Telephone conversation with the graduate director

yinche

Hi people,

I just received e mail from Illinois grad director saying that "Thanks for your interest in the graduate program at Illinois. The admissions committee and I have begun our deliberations, and I wanted to follow up with you via phone with a few questions."

Is this some kind of a phone interview? What kind of questions are asked? How should I prepare for it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I was wondering, for people who've had conversations with POIs or Grad directors... what do you guys talk about? I got admitted to a school and my POI wants to skype. Should I be preparing a list of questions? Is this a hello how are you? Are they going to probe into what other schools I'm waiting for?

This is a little bit of all of the above. I spoke with the DGS at Vandy a few weeks ago after being admitted. She wanted to congratulate me, chat, see if I had questions, and figure out where Vandy fell in my list of schools to find out if she should pull out all of the stops. It was pretty informal, and I wouldn't stress about it.