Low GPA with research experience

cocoi00

Hey everyone,

So, this question seems to have been asked to death, but I'm going to ask again. I'm a senior currently pursuing a degree in Environmental Engineering. My gpa is extremely low 2.2. I've had a lot of problems with depression and I'm a slow learner.

I've been doing research for almost two years now in biochemistry, and this summer I started my own research project and have even gotten a small undergraduate research fund to do it. Basically, would any grad school take me for a PhD in biochemistry?

I love research so much and had an amazing summer working on this project and one of my PI's projects. I have even started taking medication to treat the depression, so that I can do better in school and continue with the research.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about mentioning in the SOP, but take time to qualify your strengths. You have already taken steps to treat your depression, so it's obvious you want to feel normal and function at your best.

Are you a slow learner because you are "too" detail-oriented? Or maybe you think through concepts in non-traditional ways? You have an opportunity to use this to your advantage as a science student if you word it right, I think. Your "slow learning" could have also been influenced by depression, so maybe if you notice it's easier to learn now that you are on medication, you will be well on your way.

You also have significant research experience that has been recognized, no less, and your passion for research should shine through.

Ask an adviser about formulating justification for the SOP. Good luck!

• 1 month later...