Phone Conversations

I have a couple of phone chats with professors from schools I've been admitted to coming up. Has anyone been through one of these? What types of questions should I be asking them?

I received a very thorough and informative call from Northwestern when I was admitted, but I can never think of anything in particular to ask!

I get quite anxious over the phone and freeze up, so I'm hoping to go into them with some basic, simple questions prepared...any advice or experience at all would be appreciated! :)

I just had three chats with faculty from one school yesterday! I was so nervous and had prepared an elaborate list of talking points about my work, anticipating it to be almost like an admissions interview. This was definitely the wrong approach to take!

If you have other acceptances, it might be helpfulto compile a list of simple questions--about program strcture, requirements, etc--that will help you compare programs. However, I am still waiting to hear back from a lot of schools and am at this point seriously considering one program. So, yesterday I found it helpful to simply ask what the general intellectual environment is like in the department and at the university. If the person you are talking to was on the adcom or has otherwise accessed your app materials, you might ask why they thought you'd be a good fit for the program. You don't want it to come off as if you want to be showered with praise, but chances are faculty considered you to be a good match in ways you won't even know.

This is solid advice. I'm also preparing for phone conversations with faculty, and I plan to ask about their current research projects, new interests, etc. Department websites and JSTOR are bound to be slightly outdated, and I'd love to get the inside scoop. I also plan to ask a couple of questions about upcoming seminars, though I need to work those out a bit more!

This is solid advice. I'm also preparing for phone conversations with faculty, and I plan to ask about their current research projects, new interests, etc. Department websites and JSTOR are bound to be slightly outdated, and I'd love to get the inside scoop. I also plan to ask a couple of questions about upcoming seminars, though I need to work those out a bit more!

Ruby, have you talked to anyone at UCR yet?

I talked to Tina about funding and TAing, but that's it. I think she mentioned that professors were planning to call this week. Have you?

I talked to Tina, too, and I thought she said we would be emailed by professors.....Hmmmm...I find the phone conversations so nerve-wracking! Also, was there any mention funding for conferences? I can't remember.....

But yeah, even that phone conversation was scary for me. I didn't ask any questions, but then again, she pretty much covered everything I had questions about at that time.

Bumping this -- I talked to a prof on the phone yesterday and babbled like an idiot.

I wanted to ask about the structure of the first two years -- required coursework -- but I got nervous and worried that that would be stupid (although I've scoured the website and found no specifics), so I didn't ask. :unsure: Guess I'll ask when I visit.

Anyone have any tips for overcoming shyness/phone awkwardness?