The Grad 35+ club

OldGrad2012

I actually could use some advice here. I'm definitely 35+, finishing my MA this May. I applied for 5 Ph.D. programs. 1 rejection. Three other programs already started accepting people.

So I'm freaking out.

If I don't get anything this year, will it be worth it to finish up some papers, presentiong some more conference talks, and then try again next year?

But time is not on my side. Even if I get into a phd eventually, who would want to hire some in their 40's already?

If decide to join the job-hunting club, what kind of job can I find with a MA in literature and a dated PhD in physics (~2003)?

I worry about the not-having-tons-of-time thing, too. I got rejected today from one of the two programs I applied to. I knew it was a long shot but my confidence is still shaken. Now everything rides on that other program and I don't think I can put myself through another application cycle if this one isn't fruitful.

Goobah! We do have similar stories. I wish you and your family much luck in the coming months of transition!