Graphic Design/Visual Communication MFA 2012

addgg4283

Congrats!! That's awesome. I don't know which school to suggest. To be honest I was kind of glad I didn't get into CMU so that I wouldn't have to make that decision. Ultimately you are choosing between an arts school and a more technical/traditional graduate program. So it really depends on where your interests lie.

^ Thanks!

And that's so true. I was perfectly happy with CMU but this acceptance from Pratt has suddenly made NYC really attractive. CMU was my top choice for a variety of reasons though and I do like the fact that I would be in a university where I will be able to take courses from the drama, business and engineering schools!

But yes, the charm of being in an art school in the middle of Manhattan is alarmingly potent. :P

The communication planning and information design program at CMU and, yes, the communication design program at Pratt. These two are more similar than the ID program is to Pratt's commD.

The CPID program at CMU has a strong focus on graphic design and will probably feature web design too. I'm not sure about the ID program being the right fit for graphic/web designers.

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like an interesting program.

Does anyone have anything to say about the UCLA DMA program? Also, does anyone know where I can find examples of accepted applicant's portfolios? Again, I am not currently an art student and have no formal education in art, so I need some direction on what to include in a portfolio? Do I included typography sets, drawings, paintings, logo designs, website designs? Any help would be great.

Also congrats to those of you who were accepted. Must be a great relief; one that I hope to feel sometime in the future.

Edited by dbar1

I'm copying my post in here as well as this might get some more relevant feedback.

I'm also looking for some guidance on my choices. I was accepted into the MFA programs at both Pratt and SAIC. Waiting to hear back from Interaction Design at SVA and MICA offered me a post-bacc (which I won't accept).

SAIC and Pratt both rank as #12 in design using the latest data, they hear before the ranked at #11 and #9, respectively. Funding between the two was comprable and honestly isn't TOO big of a concern for me.

For my personal preferences: I'm leaning towards Pratt. I loved the people I met there, the campus, the studios, everything. It also turns out that the department chair and I have a mutual connection in New Zealand because I did a study abroad there. I'd love to move there eventually, so this could possibly help with that. For SAIC, I love the way their majors are integrated for non major-specific classes. However, they rubbed me the wrong way a bit during the interview process.

And, if I am accepted into the Interaction Design department at SVA, what would you all weigh in on that? I'm really intrigued by the marrying/collaboration of people from so many different backgrounds to get to one final goal. That's what I've been toying with as my potential thesis anyway.

I'm copying my post in here as well as this might get some more relevant feedback.

I would choose Pratt. I think SAIC technically ranks higher in general and in design, but I've lived in Chicago and met a handful of kids from SAIC (they were all undergrads though). If they rubbed you the wrong way in your interview, they might continue to do so if you attend. I'm not 100% sure of what life is like at SAIC, but I think Chicago schools in general are more intimidating/unfriendly. But I'm clearly biased because I'm leaving this city.

EDIT: Actually, I don't know which school I would choose. There are a lot of people shitting on Pratt on this forum and it sort of makes sense. Back in September when I started my application, Pratt emailed me as a "current student" about financial aid or paying tuition or something. I wouldn't be surprised if the school was bad; their communication is awful. I'm definitely gonna have to visit and see for myself. ReallyTall, what was your experience like when you visited?

Edited by kekbatter

Hi all,

I was trying to look for answers here a year ago myself so I thought i can help to answer some questions. I applied for RISD's digital media, NYU's ITP and UCLA's DMA and got into all 3. I'm currently in ucla. Some quick replies to questions i saw.

UCLA - The DMA program on the MFA level is really more about media arts. That said, you are free to do what you want. There have been people doing visualizations, interfaces, games, media arts, fine arts, video arts etc. In my opinion doing a MFA really is about exploring different things and doing your own thing, rather than having people tell u what to do. In that aspect, dma is flexible. You can also choose to do individual studies with some of the faculty members ( Henri lucas, rebecca mendez for vis comm; casey reas for programming, interfaces, visualization, generative art etc etc)

But if u want an environment where everyone is doing the same thing, this is not the place. cohort is small and everyone knows everyone. great funding packages if u do get in.

RISD - From my experiences and exchanges with RISD's digital media, I think they too tend to focus more on new media art and to a lesser extent interaction design. Portfolio wise they definitely look for people with design background, media arts or computer sciences.

ITP - i'm not sure if anyone is interested. funding is not great or none, but this is a good place to take many different interesting courses.

cons - huge cohort, i didn't even have to do an interview to get in. not the place for people who wants an intimate environment.

I would choose Pratt. I think SAIC technically ranks higher in general and in design, but I've lived in Chicago and met a handful of kids from SAIC (they were all undergrads though). If they rubbed you the wrong way in your interview, they might continue to do so if you attend. I'm not 100% sure of what life is like at SAIC, but I think Chicago schools in general are more intimidating/unfriendly. But I'm clearly biased because I'm leaving this city.

EDIT: Actually, I don't know which school I would choose. There are a lot of people shitting on Pratt on this forum and it sort of makes sense. Back in September when I started my application, Pratt emailed me as a "current student" about financial aid or paying tuition or something. I wouldn't be surprised if the school was bad; their communication is awful. I'm definitely gonna have to visit and see for myself. ReallyTall, what was your experience like when you visited?

Honestly, the shit comments on Pratt have all struck me as surprising. I went up to visit on a non-graduate day and one of the professors had no qualms with sitting and speaking with me for close to an hour. I was then given a tour of the MFA studio space, spoke to a few students, and was given a wealth of information about the program.

When I applied, my undergrad school failed to send out my transcript on time, but Pratt was more than understanding and had no problem with this when I explained it to them. My first interview went well- I managed to stump the chair with a few of my responses and then we casually chatted for a bit. After that, I was invited for a second interview received an email response only four days later telling me I had been accepted with funding. One of the people I emailed with during the process would take about 24 hours to respond, but another professor I emailed to thank for the interview responded in 10 minutes.

I've not had any negative experiences along the way. Part of the interview process was speaking with other students who seemed to thoroughly enjoy the program. Perhaps some of this negativity is department-specific?

------------------------------------------------

MORE: If you were curious why I was rubbed the wrong way at SAIC, I have no problem sharing that as well. When I applied, I applied to the MFA program. However, they asked me to interview for their P/MFA program. This adds an extra year at the start where I have to "pass" two reviews to get admitted into the full MFA. At the end of the first year, I would have gotten a post-bacc certification. I was ready to turn it down then. The first year is mostly technical training, which I didn't think I particularly needed, but I didn't want to waste a year at the beginning without 100% certainty that I would receive the degree I actually wanted (MFA). During the interview, I felt like I was just being "processed" for the day. It was their typical busy interview day; I was asked to describe two works and had almost no time to ask them questions and they didn't ask me much past the initial greeting.

In the end, I was accepted into the MFA program after the interview. I'm not upset about the acceptance into the program I actually wanted to attend, but the entire process left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I emailed them for clarification to make sure this was right and they told me the decided I was a better fit for the MFA. If they were ready to defer me at the get-go, it makes me feel as though I was a "second choice" for the MFA. Whereas Pratt seemingly wanted me as they emailed me quickly after the interview to touch base.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but that's where I currently stand.

Edited by ReallyTall

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Congrats your acceptances and good luck on your decision making.

I got accepted into Pratt's Ms Communicaion program, Parsons Design and Tech program and SVA's design as entrepreneur. Originally in applying, Pratt was my first choice because I felt that SVA was a longshot and Parson's was really expensive. With pratt it was a really great program and the opportunity to work part time. But after much though I think I have to decide between Parsons and SVA. While Pratt has a great program, it's a MS degree and I feel like if it costs nearly just as much as an MFA, I might as well pursue the MFA.

So now it's between SVA and Parsons.

SVA:

I like the studio setting at SVA, the overall class size is smaller and the faculty are all working well regarded professionals (Sagmeister, Glaser, Anderson). The director of the program seems really cool and in the design community he is pretty huge. They have several thesis forums and the program seems very rigorous. It also seems like an amazing opportuniy to network, grow as a designer, and become fluent in the business and marketing practices. The students that I have spoken to love the program, and I really like the sense of community. I've heard the program is really intense and their is hardly anytime to work. The students that do work often do freelance gigs occasionally but really don't have time to commit to anything else. I was offered work study and the possibility of assistanceship.

Parsons:

I visited the school sat in the classroom and really liked it. The professor was insightful, gave amazing feedback and the students seemed to really be into their projects. It definitely seems like a challenging program and I like the fact that program is very techology based. This also seems like an amazing opportunity to network and from what I've heard the professors really are into helping the students. I spoke with students who loved the program and said the program is vey time consuming but some students do work outside of school.The only downside I've heard is that the financial aid department is not all that great. Parsons offered a scholarship that made it just about the same cost as SVA.

About Me:

My background is more computer graphics based. I live and work in nyc and currently manage web content. I know the basics of design (took several continuing ed courses) and web but I am studying to become proficient in html/css. I also take on freelance design gigs occasionally. This would mean me giving up my fulltime job, and probably moving back home with my parents (uggggh) but I would make that sacrifice for a program I really love. I also have a consistent freelance gig where I can work from home on Friday nights. It's not enough to live on my own and cover living expenses but will help out a bit. It would only costs about 800 more per semster out of pocket at SVA than Parsons. I'm leaning more towards SVA....

Thoughts? Any one know about these programs? Advice!!!

Parsons:

I visited the school sat in the classroom and really liked it. The professor was insightful, gave amazing feedback and the students seemed to really be into their projects. It definitely seems like a challenging program and I like the fact that program is very techology based. This also seems like an amazing opportunity to network and from what I've heard the professors really are into helping the students. I spoke with students who loved the program and said the program is vey time consuming but some students do work outside of school.The only downside I've heard is that the financial aid department is not all that great. Parsons offered a scholarship that made it just about the same cost as SVA.

It's great to read your view on Parsons Design & Tech. I am struggling between Dynamic Media Institute, Mass Arts and Design & Tech, Parsons. Though I'm leaning towards Mass Arts because of the extremely high cost of Parsons(and I did not get any financial aid!). Any thoughts on Mass Arts?Anyone?

About Me:

My background is more computer graphics based. I live and work in nyc and currently manage web content. I know the basics of design (took several continuing ed courses) and web but I am studying to become proficient in html/css. I also take on freelance design gigs occasionally. This would mean me giving up my fulltime job, and probably moving back home with my parents (uggggh) but I would make that sacrifice for a program I really love. I also have a consistent freelance gig where I can work from home on Friday nights. It's not enough to live on my own and cover living expenses but will help out a bit. It would only costs about 800 more per semster out of pocket at SVA than Parsons. I'm leaning more towards SVA....

Thoughts? Any one know about these programs? Advice!!!

is the 800 more including if you get the work study or assistantship? It sounds like SVA is pretty professionally minded and the fact that the professors are all professionals means you would develop some very relevant relationships.

• 10 months later...

Hello! 

It's great to see everyone's achievements and discussions regarding graphic design/visual communications MFA programs. I'm currently a senior graphic design major, thinking about applying to grad schools after graduating college. A little bit about me: interest/focus on packaging, editorial, production design; plan to teach college level courses; will most likely make my final decision based on financial reasons, funding and affordability. 

I have several questions that I wanted to ask, and would really appreciate it, if I can get everyone's opinions/advices/personal experience/etc..

- Entering Grad school fresh out of college vs. Coming back to Grad school after working in the industries

- Places offering best graphic design MFA programs (US/Europe) on your opinion (I've looked into many online resources, but just wanted to narrow it down, a bit)

- Best ways to make a decision other than financial reasoning (it would be nice if you could include type of programs that schools offer, such as, Yale as an example- I've seen many people having discussions about how Yale tends to focus more on the traditional, philosophy (?) of graphic design.)

- The difference between institutes (MICA, SAIC, etc.) vs. Universities/colleges?

I appreciate all comments! :)

Edited by llamaeh

I can speak to the differences between specific schools. Places like MICA, RISD and SVA are on the more practical end of the graphic design spectrum, while Cranbrook, CalArts, VCU, Pratt, CCA and Yale incorporate more theory and experimental methods into their curriculum (with Cranbrook being the most experimental, most likely). This also makes MICA, RISD and SVA slightly more structured in terms of the course curriculum than the latter group. I'm not sure where SAIC lies.

I'm at MICA right now as a post-bacc and have had a great experience. I'm not planning on staying here for an MFA because I am more interested in experimenting, but I have gone through a similar experience as the first-year MFAs (our program structures are very similar) and can confidently say that it's a great program. Jennifer Cole Phillips and Ellen Lupton (the co-directors) are very dedicated to pushing their students to improve their thinking and making skills simultaneously. I've learned a lot from both of them and love how they foster a positive yet diligent working environment. Oh, and the facilities are incredible.

In terms of whether you should wait a few years or apply right away, I think that anyone (regardless of their field) should try to work for one or two years before attending grad school. That way, you can really figure out what you enjoy and what you don't, what you want to do long-term and what you want to avoid. This is especially important before investing in graduate education, and since you already have a background in design, working will allow you to build more practical skills with clients and other designers-- something that these schools will definitely appreciate.

Edited by kekbatter

I have several questions that I wanted to ask, and would really appreciate it, if I can get everyone's opinions/advices/personal experience/etc..

- Entering Grad school fresh out of college vs. Coming back to Grad school after working in the industries

As I was in my final year of my BFA I considered going straight to an Master's program.  I consulted my professors I trusted to tell me like it is, and they all said that working for a few years and then going to grad school is the way to go.  And now after working for about 4 years out of school, I definitely agree with everything they said.

Working after school helps build that professional work ethic that would serve one well in graduate school.  It gets you out of the undergraduate college mindset.  Gives you time to really figure out your life goals and priorities.  Your worldview can really change after a bit of time in the real world out of the warm enveloping embrace of higher education.