"Safety Schools" for IR PhD?

fouler657

I know there is no such thing as a safety school anymore when it comes to graduate school. I could be the perfect student, but if I wasn't a good fit for that specific program, I wouldn't get in. However, my question is: are there some programs that are pretty safe bets as long as you're somewhat competitive? I'm applying to 10 schools, most of which are highly competitive programs. I wanted to pick at least one school that is a pretty safe bet. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, I think the short answer is that there is no "pretty sure bet." Although it is not always the case, many of the schools that have lower rankings and might be perceived as "safer" also have less funding to offer, which creates a catch 22 of easier to get in, but you can't attend because they don't offer the $. If you're in the boat that an offer has to be funded for you to attend, you should be looking for programs with very good matches to your interests, that also guarantee funding, and are generally less selective than the top tier. If a school meets these three criteria it as close to a safe bet as you're going to find, but I still wouldn't be overly confident - there are so many unknowns that can play out in this process. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with adaptions. It is risky to apply to "safety schools" that a. you don't really want to attend and b. won't offer you funding. Wouldnt it be better to apply to schools within your reach (whatever that may be) that you are excited about and which offer good funding packages and to apply again if you are not accepted during this round. Also consider the fact that "safety schools" still cost approximately $100 to apply to and may require hours of work. Do you really want to spend the time and money on a school to which you would not normally apply?

If you're looking to do empirical/quantitative work, there are a number of excellent departments with slightly less competitive admissions with strengths in IR/conflict. Consider Penn State, Florida State, Colorado, Illinois, Rice, Emory, Washington University in St. Louis. Good departments, good training, good track record with IR folks. They might not be perfect fits for your interests, but still worth a look.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/17/2011 at 5:01 AM, Aunuwyn said:

Emory, Rice, and WashU are great programs. Also the training in these departments is equivalent to the top 10 if you seek it out.

What do you mean by this? Is it that there are other departments (Sociology, Economics etc.) within the University where you can take courses and they are/can be good compliments to the standard training?

What do you mean by this? Is it that there are other departments (Sociology, Economics etc.) within the University where you can take courses and they are/can be good compliments to the standard training?

No, I mean if you are serious about your career and sieze the opportunities you will get excellent training. There are some faculty at these institutions that definatley could and should be working at top 5 departments.