Don't stress!!

Now that we're heading into the thick of grad school apps, I think it's safe to say we're all a bit stressed. I find myself growing even more stressed out from all the "I'm stressed" posts - my own included - so I figured we could use this thread to come up with good motivators and your best methods for de-stressing.

I've been keeping my dorm clean and orderly so that I'm not physically bogged down. Coming home to a bed that's made and a desk that still has visible space for working has helped to give me the sense of order that I desperately need right now.

Using softer scents, like lavendar and lilac, have relaxed my mind.

And given my overwhelming feeling of: "I need to get everything done NOW!!!!!!!!!" I've decided to create a schedule so that I only have to do just enough everyday without dedicating every waking hour to my work. It is important to take time away from the app packets so that you can return with a clear head and motivation to keep going.

What are you doing to make this process easier?

Cuddling my dog. A LOT. I have discovered that she really doesn't like Sylvia Plath and thinks Amy Winehouse is great. Considering trying her on Celia Dropkin but fear disastrous results.

Hecuba (yes, that is my dog) is, of course, a double-edged sword. Her cute little puppydog eyes make me feel really bad that i'm not playing with her as much because of all this work, but instead of that being a great motivator to get shit done, i've been using it as a great excuse to procrastinate.

Wine does the trick for me :huh: . Maybe since I have been through the process once before, I am not as nervous now about the actual applications. I am pretty type A, so making schedules and doing paperwork doesn't stress me out. However, I am retaking the GRE in 2 days and that is FREAKING me out because it was my achilles heel. I'm just not looking forward to February when we will all be checking our phones, emails, and mailboxes 10 times a day waiting for the responses. I am tuning that out for the time being. But wine, lots and lots of wine!

Edited by lolopixie

Wine does the trick for me :huh: . Maybe since I have been through the process once before, I am not as nervous now about the actual applications. I am pretty type A, so making schedules and doing paperwork doesn't stress me out. However, I am retaking the GRE in 2 days and that is FREAKING me out because it was my achilles heel. I'm just not looking forward to February when we will all be checking our phones, emails, and mailboxes 10 times a day waiting for the responses. I am tuning that out for the time being. But wine, lots and lots of wine!

I would have to agree that what I am most concerned with are the GREs. I have terrible test anxiety, and no matter what I do, I always do way worse on tests than what I'm actually capable of. I am retaking the general in two weeks, so I am hoping this new test will maybe work more in my favor.

As for the subject test that I am taking in October, I took a practice test without one second of studying just to see where I was and how much work I would have to do, and I got a 530, so that made me feel a little better since I have never taken a British lit class in my life (not counting Shakespeare, of course). I will only have 3 weeks between the general and the subject, so I am thinking that should be enough time to cram as much as I can to get a decent score on the subject, too. *Fingers crossed*

As for keeping calm, I'm using valium. LOL. I have anxiety disorder, so it's legit (prescribed). :)

Edited by Timshel

As for the subject test that I am taking in October, I took a practice test without one second of studying just to see where I was and how much work I would have to do, and I got a 530, so that made me feel a little better since I have never taken a British lit class in my life (not counting Shakespeare, of course). I will only have 3 weeks between the general and the subject, so I am thinking that should be enough time to cram as much as I can to get a decent score on the subject, too. *Fingers crossed*

Mind if I ask what practice test you used?

Mind if I ask what practice test you used?

It was the one that ETS gives you on their website. I have also bought a book at Barnes and Noble that was put out by ETS that I will be using to study after I get this general out of the way, and it has all the major works and people and what you will need to know for it.

I would have to agree that what I am most concerned with are the GREs. I have terrible test anxiety, and no matter what I do, I always do way worse on tests than what I'm actually capable of. I am retaking the general in two weeks, so I am hoping this new test will maybe work more in my favor.

As for keeping calm, I'm using valium. LOL. I have anxiety disorder, so it's legit (prescribed). :)

I'm still at odds on whether I will take the subject test or not. None of the schools that I'm applying to require it, so I don't know where I should spend the time, money, and energy studying for it. Waiting to find out how I do on Monday to see whether I will be taking the general again or not. Then I will determine if necessary.

Edited by lolopixie