Graphic Design/Visual Communication MFA 2012

addgg4283

I figured I would start this topic as it is really hard to find any graphic design/visual communication design MFA applicants in conversation. This is just like other topics, just a place to ask questions, list the schools you are applying to, portfolio advice, etc.

I am currently in the (loooonnnggg) process of preparing my applications for entrance in 2012. I am applying to all midwest schools:

SAIC (Visual Communication Design & Interior Architecture)

U of Chicago

Columbia College Chicago

WashU

• 4 weeks later...

I intend to apply to MFA graphic design programs for fall 2012 as well. I am planning on applying to Calarts, RISD, Otis. I was wondering addgg4283, if you already had a graphic design BFA? Have you been working in the industry for awhile? Did you want to teach at the college level, hence the degree?

I'm actually coming from a different background, so I'm looking to apply to schools that accept students from different majors and I am also open to looking into state schools as well because those private schools are seriously an arm and a leg costwise! (and if i get in).

I was also thinking about Virginia Commonwealth, but I do not know much about it.Have you heard good things about the UIC mfa program?

• 2 months later...

I finished all my apps about a month ago, and I just heard from Illinois (Seattle) for an interview for this Sunday (02/05 -- yes, on the day of the Superbowl) via Skype. Anyone have any tips for graphic design interviews? Or any insider info about Illinois?

Any general advice would be much appreciated, actually :)

@i<3 design: I am applying to almost exclusively state schools b/c of cost, but I did a pre-portfolio review with MICA in mid November, and they said I was a very competitive applicant (even though I didn't end up applying there). I think a nice range of schools is the best bet, unless you are an oil tycoon's only child.

Hi,

I completed my [5] applications about a month ago, and was just informed from Yale that they would like to interview me. I applied to the 2 year MFA Graphic Design program, and have a few questions:

1. I am located in Israel - do I have to fly there for the interview? Or is it done on skype?

2. Do I have to bring portfolio work with me if I fly there?

3. Does anyone know what this interview exactly means? Do all applicants get invited or only a selection?

4. Does anyone here have an estimation of the chances to get accepted after the interview?

Thanks, and sorry if my questions are funny :] this is my first time going through this process.

Have a great weekend!

Questions 1 and 2 will have to be posed to Yale (although in graphic design "bringing a portfolio" just means a jump drive and maybe a book, and if you think otherwise I don't know how you got the interview in the first place).

Not everyone gets an interview. Note the posts in the "freak out forum." Many people received rejection emails from Yale yesterday.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that your chances are good for admission after the interview. Certainly much better than before!

Thanks Mocha,

I did get an email from Yale regarding the interview and portfolio. It pretty much answered my first two questions.

Actually, in graphic design a portfolio can be much more than just a jump drive - especially if you want to bring posters, packaging, books and sketchbooks to show work process and your way of thinking. True, I can arrange all that in slides [like on a website, or what I sent in the preliminary stage], but going through the real object is different. And if I'm already going there - why not?

I do admit though that sculpture applicants are in a totally different situation *hugging my computer* :]

Thanks for the reply! And good luck with your apps!

Well, graphic design applicants for faculty positions--who already HAVE MFAs--do everything with electronic files. Rather than a bulky portfolio, they might print out some images and bind them into a book. I've never once seen a large portfolio.

Hi

I have received a interview call from MICA. I am an international student. Can somebody tell me what can I expect in the interview. It's my first time and I'm really freaked out!

Hi

I have received a interview call from MICA. I am an international student. Can somebody tell me what can I expect in the interview. It's my first time and I'm really freaked out!

Hi nishtha,

I'm also interviewing to MICA GD program [interviewing on skype from Israel, are flying there from India?]

My undergrad is from Israel but I'm not considered an international because I'm an American citizen.

About your question regarding the interview, I talked to a student in the program [2nd year] who also interviewed from Israel. He said that the interview is a pleasant conversation with the program directors, and is mainly meant to see who you are, what kind of person you are - also so they can see if the program suites you, and also to see how you will fit in socially and professionally in the group of students that they are trying to form.

He also said [i was glad to hear this] that the interviewers were very friendly, and unlike the other schools he applied to, they seemed to actually have read his statement of purpose and were interested in it. This is of course based on one student's experience, and there may be other cases.

Try not to be nervous, and just be yourself! I know that's the biggest cliche, but it's the best advice you can get...

Good luck, we may even meet someday!

:]

Well, graphic design applicants for faculty positions--who already HAVE MFAs--do everything with electronic files. Rather than a bulky portfolio, they might print out some images and bind them into a book. I've never once seen a large portfolio.

Hi losemygrip,

I know you're message regards graphic design applicants who already have MFA's - but since I'm going to a Yale interview and am a bit nervous [and trying to decide how to bring a bunch of books and 50x70 posters from Israel] I'll ask the question - should I arrange and present my portfolio electronically? Yale specifically say to bring work with you. But I do feel that this bulky business can be avoided by preparing a neat presentation. What do you [or anyone else] think?

Thanx!

Song,

The Yale interview is very much concentrated on your physical work and materials. After looking at your portfolio, I believe you would benefit a great deal from having the physical items selected as your best work, probably around 10-12 pieces. The faculty and students were very engaged in looking at craft, materials, and holding the projects while you talk about them. Yale is a school still focused on print culture and craft, so I would say physical projects should be presented physically and digital projects digitally. Hope that helps!

Well, if they're specifying actual work (I think that's crazy, but whatever--everyone knows I'm no fan of Yale), then you should do it. I'd say if you're travelling just print things out small. Or you could do as I've seen some people do and have things printed and bound into a book, legal or ledger size. Be sure to design the book cover too, of course.

You know, the more I think about it, the nuttier this sounds. So much of the discipline today is web based and multimedia--motion graphics and all that stuff. It makes Yale sound VERY old fashioned.

Hello!

I just found out I have an interview at CalArts. Does anyone know about their interview process or have advice for interviews for Graphic Design programs in general? I am applying mostly for three year programs as I don't have much of a design background.

Thanks,

Rachel

Song,

The Yale interview is very much concentrated on your physical work and materials. After looking at your portfolio, I believe you would benefit a great deal from having the physical items selected as your best work, probably around 10-12 pieces. The faculty and students were very engaged in looking at craft, materials, and holding the projects while you talk about them. Yale is a school still focused on print culture and craft, so I would say physical projects should be presented physically and digital projects digitally. Hope that helps!

Hi Eschaton,

Thanks for the response! It's exactly how I thought - looks like I will have a lot of planning/packing/organizing to do.

It's good to know though, that Yale emphasizes on your actual print work and focuses so much on print culture and craft -

this is the only school I applied to that requires this.

Hi song..

thanks for the reply. it was pretty helpful! i am going to interview via skype... when is your interview? let me know how did it go

Hi nishtha,

Good luck! My Skype interview with MICA is on Wednesday - I'll message you about it if you remind me :]

I spoke to a current student there, and he said that the interview is more like an interesting and friendly conversation about design.

He was interviewed two years ago on the phone, while washing the dishes...

So try to be calm, and all will be well :]

Well, if they're specifying actual work (I think that's crazy, but whatever--everyone knows I'm no fan of Yale), then you should do it. I'd say if you're travelling just print things out small. Or you could do as I've seen some people do and have things printed and bound into a book, legal or ledger size. Be sure to design the book cover too, of course.

Hi losemygrip,

Thanks for the advice - I will bring the stuff, only I think it can be a little funny to create a new book just like that, to two weeks, containing all my different projects... It feels like making a catalog for a retrospective exhibition about me! That will happen in 40 years, if I'm lucky :] So I totally agree with you that if I'm into cataloging my work - It's better, more up-to-date and practical to do so digitally [as I did]. However, since Yale asks to see original work, and also previous versions of the final products - it seems to me that I will just bring the things so they can look at each project individually and go through it.

Of course web based work and motion graphics are major disciplines, and I'm sure Yale are open to that and encourage this work - they do not specify that your work should by only print and craft. I think they are open to anything as long as you can explain it and there's more to it than a cool font on a poster or a special effect in a motion based work.

Heya All,

Has anyone else applied to any schools in Europe? I would love some perspective/ advice. I just found out I got into the international MFA program at the University of Basel in Switzerland and got an interview at the Royal College of Art in London.

Rachel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Hope your graphic design interviews are going well.

I have a question mainly aimed at those with interviews at Yale's MFA graphic design course, but if anyone else can help i'd appreciate it.

I am having an in person interview at the school and was wondering if we need to label our work with our name and provide an inventory. It says two different things when comparing the website instructions to the letter from the school.

I am guessing it wouldn't make sense to label or create an inventory if you are going to be there in person...

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Everyone,

Hope your graphic design interviews are going well.

I have a question mainly aimed at those with interviews at Yale's MFA graphic design course, but if anyone else can help i'd appreciate it.

I am having an in person interview at the school and was wondering if we need to label our work with our name and provide an inventory. It says two different things when comparing the website instructions to the letter from the school.

I am guessing it wouldn't make sense to label or create an inventory if you are going to be there in person...

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Mh31,

I interviewed with them last year (interviewing again this year) and we were given ample time to interview and hang out work. They didn't ask for labels or an inventory... and it was very free flowing in what specifically work I wanted to talk about and they would also ask questions about work they wanted to hear about.

Congrats, best of luck! I am going to be there on March 22 for an interview.

Hi Mh31,

I interviewed with them last year (interviewing again this year) and we were given ample time to interview and hang out work. They didn't ask for labels or an inventory... and it was very free flowing in what specifically work I wanted to talk about and they would also ask questions about work they wanted to hear about.

Congrats, best of luck! I am going to be there on March 22 for an interview.

Hi Eschaton,

Thank you for clearing that up for me!

I'm going to be there on the 21st, hope all the preparations are going well!

Hey everyone! Glad to see a thread on visual comm/graphic design. I applied to a mixed group of programs that offered different levels of coursework, mainly because I graduated from the University of Chicago without a formal degree in the arts, and designed "on the side." Only one of my applications was for an MFA program, but depending on which school I end up attending, I hope to eventually get an MFA. Here are my programs/notifications thus far:

SVA (MFA Products of Design)-- interviewed

Carnegie Mellon (CPID)

Pratt (MS Communications Design)-- accepted 3/12!

MassArt (Dynamic Media Institute)-- interviewed

MICA (Graphic Design)

Although I don't come from the field of design, I can tell that these schools look for people who stand out and can potentially bring a fresh perspective on design. So if there's anyone out there who is worried about lack of formal training or exposure to the field of design (as I was a couple of months ago), it doesn't hurt to apply and discuss your experience/interest with admissions committees. They're looking for people from different backgrounds, and if it's what you love to do, it should show through in your statements and portfolio.

addgg4283, I noticed that you applied to the UChicago. What program did you apply to there? I can't recall the U of C offering any degrees in graphic design.

Hey everyone! Glad to see a thread on visual comm/graphic design. I applied to a mixed group of programs that offered different levels of coursework, mainly because I graduated from the University of Chicago without a formal degree in the arts, and designed "on the side." Only one of my applications was for an MFA program, but depending on which school I end up attending, I hope to eventually get an MFA. Here are my programs/notifications thus far:

SVA (MFA Products of Design)-- interviewed

Carnegie Mellon (CPID)

Pratt (MS Communications Design)-- accepted 3/12!

MassArt (Dynamic Media Institute)-- interviewed

MICA (Graphic Design)

Although I don't come from the field of design, I can tell that these schools look for people who stand out and can potentially bring a fresh perspective on design. So if there's anyone out there who is worried about lack of formal training or exposure to the field of design (as I was a couple of months ago), it doesn't hurt to apply and discuss your experience/interest with admissions committees. They're looking for people from different backgrounds, and if it's what you love to do, it should show through in your statements and portfolio.

addgg4283, I noticed that you applied to the UChicago. What program did you apply to there? I can't recall the U of C offering any degrees in graphic design.

I was accepted into the MFA Graphic Design department at Pratt last Friday. Best email all week. I'm still waiting on a few others, but even if Pratt is my only acceptance, I'm beyond happy.

I, too, am waiting on MICA and SVA. Although I applied to SVA's Interaction Design department.

Edited by ReallyTall