials are similar. You should definitely have a shot :-)

Beyond what you already said, make sure you have three strong recommendations and that all of the supplemental essays they make you do tie together nicely.

What Home Program are you looking at?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Isanman, I'm looking into either developmental bio or molecular/cellular phys. I'm interested in cardiovascular development.

Would you guys recommend I submit/not submit my subject test score, or perhaps retake it?

Edited by dorian14

Thanks for the responses guys.

Isanman, I'm looking into either developmental bio or molecular/cellular phys. I'm interested in cardiovascular development.

Would you guys recommend I submit/not submit my subject test score, or perhaps retake it?

Ironically, I had around the same subject test score as you, and I had no idea what to do with it. I ended up sending it to 2/7 of the schools I applied to, Scripps because they required it and Stanford just for the heck of it. I definitely wouldn't worry about taking it again, though :-)

I also had another question about the application process. Do you think it's worth it to contact via email a couple of professors (with appealing research topics) at the schools I'm interested in to see if they're willing to take a graduate student in the upcoming year or two?

• 2 weeks later...

I also had another question about the application process. Do you think it's worth it to contact via email a couple of professors (with appealing research topics) at the schools I'm interested in to see if they're willing to take a graduate student in the upcoming year or two?

Depends on how certain you are of your interests. For example, many other interviewees I spoke with were very set on a specific topic of choice (as in, I ABSOLUTELY MUST work on siRNA in c. elegans). Those were the type of people more likely to already have established contact with professors working on their particular focus. I find a wide variety of research topics interesting so I didn't contact any professors until after my applications had already been evaluated and approved/denied. Hope that helps :-)