asking the departments about why they rejected me and how to strengthen my application

gradcafe26

Congrats to everyone who has received good news in this cycle!

Just want to ask a quick question, since it is likely that I will have to do a MA before reapplying in one or two years, is it still too early to ask the departments about why they rejected me and how to strengthen my application? Madison send me the rejection about 2 weeks ago, and I am afraid they won't remember anything about my application after this month. Also, should I send these emails to graduate assistants, POIs, or DGS?

Many thanks!

Most programs have a policy about not answering that so DGSs and graduate assistants are not going to be too helpful. Your best bet from somewhere you applied is to reach out to a POI.

However, I think you would be more successful talking to someone you trust and already have some sort of rapport with who knows something about the admissions process, like one of your recommenders. Ask them to read your SOP and look at your numbers, and give an honest critique. They know what at least one of your letters said and that should give them a pretty full pictures of the application you submitted.

In general, it's a fruitless endeavor.

That said, the first time I applied to grad school, I faced a decision between and MA at Chicago CIR (unfunded) and the PhD program at Michigan State (funded). At the time, it seemed like a really tough decision, so I emailed the DGS at a department I had been rejected from. She responded, and the response was nice, honest, and very helpful.

I applied to the same place again when I had to transfer, and I got in that time. In the acceptance email, she put a PS with something to the effect of "I'm very pleased to see things went well after on your last decision."

In general, expect nothing. If done properly, you might get something, though the probability is slim.

I also think you can often diagnose problems without an adcom telling you what went wrong. Send your materials to Ph.D students, professors, etc. and get them to comment on ways they could be improved. Many of these people are the type of people who would be on admissions committees anyways, and they may be more willing to give you advice.

Most programs have a policy about not answering that so DGSs and graduate assistants are not going to be too helpful. Your best bet from somewhere you applied is to reach out to a POI.

However, I think you would be more successful talking to someone you trust and already have some sort of rapport with who knows something about the admissions process, like one of your recommenders. Ask them to read your SOP and look at your numbers, and give an honest critique. They know what at least one of your letters said and that should give them a pretty full pictures of the application you submitted.

I will definitely ask my letter writers for that, however, I don't think their opinions would be that useful. Because, in my case, they are either profs from anthro/econ or non-American political scientists, which may be one of the weaknesses in my application.

In general, it's a fruitless endeavor.

That said, the first time I applied to grad school, I faced a decision between and MA at Chicago CIR (unfunded) and the PhD program at Michigan State (funded). At the time, it seemed like a really tough decision, so I emailed the DGS at a department I had been rejected from. She responded, and the response was nice, honest, and very helpful.

I applied to the same place again when I had to transfer, and I got in that time. In the acceptance email, she put a PS with something to the effect of "I'm very pleased to see things went well after on your last decision."

In general, expect nothing. If done properly, you might get something, though the probability is slim.

Thanks! Then I think I will just give it a try and see what happens.

I also think you can often diagnose problems without an adcom telling you what went wrong. Send your materials to Ph.D students, professors, etc. and get them to comment on ways they could be improved. Many of these people are the type of people who would be on admissions committees anyways, and they may be more willing to give you advice.

That makes sense, I will do that after I am officially done in this cycle. I am still waiting for results from 2 schools, though prospects seem dim. And one thing that Phd students and professors cannot tell me is my fit to specific programs, so I am mainly seeking adcoms' opinions on that front.

I will definitely ask my letter writers for that, however, I don't think their opinions would be that useful. Because, in my case, they are either profs from anthro/econ or non-American political scientists, which may be one of the weaknesses in my application.

Forward it by external Ph.D students then! Heck, I'd be happy to take a look if you felt comfortable sending me stuff.

That makes sense, I will do that after I am officially done in this cycle. I am still waiting for results from 2 schools, though prospects seem dim. And one thing that Phd students and professors cannot tell me is my fit to specific programs, so I am mainly seeking adcoms' opinions on that front.

Sure, but fit you can usually discern my talking with people at the programs, reading more of the research being produced, looking at the kind of graduate students entering the job market, etc. In any event, I'm not suggesting the cycle's over for you; it's very possible the last two schools may be the ones that work out for you!

and we may have touched on a problem. This is not to say that external sources can't write a a good letter to build your case, but the likelihood will be lower than with the letter writers some other people have

Forward it by external Ph.D students then! Heck, I'd be happy to take a look if you felt comfortable sending me stuff.

i'd also be happy to take a look if you are comfortable sending me stuff. different perspectives and whatnot