MFA/MA dual degree?

SWW

Hi all,

I'm wondering what the general sentiment is about dual degree programs such as the dual MFA/MA in Art History/Theory at SFAI or Pratt's MFA/MS dual drogram. I'm also looking at Slade's MA in Fine Arts rather than their MFA program.

What do you think might be the advantages and disadvantages of dual degree programs? What schools are especially strong at offering their students a well rounded program that includes some art history and theory? Any suggestions as to where I should be looking?

(I'm coming from a strong liberal arts background with solid art history courses and research but my major and thesis were in studio art. I want to focus on studio work but I do love research and writing so I think a dual degree program might be ideal but I've found relatively little on them so far...)

Thanks!

the main disadvantage is that the dual degree programs are not found at the best schools. so, you're better off to get those degrees from separate schools if you feel strongly about getting both degrees. it will also cost you more b/c you are paying more tuition.

if you want to focus on studio work go for your MFA -- no question. there's no reason why you can't continue to research and write, particularly if you go to a school that has solid academics that you can take as electives and/or sit in on.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the MFA/ MS at Pratt and was very happy with it. The main draw back was that it limited my studio electives. But, it has served me well. I headed an art department at a liberal arts college where I taught both art history and studio and I am currently adjuncting in both areas as well. Beyond that, I also am now applying for PhD programs in Art History. Most, of my class mates in the dual program aren't going on in Art History but they seem to have been well served.