Schools or programs to avoid in Classics?

Scecy

Are there schools or MA programs in Classics that are considered third rate, that should be avoided, that will actually hurt your chances of getting into a top PhD program?

What about PhD programs? Are there any that have a bad reputation and would hurt your chances of a job down the line?

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of the MA... not too sure. But stick with the known good schools: WUSTL, UColorado-Boulder, UArizona, Georgia, and FSU.

As far as PhD goes, yes, there are many programs to avoid. Unfortunately many of them are decent schools and programs. In order to secure a good tenure-track job in the field of classics, you need to have a strong PhD. Remember, every year the top-ten schools produce 2-6 fresh PhDs who will then enter the job market. That's about 20-60 people, and they're from top-ten schools. PLUS, you have all of those who for the past 3-5 years have been bouncing around from visiting professorship to visiting professorship who also are applying for jobs and also are from a top-ten school.

And remember, there are already few tenure-track jobs for a classicist as it is.

What does this mean? Quite simple really: If you don't get your PhD from an Ivy or a "par-Ivy" don't bother.

And yes, I'm sure someone will post on here that they know of professor X who received their PhD from a second-tier PhD program and they have tenure.... well great!! Look at the other 99% of tenured faculty and where they're from.

I hate it as much as you, but this is the unfortunate fact of our profession.

As for "par-Ivies", I would say: Berkeley, Stanford, Chicago, Michigan, Duke, and UNC-CH. If one of these, or an Ivy does not accept you, don't waste the six years.

Edited by Veilside1

That's a rather bleak way to look at things and I certainly wouldn't agree.

Having a fancy name on your degree will naturally help to a degree but it's more important about what you do in your years at grad school to set you apart from the pack. Basically that bit about rather few tenure-track jobs in Classics is bang on - so...if that's what you want, what makes you the best choice?

At the same time not getting your dream job first off is hardly limited to academia. That might mean doing some post-doc work, sessional instruction, teaching at a smaller University, etc, for a while...whatever you need to do to get into the field if it's really your passion.

That's a somewhat tricky questions which all depends on your own specific area.

Instead of Ivy-league or not I would pay more attention to the individual program and it's strengths. Again, this all depends on your own individual area of interest. I'd personally say that some of those 'par-Ivy' schools that Veil listed are actually more impressive at the moment than the traditional Ivy schools.

I think if it comes down to it and the place you go is offering some funding and this is what you want to do...grab the opportunity. Use the opportunity to grow and develop in ways other than just Classics knowledge and research and you'll probably be surprised at how you can leverage your skills and abilities.