Graphic Design/Visual Communication MFA 2012

addgg4283

I was accepted into the MFA Graphic Design department at Pratt last Friday. Best email all week. I'm still waiting on a few others, but even if Pratt is my only acceptance, I'm beyond happy.

I, too, am waiting on MICA and SVA. Although I applied to SVA's Interaction Design department.

I feel exactly the same way. My first post had a typo, I actually heard from Pratt on March 9 like you. I knew it was a long shot, but I also fell in love with their program. I'm beyond ecstatic. Best of luck on your other schools!

Edited by kekbatter

I feel exactly the same way. My first post had a typo, I actually heard from Pratt on March 8 like you. I knew it was a long shot, but I also fell in love with their program. I'm beyond ecstatic. Best of luck on your other schools!

MICA is sitting up at #1 right now, but Pratt was tied with SVA for #2, but it's currently ranking about SVA. I loved Pratt, but the interviews made me like it more. But with MICA, I don't think I could pass up working with Ellen Lupton- she's one of my design idols.

Perhaps we'll meet on the Pratt campus next year. :)

MICA is sitting up at #1 right now, but Pratt was tied with SVA for #2, but it's currently ranking about SVA. I loved Pratt, but the interviews made me like it more. But with MICA, I don't think I could pass up working with Ellen Lupton- she's one of my design idols.

Perhaps we'll meet on the Pratt campus next year. :)

Perhaps! :) I totally see why you'd rank MICA as #1 though. Ellen Lupton is a god and MICA's campus/faculty/student body just sounds amazing after talking to alums. I actually applied to their post-bac, because I wasn't sure if I could get into a Master's program. Now that I have, I think I'll stick with Pratt or may be SVA/Carnegie if by some miracle I get into either one of those schools.

Perhaps! :) I totally see why you'd rank MICA as #1 though. Ellen Lupton is a god and MICA's campus/faculty/student body just sounds amazing after talking to alums. I actually applied to their post-bac, because I wasn't sure if I could get into a Master's program. Now that I have, I think I'll stick with Pratt or may be SVA/Carnegie if by some miracle I get into either one of those schools.

I loved MICA when I went to visit. The school, facilities, staff, everything was amazing. Baltimore would be an adjustment- I'm used to big, big cities- but I'd manage. I don't think I'm getting in there, though.

I love the prospect of the Interaction Design department at SVA. I wasn't really overwhelmed with my visit, though. They were preparing for their graduate day later that weekend (I couldn't make that day because I was going to RISD that day) and I was just given some student to talk to. While informative, I didn't get a professor's perspective and I felt kind of pushed to the side.

I feel like I'm spamming but I got accepted to Carnegie Mellon today!

The school is #1 in visual communications according to US News. <3

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-fine-arts-schools/multimedia-visual-communications-rankings

kekbattler have you heard from them yet? They posted my acceptance letter this morning.

I feel like I'm spamming but I got accepted to Carnegie Mellon today!

The school is #1 in visual communications according to US News. <3

http://grad-schools....ations-rankings

kekbattler have you heard from them yet? They posted my acceptance letter this morning.

Strangely enough, that ranking system splits visual communications and graphic design. It's rather strange as the terms are generally interchangeable.

^ Carnegie Mellon and Pratt do make a distinction though. The CMU program is a joint offering from the school of design and department of English. And Pratt has a Design Writing course that's fundamental to the program. Both these programs are a great fit for people like me who are both designers and writers. It's exactly what attracted me to their programs over traditional graphic design programs which would cover only one of my interests.

People who aren't interested in the writing/verbal part of communication would be better served by a thorough study in just the visual aspect: graphic design.

I haven't heard from CMU. Uh oh!! Did they email you or send you a hard copy letter? And CONGRATULATIONS! That's awesome!!

Thank you! I saw it on the website. According to the letter, a detailed acceptance package will be emailed to me within the week.

Actually, I checked their online application system and got rejected. Yuck. It's all good though, congrats Babar_Suleman!

Aww I'm sorry. On the bright side, you're already accepted to Pratt so congrats! I also applied to Pratt but they emailed me barely TWO days ago that my application was NOW ready for review even though I submitted it January 5.

It's like what were you doing with my app for the past two months?!

By the way, did Pratt offer you financial aid? Since I will probably not be able to attend CMU coz of funding issues, I'm still interested in an acceptance that comes WITH funding.

Thank you! I saw it on the website. According to the letter, a detailed acceptance package will be emailed to me within the week.

Aww I'm sorry. On the bright side, you're already accepted to Pratt so congrats! I also applied to Pratt but they emailed me barely TWO days ago that my application was NOW ready for review even though I submitted it January 5.

It's like what were you doing with my app for the past two months?!

By the way, did Pratt offer you financial aid? Since I will probably not be able to attend CMU coz of funding issues, I'm still interested in an acceptance that comes WITH funding.

Wow really? That's crazy that they just emailed you. You might want to ask them why they took so long to review your materials. Pratt's communication has been kind of questionable at certain points during my application process, but that's just baffling!

I'm waiting on my hard copy acceptance package from Pratt. They didn't mention anything about funding in the acceptance email, so I am hoping that I'm eligible for some money. I sent in my FAFSA and what not back in January so we'll see. CMU's CPID program did worry me when it came to funding, because they told me that they only offer small "assistantships" to a select number of students. I also was much more interested in NYC than Pittsburgh since the opportunities for design-related internships and jobs are much more plentiful in the big apple. It would have been cool to get an acceptance from CMU, but I don't know if I would have jumped on their offer.

But whatever. Congrats again! Where else did you apply?

Edited by kekbatter

Wow really? That's crazy that they just emailed you. You might want to ask them why they took so long to review your materials. Pratt's communication has been kind of questionable at certain points during my application process, but that's just baffling!

I'm waiting on my hard copy acceptance package from Pratt. They didn't mention anything about funding in the acceptance email, so I am hoping that I'm eligible for some money. I sent in my FAFSA and what not back in January so we'll see. CMU's CPID program did worry me when it came to funding, because they told me that they only offer small "assistantships" to a select number of students. I also was much more interested in NYC than Pittsburgh since the opportunities for design-related internships and jobs are much more plentiful in the big apple. It would have been cool to get an acceptance from CMU, but I don't know if I would have jumped on their offer.

But whatever. Congrats again! Where else did you apply?

If I got funding from Pratt, I'd prefer it too. Living in NYC definitely has benefits over living in Pittsburgh. But you know- it's Carnegie Mellon and I also love the CPID program. So I would infinitely prefer CMU if they gave me funding but they're explicit about their lack of financial support for international students.

In addition to CMU and Pratt, I've also applied to RISD and SCAD.

If I got funding from Pratt, I'd prefer it too. Living in NYC definitely has benefits over living in Pittsburgh. But you know- it's Carnegie Mellon and I also love the CPID program. So I would infinitely prefer CMU if they gave me funding but they're explicit about their lack of financial support for international students.

In addition to CMU and Pratt, I've also applied to RISD and SCAD.

Have you heard anything from RISD?

Have you heard anything from RISD?

Not a single thing since they informed me that my application was complete.

This late in March, do me and you have a chance? :P

I'm more optimistic about my chances for Pratt since I sent them my GRE score. I don't have a background in design and my GRE score probably made up for my possibly weak portfolio for Carnegie Mellon. Since RISD doesn't consider GRE scores, I have a VERY low chance with them.

Was headed to work and found an email from MassArt. I've been accepted into their Dynamic Media Institute! :)

Congrats! I didn't know of this program before your post. But since we are both interested in communication design (and God knows thats a rare and endangered graduate species), I looked it up. I think Pratt's program sounds better but what are you personally leaning towards now that you can choose between MassArt and Pratt?

Edited by Babar_Suleman

Thanks! I was originally more interested in Pratt's program and I think I still am. I like that MassArt focuses on dynamic media and infuses that into the entire program. I didn't get any money, though, so that's no good.

Hi everyone,

I am new to The GradCafe. I am currently a junior at UC Irvine majoring in Economics and Sociology with a 3.75 GPA. I will be graduating in Spring 2013 and I have began looking into different graduate programs. The problem is what I want to do has very little in common with my majors. I want to study UI/UX design, typography, visual communication design, logo and identity design, etc. I have some experience in creating logos for a few local companies and designing mockups for a few websites, but I have no formal training. I will be teaching myself HTML5/CSS this summer, and possibly even Flash or JS. I have a good understanding of how to use all Adobe CS5 programs but will be sharpening my skills through taking a few community college courses. I have been looking at several MFA programs in graphic design, communications design, and design and technology. I have narrowed my choices to RISD's MFA Graphic Design 3-year program, UCLA MFA Design | Media Arts, MassArts MFA Communications Design (Interactive Media or Dynamic Media not really sure if they are two different programs or what), and SFAI MFA Design and Technology program. A few admissions counselors have told me that an MFA is more for teaching, and that I should think about pursuing a BFA instead. However, I do not want to regress, and I feel the B.A. I will be earning from UC Irvine is worth quite a bit already.

Anyway, I basically want to know what kind of work an admissions committee's will be expecting me to put in my portfolio given my desired path of UI and identity design. Also, if you could offer me some input about the programs I listed. Some questions I have are: what are my chances of getting into RISD's 3-year? I know they say it is directed at students who do not have a design background, but even so would I be expected to have a stellar portfolio? Would they look more at my academic background? Another question I have is whether or not UCLA's D|MA program is right for me? From what I can see, I see more of a focus on technology mixed with art which is not at all what I want to study. Would I be able to study all of what I mentioned, mainly interface design and identity design? What are the chances of being admitted into their program as a non-design student? My next question is about MassArt and SFAI. Basically if you could let me in on their admissions rates to both programs and evaluate my odds. Any input you guys may have would be great and if I am not in the correct forum please lead me to the one that is appropriate for this post. Thanks!

Once I get my answer from RISD, I will be able to weigh in on your portfolio. :)

And don't worry about not having a design background. I have 2 years of freelance experience in design and I got accepted to Carnegie Mellon's School of Design even though I have an undergrad in Business. The programs at CMU and Pratt, as well as the 3-year programs at most schools (including RISD), admit students from all areas of undergrad study.

Hi everyone,

I am new to The GradCafe. I am currently a junior at UC Irvine majoring in Economics and Sociology with a 3.75 GPA. I will be graduating in Spring 2013 and I have began looking into different graduate programs. The problem is what I want to do has very little in common with my majors. I want to study UI/UX design, typography, visual communication design, logo and identity design, etc. I have some experience in creating logos for a few local companies and designing mockups for a few websites, but I have no formal training. I will be teaching myself HTML5/CSS this summer, and possibly even Flash or JS. I have a good understanding of how to use all Adobe CS5 programs but will be sharpening my skills through taking a few community college courses. I have been looking at several MFA programs in graphic design, communications design, and design and technology. I have narrowed my choices to RISD's MFA Graphic Design 3-year program, UCLA MFA Design | Media Arts, MassArts MFA Communications Design (Interactive Media or Dynamic Media not really sure if they are two different programs or what), and SFAI MFA Design and Technology program. A few admissions counselors have told me that an MFA is more for teaching, and that I should think about pursuing a BFA instead. However, I do not want to regress, and I feel the B.A. I will be earning from UC Irvine is worth quite a bit already.

Anyway, I basically want to know what kind of work an admissions committee's will be expecting me to put in my portfolio given my desired path of UI and identity design. Also, if you could offer me some input about the programs I listed. Some questions I have are: what are my chances of getting into RISD's 3-year? I know they say it is directed at students who do not have a design background, but even so would I be expected to have a stellar portfolio? Would they look more at my academic background? Another question I have is whether or not UCLA's D|MA program is right for me? From what I can see, I see more of a focus on technology mixed with art which is not at all what I want to study. Would I be able to study all of what I mentioned, mainly interface design and identity design? What are the chances of being admitted into their program as a non-design student? My next question is about MassArt and SFAI. Basically if you could let me in on their admissions rates to both programs and evaluate my odds. Any input you guys may have would be great and if I am not in the correct forum please lead me to the one that is appropriate for this post. Thanks!

I can't answer all of these questions, but you certainly should apply to these programs. Vis comm and things like interface design/identity design are not common undergrad majors, so these programs have no choice but to take people from a lot of different disciplines. Many art schools will tell you that they don't care how/where you came up with the work in your portfolio; as long as it impresses them then you have a shot. They are also intrigued by diversity and see a lot of potential in people who come from outside of the field to give new perspectives on communication design. That being said, if you are applying to all MFA programs and only to the ones you listed (very competitive schools), you should take advantage of Portfolio Days and get early feedback on your work ASAP. Also, don't hesitate to contact each school's admissions office in advance to ask questions about what their student body typically looks like. Art schools will definitely place a huge emphasis on the portfolio and your statement of purpose. They probably won't pay too much attention to your transcript if you haven't studied design; I interviewed with MassArt and SVA and they didn't discuss my studies that much at all. Schools like Carnegie Mellon will probably do the opposite; higher emphasis on your test scores, transcript, etc.

MassArt is extremely selective. I don't know about any of these school's acceptance rates, but MassArt's DMI programs are tiny. I got into the Post-bac which essentially is like a 3-year MFA. If I went there, then got admitted into the MFA program (which happens frequently), I would complete the MFA in three years. I could also pursue another school's MFA after one year at MassArt. When I interviewed with them, they said they normally accept 1-2 students for the Post-bac, and I believe the website says something around 15-20 students for the MFA program. You should get in touch with them and discuss your skill levels to see which program you are qualified for. Again, Portfolio Days are key (they'll probably be announced in the late summer).

A lot of other schools have "3-year MFAs," so you are doing the right thing by scoping those out. Keep searching and try not to limit yourself by applying to less than five schools. From what I've noticed on this forum, that doesn't work out for many people even if they have stellar portfolios.

Once I get my answer from RISD, I will be able to weigh in on your portfolio. :)

And don't worry about not having a design background. I have 2 years of freelance experience in design and I got accepted to Carnegie Mellon's School of Design even though I have an undergrad in Business. The programs at CMU and Pratt, as well as the 3-year programs at most schools (including RISD), admit students from all areas of undergrad study.

Are you speaking about the interaction design program at CMU and the communications design program at Pratt? what can you tell me about the ID program at CMU. I want to focus on web design but it seems like it encompasses interactions form all types of products.

I can't answer all of these questions, but you certainly should apply to these programs. Vis comm and things like interface design/identity design are not common undergrad majors, so these programs have no choice but to take people from a lot of different disciplines. Many art schools will tell you that they don't care how/where you came up with the work in your portfolio; as long as it impresses them then you have a shot. They are also intrigued by diversity and see a lot of potential in people who come from outside of the field to give new perspectives on communication design. That being said, if you are applying to all MFA programs and only to the ones you listed (very competitive schools), you should take advantage of Portfolio Days and get early feedback on your work ASAP. Also, don't hesitate to contact each school's admissions office in advance to ask questions about what their student body typically looks like. Art schools will definitely place a huge emphasis on the portfolio and your statement of purpose. They probably won't pay too much attention to your transcript if you haven't studied design; I interviewed with MassArt and SVA and they didn't discuss my studies that much at all. Schools like Carnegie Mellon will probably do the opposite; higher emphasis on your test scores, transcript, etc.

MassArt is extremely selective. I don't know about any of these school's acceptance rates, but MassArt's DMI programs are tiny. I got into the Post-bac which essentially is like a 3-year MFA. If I went there, then got admitted into the MFA program (which happens frequently), I would complete the MFA in three years. I could also pursue another school's MFA after one year at MassArt. When I interviewed with them, they said they normally accept 1-2 students for the Post-bac, and I believe the website says something around 15-20 students for the MFA program. You should get in touch with them and discuss your skill levels to see which program you are qualified for. Again, Portfolio Days are key (they'll probably be announced in the late summer).

A lot of other schools have "3-year MFAs," so you are doing the right thing by scoping those out. Keep searching and try not to limit yourself by applying to less than five schools. From what I've noticed on this forum, that doesn't work out for many people even if they have stellar portfolios.

Thank you for the highly detailed response. Someone also informed me to look at Michigan's Information school in which I could focus on Human-Computer Interaction and even take classes in the Graphic Design school. Does anyone have any input on that? This is probably the wrong forum for that type of discussion but thank you to all of you who replied.

I also want to inquire about the Arizona State University Master's in Visual Communications Design program. It seems that it is a newly initiated program that will be centered at the prestigious Herberger Institute for Design and Arts. ASU is already well regarded for their architecture and industrial design programs so I am guessing this will become another great program. Has anyone here applied to the program? They have both a 2 year and a 3 year for those without design degrees. I am very interested in it and have spoken to a counselor there, who informed me that the program will offer classes in everything I am looking for: identity design, UI design, programming, graphic design, etc.

Are you speaking about the interaction design program at CMU and the communications design program at Pratt? what can you tell me about the ID program at CMU. I want to focus on web design but it seems like it encompasses interactions form all types of products.

The communication planning and information design program at CMU and, yes, the communication design program at Pratt. These two are more similar than the ID program is to Pratt's commD.

The CPID program at CMU has a strong focus on graphic design and will probably feature web design too. I'm not sure about the ID program being the right fit for graphic/web designers.

Copy pasting from the MFA thread as it's more relevant to this one:

OMG! I just got accepted to Pratt for their MS in Communication Design program!

I'm already accepted to Carnegie Mellon (and I absolutely love their CPID program) but Pratt is in frickin' Manhattan inside New York City! Any thoughts on this guys?

This has made my decision a lot more trickier!

Don't lose hope you guys. I received both my acceptances within the last 7 days. Clearly they are still sending out acceptances! :D

Congratulations to everyone else who got accepted!