I just noticed that a Prof I want to work with is currently on leave. I don't know if it's old info, she could be just going or just coming back and I doubt it's for more than a year, so does anyone think this matters? Obviously there's no chance she'll be on the adcomm, but most professors at an institution aren't going to be on a given adcomm so there's nothing new there. (I used to be under the impression that any professor I mentioned in my statement would magically be shown my application--that was summarily laughed out of me by several professors). Does anyone think it hurts?

I think it might be troublesome if your POI is on leave and completely disconnected from the department for the semester (as in, off in another country researching). Since they won't be at all involved in the admissions/deciding process, there's no way they can pull for you (assuming it is a department that might work that way). Also, you might want to try and email the POI and see if they're taking on students for next year- some professors who are on leave decide not to take students (so they can focus of researching/writing up their books/etc).

You might want to email that professor and let them know that you are applying and that you are interested in working with him or her. Even if they are on leave, they will probably be able to answer emails and communicate with the department. If they think you are a good fit, they will likely ask to see your application and could possibly advocate on your behalf, but they would be much less likely to come across your application if they didn't know you were applying.

I think it might be troublesome if your POI is on leave and completely disconnected from the department for the semester (as in, off in another country researching). Since they won't be at all involved in the admissions/deciding process, there's no way they can pull for you (assuming it is a department that might work that way). Also, you might want to try and email the POI and see if they're taking on students for next year- some professors who are on leave decide not to take students (so they can focus of researching/writing up their books/etc).

But she won't be taking me on as student (if I got in) for 3 years probably.

Do you all think that if you mention a professor in a statement they will be contacted to see your app? I've been told that even when the prof is not on leave, this does not happen.

Do you all think that if you mention a professor in a statement they will be contacted to see your app? I've been told that even when the prof is not on leave, this does not happen.

I think that depends very highly on the particular department, and there's no way to know how that particular department will function. It also probably depends on what percentage of the applications coming in mention that particular professor and so on. If 200 people mention wanting to work with one Prof, that person is probably not going to be handed a stack of all of those applications. But I think that in most departments any professor in the department (even one who is on leave) can ask to read any specific students application and so if you want to get ensure that your application is read by your POI, you need to alert them to the fact that you want to work with them.

Is there a reason you don't want to email this professor?

Because 6 different professors have told me that few things are more rude, disqualifying, overbearing, presumptuous, and unprofessional than a PhD applicant showing up in professor's inbox. "There is no conceivable reason for you to bother them" one told me. I know others here have differing views and anecdotal evidence of it not hurting, but this woman no doubt gets hundreds of emails a day. One more will not help--especially to get info that I could probably get just as easy from the dept admin.

Because 6 different professors have told me that few things are more rude, disqualifying, overbearing, presumptuous, and unprofessional than a PhD applicant showing up in professor's inbox. "There is no conceivable reason for you to bother them" one told me. I know others here have differing views and anecdotal evidence of it not hurting, but this woman no doubt gets hundreds of emails a day. One more will not help--especially to get info that I could probably get just as easy from the dept admin.

Well I am not applying in English, so perhaps its a difference in field. But I know several History professors who have strongly encouraged me to email potential professors, and said that they themselves as graduate committee members are highly dubious of any student who hasn't contacted them - because it suggests they aren't seriously interested in the program.

That was where my advice was coming from - but if this practice is taboo in English programs, I don't know what to tell you. It's a lot less likely that this professor on leave will read your application.

However, I think it's a myth, at least in English, that professors who are mentioned get the apps. Unless they are on the committee, then they won't see it. Several profs (because I've asked!) have told me this point blank. If they aren't tasked with committee duty, than they have pretty much NOTHING to do with it. In 3 years, when that candidate is starting to look for an adviser (assuming they are still in the same field with the same interests) then they start talking seriously.

All of my LOR have advised me to contact professors, but I haven't. Although I had questions, I didn't see them as relevant to the application, and I didn't want to run the risk of looking stupid.

And, I do have one anecdotal evidence of knowing someone who should not have gotten in to a really hard school to get into because he did not meet the qualifications by any means but he got in due to a correspondence he had with someone on the adcomm.