MESSED UP..WANT TO GET INTO A GOOD UNIVERSITY

saicharanp

I got a admit to ASU for MS CS and i went there actually...but I couldnt help noticing the huge no of admits and falling standards and I returned back..

Now I have only one aim..to get into a real good university...of course stan n mit r out of bounds..but atleast yale/umich standard...

my undergrad percentage is messed up..jus 77...and Im planning to start right from gre again...

So can any1 guide me regarding gre/toefl whioch might help me cover the undergrad percentage...and possible research work?..I dont have a clue about research....how can I proceed..? Where do I have to start?

I think you are underestimating the [admission] competition at UMich/Yale. Anyway, focus on the GRE, especially the math section. Not sure about the research opportunities in India but IIT would seem a favorable name for adcomms, simply because it is recognizable. If you do research and get good LORs you might have a fighting chance.

Edited by adelashk

I think you are underestimating the [admission] competition at UMich/Yale. Anyway, focus on the GRE, especially the math section. Not sure about the research opportunities in India but IIT would seem a favorable name for adcomms, simply because it is recognizable. If you do research and get good LORs you might have a fighting chance.

thanks a lot..

but IIT? how can I associate myself with IIT tag? U mean..masters in IIT and phDs at these top univ?,,,and how to start with this research thing? approach a prof in some insti or..?

A master's in IIT might give you a chance to redeem your undergrad GPA, also provide you with some research experience when applying to PhD programs. It is an option to consider. You can also gain research experience from labs perhaps? I am not sure about research outside universities in India. Though if you think ASU is easy then you might excel and have a great app when applying to top schools for PhD, so there is a good side to it.

Edited by adelashk

A master's in IIT might give you a chance to redeem your undergrad GPA, also provide you with some research experience when applying to PhD programs. It is an option to consider. You can also gain research experience from labs perhaps? I am not sure about research outside universities in India. Though if you think ASU is easy then you might excel and have a great app when applying to top schools for PhD, so there is a good side to it.

thats something good to hear..thanks a lot..