Help! About taking the GRE?

Andrew Barnes

Hi, I've been away from academia for some time and some of my possible future endeavors require taking the GRE in which case I am all about replicating test conditions or getting used to taking the test. I would like feedback on some of the following:

1. What resources are the best as far as giving computerized versions of the test? The 2011-2012 Kaplan Premier comes to mind (is it the best) but I would like other suggestions if they are there.

2. As far as test conditions go, are you given headphones/earmuffs to block sound, or are you allowed to bring in earplugs?

3. When replicating test conditions, is a library best?

4. If not taking a course, what are the best ways of getting feedback on written portions of the exam? I understand ETS allows you to have two essays graded but I do not how much quality is provided. https://www.dxrgroup.com/cgi-bin/scoreitnow/index.pl Also, could you theoretically make multiple accounts to get more responses graded?

5. Finally, does anybody have an idea of what prep material is best (Barrons, Kaplan, Nova, multiple, etc.) to comprehensively prepare for the exam if you can devote 10-14 hours for 1-3 months?

I know it is a lot and I have only the greatest of thanks for any feedback that can be provided.

I can't answer all your questions, but I did take the GRE a week and a half ago. Kaplan, Princeton Review, and ETS all have free timed practice tests on their website. Utilize those free resources! You're given the option of noise-cancelling headphones once they seat you at your desk. And studying in a library is best, especially if they have private study rooms.

Yes, you can bring ear plugs, and they have headphones. However, I had no problems concentrating, so I didn't use either of those. As far as study materials, I personally liked Princeton Review. I bought the others, too, but I didn't get around to using them. Also, I felt like they weren't as easy to read as PR. As far as simulating test conditions, I would advise not doing it until the last few weeks. At first, I think you should take your time understanding the directions, question types, and explanations for correct responses. Once you have those down, then you can start timing yourself. Just my two cents. :)

1. There are numerous other test guides that provide interactive like versions for test prep. I don't know if any of us can say which test prep material is the best since it hasn't been even a month yet since the revised test came out. All I used was powerprep and I did well on the test while others on the forum have used other resources and done just as well,better, or worse. Really it depends on how much time you have to study and various other factors, such as how confident you are in your test taking capabilities and how well you already know various other material.

2. When I took the test it was quiet but they did have headphones if you needed them. Typically these are used for other tests that each testing center offers but you can use them.

3. As long as you are at a desktop I think you can mimic test conditions fairly well whether it be at home or at a library.

4. I had 2 essays graded graded by ETS for prep and had done different ones when I took my powerprep and I think it gave me a good idea of writing for the test. ETS does provide a list of possible essay questions on their website, I would recommend looking at those some.

5. Like I said since it has only been a month, it is a little hard to say what test prep is best. There have been a few topics about this on the forum but I also think money plays a role.

Hopefully that helps some.