Artists Statement for VCU

shmo264

Hello All,

Does anyone have any suggestions for the artists statement for the VCU MFA Sculpture application? They don't ask any particular questions and I have an artists statement, but I don't know if they wanted me to talk about why I'm applying, how I want to develop my work etc. Any input would be appreciated!

Yes to all of the above. They need to get to know your work, your influences, your desire to go to that specific program, and where you see your work developing. This isn't just VCU specific, but the same for most schools.

Just make them want you.

Thanks Michael, that makes a lot of sense. Starling I feel like using specific artists in a personal/artists statements may not be the best idea, unless you have a really strong reason like having interned with that particular artist or some other personal connection. Don't you think it's best to be as original as possible? Also to identify the connection you have with your own work. I guess it really depends on your reasons though.

All of those things need to be covered and add something tailored specifically to why VCU.

It seems like mentioning other artists could benefit you if you find some way to show how you see your work fitting in the art world? I'm not sure how you could go about it though. There was one program at least which mentioned for the SOP that you should be able to talk about your work in the scope of contemporary art history.

I totally included a few artists or writers in my SOP. I used it as a way to frame parts of my practice, things that were borrowed. But I could see it hurting some people's essays too. I think I wanted to give people an entry point to my work, to show how it developed off of other discourses going on. To shmo264: I guess this depends on your practice, but I don't frame my work in regards to originality, so bringing in specific influences didn't concern me.

I'm glad I'm reading this since I wasn't planning on being specific on my statement on the why I wanted to go to any specific school... I thought that justifying my goal for an MFA with the investigations I'm putting my work through and some other important reasons I'm jolting down would have been enough.

Also, I'm applying mostly to schools with an established reputation, so to me, it was implied why I'd want to go there.

On another note, I did list influences and artists whose work is dealing with similar problems or investigations, after one professor told me it's fine to be specific comparing your work to other artist's work since it shows you are grounded in the history of art (or that you are in tune with what's going on today in your field of exploration).

All of those things need to be covered and add something tailored specifically to why VCU.

It seems like mentioning other artists could benefit you if you find some way to show how you see your work fitting in the art world? I'm not sure how you could go about it though. There was one program at least which mentioned for the SOP that you should be able to talk about your work in the scope of contemporary art history.

I think the part of how your work fits in the art world is important but you could list it as something you are trying to figure out, and that you are hoping Grad school will help you accomplish that... (just my 2cents on that thought)....

You should mention artists only as needed to contextualize your work and show that you know who your artistic peers are. Do NOT "drop names" just for the sake of "showing off" (e.g., invoking famous theorists and quoting them, etc.).

Sometimes an unexpected reference can really get people's attention: "I find the work of Bob Ross oddly compelling . . . ." But it has to be really sincere and applicable and well-explained.

• 4 weeks later...