How to justify gap years plus seeking a second master's

Hi everybody,

I'm writing my SOP and I have 2 issues.

First, I 'm am international applicant and I stayed 5 years away from college after graduation, working in fields other than my field which is biological sciences.Then, 2 years ago I joined a master's program in biology at my country,and still working towards my master's degree.

I want to know how should I explain those 5 years away from school?

Second, although I'm pursuing a master's degree but I'm applying for another master's in the same field.I'm not applying for Phd even though I want to get a Phd in biological/biomedical sciences but competition is very tough especialy for international applicants,so my strategy is to get a master's first from an american school then apply again for Phd in the US.

How should I explain my decision to seek a second master's in the same field?

Thanks in advance

Don't feel compelled to "explain" you gap years; not only is it common, but it's often seen as a strength (applicants who spend time away from school are often more sure they want to be in school, more mature, more sure of what they study...).

I think your decision to seek a second master's in the same field will be more difficult to explain than the gap years. The way you've described it here is that you don't think you're good enough to get into a PhD program and want to get a Master's instead. That's not a very compelling argument to give an adcomm. I'm afraid I don't have any advice to make that sound better, other than to suggest that you do indeed try to apply to PhD programs.

Don't feel compelled to "explain" you gap years; not only is it common, but it's often seen as a strength (applicants who spend time away from school are often more sure they want to be in school, more mature, more sure of what they study...).

That's exactly what I'm trying to put into my SOP.Here's an example of what I wrote:

<I waited few years since I graduated from university to join graduate studies. During these years I've studied and learnt several skills. I improved my English langauge greatly, learnt computer and IT skills and awarded several international certificates. I learnt several soft skills and I worked in two different fields, medical representation and occupational health.And I became financially independent from my parents.During that period I practiced self study and independent learning of biological sciences>

What do you think?

Edited by Hatem

I think your decision to seek a second master's in the same field will be more difficult to explain than the gap years. The way you've described it here is that you don't think you're good enough to get into a PhD program and want to get a Master's instead. That's not a very compelling argument to give an adcomm. I'm afraid I don't have any advice to make that sound better, other than to suggest that you do indeed try to apply to PhD programs.

Unfortunately, this is the truth.However I'm trying to put into a positive context like saying <I believe XYZ master’s will give me more in depth knowledge, both theoretically and parctically that will make me a more competitive applicant for a Phd in a university in north america or europe.>

sounds good?

That's exactly what I'm trying to put into my SOP.Here's an example of what I wrote:

<I waited few years since I graduated from university to join graduate studies. During these years I've studied and learnt several skills. I improved my English langauge greatly, learnt computer and IT skills and awarded several international certificates. I learnt several soft skills and I worked in two different fields, medical representation and occupational health.And I became financially independent from my parents.During that period I practiced self study and independent learning of biological sciences>

What do you think?

It sounds to me like most of this could either be inferred or put onto a CV. I personally wouldn't waste space on it in the SoP and save space for talking about my research.

It sounds to me like most of this could either be inferred or put onto a CV. I personally wouldn't waste space on it in the SoP and save space for talking about my research.

I'm intending to write a summary about my research in a supplementary file and attach it with my application package instead of writing only a paragraph or so about it into sop.

I'm intending to write a summary about my research in a supplementary file and attach it with my application package instead of writing only a paragraph or so about it into sop.

I don't suggest doing this. The SoP is where the committee is expecting to see you talk about your goals for your research and career. If they read that document and don't see you talk about your research plans, it's very likely you'll get thrown in the rejection pile and they'll move on to the next candidate.