What's my chances?

Determined1

I'm applying in the Fall to a variety of different schools from ivy leagues to state schools, I'm applying based on professor not the actual schools.

Areas of Interest: Educational Psychology, Curriculum and Instruction, Culturally Relevant Pedagogy

Ungrad School: HBCU

GPA: 4.0

GRE: 1130

LOR: Strong

SOP: Strong

Research Experience: CIC-SROP Scholar (Big Ten), Ronald E. McNair Scholar, Research in collab w/a professor at another school

Extra Curriculars: Plenty all w/leadership positions

POI: all have the same interests as I do.

Awards/Honors: Plenty on school level, state level, and regional level

The only thing that I feel will hurt my application is my GRE and undergrad institution (one school told me they do admissions based on a sum of scores; HBCU score is significantly less than Ivy League or even Public Universities which is crazy to me).

What do you think are my chances are for a PhD program?

How many actual years of research experience does that add up to?

Your stats sound great with the exception of the GRE. Most places have GRE cutoffs of 1200. Obviously your other stellar stats could potentially make up for a less-than-great GRE score, but why have a flaw on your app if that flaw is easily rectifiable? Not to mention, having a higher GRE could increase your chances of getting funding down the line. I'd probably retake the GRE if I were you; it looks like it might be the only thing holding you back from an excellent application.

(FWIW, I don't think undergrad school matters all THAT much. What matters more is the connections you made with professors while there and while doing your research, as well as the quality of the research experience you had. You said you have good, strong LORs. That will go miles for you. The only thing that could be iffy about a less well-known undergrad is that your LOR writers might not be as familiar to the adcoms, or they might not know how your GPA compares to students from other schools. Fortunately for you, with a 4.0 you don't have to worry about the GPA issue; clearly you would have done very well academically by anyone's standards. And a strong LOR from a professor a committee doesn't know is better than a weak letter from a famous adviser who met you once.)