PhD Applications to OISE, U of T

mitchsasha

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi CKimberly! I am also totally on the same boat with you. I am an applicant of SESE for the PhD program from Taiwan. Did you try to contact any faculty members in OISE? I did but the response seems neutral. All the best in the application process :)

Hi CKimberly! I am also totally on the same boat with you. I am an applicant of SESE for the PhD program from Taiwan. Did you try to contact any faculty members in OISE? I did but the response seems neutral. All the best in the application process :)

@chienkerwei Hi! What response did the faculty members give you? The info would be useful for those who are applying to OISE. Thanks.

Hi mitchsasha. I just sent a email with my statement of intent to a professor I am interested in, to ask if I could work with him. He only said my research is interesting and "all the best in the application process." Probably he isn't really interested in me. But I do not know if contact a potential supervisor in advance is necessary.

I applied to SESE but with the collaborative program in CIDE. I did have some email communication with a professor. She gave me some tips on my application, statement of intent and collaborative program options. However, this was all back in the Fall and my MA is not in education...so we will see how it all plays out! OISE is a bit of a long shot for me! Good luck everyone - hopefully we hear soon :)

Edited by CKimberly

I am currently an MA student in SESE who applied elsewhere for phd as i've been at U of T for my first two degrees. The competition for all PhD programs at OISE is fierce and even with previous communication, and even experience with faculty in the department, many things are weighed. Not to discourage any applicants but the admit pool is usually quite small. Much is based on who is on the committee from year to year and who or how many faculty strongly advocate for you as they rank applicants. Strong fit with faculty research interests is key but that doesn't necessarily require a background in education. Though some form of experience working in education os required to be eligible.

SESE has a very interdisciplinary approach. They've also just merged with history and philosophy in education so that's more relevant than ever. Granted the merger is due unfortunately to grad departments at OISE that don't make money (i.e. not the b.ed's, m.ed's) being marginalized and receiving less and less funding.

I think OISE is known as an institute open to interdisciplinary background, so don't worry. Would you please share what the tips are with us? Thank you:)

Nothing too novel...She said to include her name in my research statement on the online application, as well as in my Statement of Intent. She also said that fully-funded PhD spots are very competitive (as well all know) but that a strong Statement of Intent and good fit would make all the difference.

Has anyone heard anything about timeline/when decisions will be made?

Got accepted to the Ph.D. program in SLE via phone. Official acceptance letter will come in late March. Full funding for 4 years. So excited! :P Good luck to other applicants with their applications to UofT.

Wow! Can't believe you heard so soon. Congrats. I've heard that we have to wait until the end of March (for SESE and CTL, at least).

Mitchsasha, you don't really need this info anymore, but I'll post in case anyone else has similar questions.

I had a few email exchanges with various profs at CTL and the current SESE, soon to be something else. One looked over my statement of intent and offered some valuable suggestions, and then we met for coffee a couple of weeks later. From these conversations, I gleaned that for CTL and SESE you pretty much need to have a faculty member advocating for your application, and that each faculty member was 'allowed' only one (or in special cases, two) new students. Not that you are stuck with that faculty member for your whole degree, but that's how the admissions process works. And if you have your own funding, i.e. the big SSHRC, I think they can let you in as a flex-time student, which they have additional spots for. Not 100% sure about this, though.

She suggested I write more than I had about why I wanted to work with certain profs, but she said it was a very strong letter. Anyway, it was a good conversation, too, so I hope it was enough to get me in!

Now, I'm curious to know if anyone knows when we can expect to hear from York?

congrat! mitchsasha! I heard nothing from OISE. As an international applicant, I guess i will get the result via post, instead of phone, in late March or early April probably. If I have a funding from my country but apply the full-time PhD program, will they automatically transfer my application to the flex-time? All I want is an admission whatever it is. LOL

Hi,

I haven't heard anything, although I did just get an invitation to the Dean's Graduate student research conference addressed "Dear Students..." Could this be a sign?

Did everyone who applied get this email? Probably.