Harvard

sociology27

Did anyone else just get a strange/awkward rejection letter from Harvard?... stating that all acceptees and waitlists have been notified BUT they can't tell me my decision (but I CAN do process of elimination) over email because of privacy crap? So essentially, they're implying I'm gonna get a nice rejection letter in the mail... I think

who else got this?

I just received the following message from Harvard's graduate assistant:

"Thank you for your application to the PhD program in Sociology at Harvard University. The Sociology Admissions Committee has reviewed all of the 314 applications for admission to the Fall 2012 cohort.The Admissions committee has made its recommendations to the Deans of Harvard University's Graduate School of Arts & Sciences (GSAS), who have made offers of admission to 10 applicants (there are 2 applicants on the waitlist). All of the applicants who have been admitted or waitlisted to the PhD Program in Sociology have been contacted by the Sociology Department's Chair of Admissions."

Harvard was probably my poorest fit out of all the departments I applied to, so I am not surprised or upset by this news. Congrats to those admitted, and condolensces to those for whom I'm the bearer of bad news.

As they say on another of my favorite forums: e; f, b.

Edited by felicidad

HA. They didn't want to tell you that they got rejected.

Reminds me of the part in Office Space where they say they "fix the glitch" and let things "work themselves out." haha.

You just had to deduce that if you hadn't been offered an acceptance it means you were rejected.

I think they want to test our deductive logic skills.

What's the test if they aren't accepting us? It's borderline offensive, imo. "Can these rejects even understand that we aren't accepting them... let's see if they'll get the hint."

I'm especially amused that I have to wait for the letter in the mail. I work at Harvard and live not 15 minutes walking distance from campus... they could have sent a carrier pigeon and it would be faster than UPS.

I think all acceptances should delivered by owl's, just like Hogwarts B)

And rejections should come in the form of exploding cigars. "Congratulations on your...BANG!"

Haha this made me crack up. I have 3 schools in the top 10 on my list to apply to next year, after this thread I am glad Harvard isn't on the list.