A long, rambling way of asking, "Is it safe to e-mail them?"

amywhoisawesome

I am probably overanalyzing things (aren't we all?), but something happened this week that has my brain all crazed now. I received an e-mail from the FLAS committee at a school about my fellowship application: they said that my summer application materials had been received and that evaluations would start at the end of the month, etc etc. After frantically crying in one of my professor's offices, I e-mailed them back to say that I thought I had applied for an academic year fellowship, and further explained the problem. Thankfully, they moved my application to the academic-year pile (rejoice! cue the overly gracious e-mail!), the evaluations of which start next week. My question is... do you think it's safe for me to assume that, since they are going to evaluate my fellowship application, I've at least been wait-listed into my program, if not accepted? My brain can't help but jump to these conclusions! I feel like it would be silly for them to

Part of me wants to e-mail the program and ask about my application status. Do you think this is okay to do? The website doesn't really have an option to check—it just says "Status: Submitted" (well duh, I knew that already)—but I also don't want to come off as rude or bothersome (especially not right after this whole debacle with my fellowship application). Any ideas?

Also, has anyone else applied for a FLAS anywhere? We can cry and agonize together!

Edited by amywhoisawesome

I'm waiting on an FLAS at Berkeley. I've already been admitted, and the department "nominated" me, but I'm freaking out a little because a good portion of my funding seems contingent on my winning the darned thing.

Re inquiring with the program about your app status, I think that is totally legitimate. Loads of people do it, and I've never heard of a department being off-put by such an inquiry.

I think you're jumping to conclusions re: the I've been wait-listed/accepted notion. They have to evaluate your application as it was just moved over from the summer pile to the year pile.. I'm going to assume they didn't even bother looking at it before they moved it over.

I also think you should wait to email.. until at least a week after their formal evaluation period.