Community/ Applied Social Psychology

I actually have a few questions, but first I want to establish my background:

I am currently an undergraduate who will graduate with my BA in Psychology and International Studies in one and a half years (December of 2012). I am considering taking a year off between my graduation and applying for a PhD program in Community psychology or Applied Social psychology in order to get more experience.

Currently I have:

3.5 GPA overall

3.6 GPA Psychology

3.6 GPA International Studies

(3.0 GPA French minor, if that means anything)

My only research experience is the research project I will lead this upcoming fall (as part of the graduation requirements of my University)

I am hoping to get an internship for the Spring semester.

My community interests involve homelessness and immigration (adjustment to host countries, ect.)

So my questions:

1.) Should I focus my time getting more research experience or should I invest more time working in more of an applied setting? My ultimate career goal is directed toward more applied work, but I know that even that has a large research component within Community Psychology.

2.) I am considering getting my Masters and PhD in Europe. I understand that for clinical work I would need to get my PhD in the country I wish to work, however would getting my PhD outside of the USA hurt any chance for employment that I would have within the field of Community Psychology?

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have a few questions, but first I want to establish my background:

I am currently an undergraduate who will graduate with my BA in Psychology and International Studies in one and a half years (December of 2012). I am considering taking a year off between my graduation and applying for a PhD program in Community psychology or Applied Social psychology in order to get more experience.

Currently I have:

3.5 GPA overall

3.6 GPA Psychology

3.6 GPA International Studies

(3.0 GPA French minor, if that means anything)

My only research experience is the research project I will lead this upcoming fall (as part of the graduation requirements of my University)

I am hoping to get an internship for the Spring semester.

My community interests involve homelessness and immigration (adjustment to host countries, ect.)

So my questions:

1.) Should I focus my time getting more research experience or should I invest more time working in more of an applied setting? My ultimate career goal is directed toward more applied work, but I know that even that has a large research component within Community Psychology.

2.) I am considering getting my Masters and PhD in Europe. I understand that for clinical work I would need to get my PhD in the country I wish to work, however would getting my PhD outside of the USA hurt any chance for employment that I would have within the field of Community Psychology?

you need to do some research on what kind of non-academia jobs are available to you. As far as I know most of the phd programs in psychology will be heavily focused on academia afterwards. I'm not sure if this applies to community psychology, but social psychology ph.d programs definitely produces academics. so think through if applied work in the community is what you want to do, is a ph.d program for you. and there are good universities in europe as there is in the US so just do your research and make sure you are getting a good degree.

best way to get a sense of whats out there is talk with a prof in your department about your interests and see if they can guide you to the right source or person to talk to.

I'm actually a community-social psychology major at UMASS Lowell, and, though I do not work in academia, nor am I pursuing a PhD, I do have a chance to work with the community, which is exactly what I want to do. Community-oriented programs, like working as a clinician for a non-profit organization like the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (or whatever your state's equivalent might be), might be more up your ally. Unfortunately I can't offer much help in the way of studying in Europe for this field.