Emails for LOR

So, I was talking to someone today about the application process, and he told me that they do not send the emails to your LORs until you submit the application. That isn't true, right? I planned on opening the applications this weekend, so I haven't really looked at them, but I was under the impression that you can send the emails even if your application isn't submitted. Am I wrong?

Many applications send an email to LORs when you register them, so that your LORs can upload their letters before you've submitted. This is the case with all 9 of the school I'm applying to.

Some applications don't send the email until after you've submitted. You should be able to tell which of your applications are which looking at the application instructions or the section dedicated to registering LORs.

Okay, that is making me feel better. Although I haven't started them, I did look at them a while ago and I thought I had remembered that only one school said you had to wait until you submitted the application, but when he said that, I had a mini freak out. He made it seem like ALL the schools were like that, and he made me second guess myself.