So when do you actually relocate to start your program?

lovenhaight

I was just wondering if anyone else is trying to figure out when to actually move to wherever your PhD program is located. My issue is that I graduate in early May, and with graduation comes the end of employment; however, my PhD program is on the West Coast and runs on a completely different schedule than I'm used to. My classes wouldn't actually start until late September.

So what to do in the interim? I don't want to stay in the town I'm currently in any longer than I absolutely have to, but I'm hesitant to pack up and head west without some kind of income waiting for me when I get there.

Thoughts? Anyone else in this boat?

This won't make you any money, but if you are moving to Eugene, I suggest you come out and sublet a place in Portland for a few months first. Come here, live the good life, and then move down to Eugene. Given, it's near impossible to find a job here, especially on a temporary basis.

It might be helpful to get a sense of when is the best time to start looking for apartments/housing from the graduate students in the program. In the long run, it might be better to pay for a few months more of housing if you can find something that fits your needs and falls within your budget.

1) You're fortunate (in my opinion) that you are on a semester system and you are transitioning into a quarter system. This gives you a very lengthy summer break to not only unwind mentally but also to pick back up towards the end up of summer and redirect your focus. This also gives you plenty of time to adjust to your new city and get comfortable with where you live so when you need necessities you know where things are.

2) I strongly suggest e-mailing some current students (try and find ones that are maybe current 1st or 2nd years so they can relate). When I was on my visit at ND I made sure to ask people when school started and when they moved to the area. Unfortunately for me (and this really sucks), I don't graduate til mid June and then, considering semester programs usually start late august, I would need to move to my new city about a month after my graduation to start getting used to my new town. I was told I should be moved in by the end of July (though whenever I officially decide on a school I'll get some more opinions from students on this). I'm kind of bummed about how small of a gap that is because I would have liked a little bit longer to take some time off but c'est la vie.

3) What to do in the mean time? If you have the money, vacation! Also, read read read read read. This is what I plan to do. A lot of departments have their course listings online (or some kind of form that has to do with what readings they expect). I plan to start reading some of the material ahead of time. I'm a double major in psyc and soc and am finishing up my psyc part of the degree these last two quarters so as soon as I get some down time I'm going to put soc mode back into drive. Right now, it's in 2nd gear with the one theory course I'm taking.

You should probably find out where you want to live too. What school are you going to again?

Edited by ThisSlumgullionIsSoVapid

@Slum -

I've been accepted to Oregon, so Eugene would be the town I'm looking at. I definitely don't have the money to vacation - I'm married, so vacationing for two gets a bit expensive. I'm definitely going to take the advice that you and others have suggested regarding contacting current students to see what they would suggest. I'll also probably do some course reading, but I do intend to give myself a bit of a mental break since I've been going full force in my MA program.You're right about being lucky going from east to west...I'm excited to have such an extended break. It just means that I'll be ready to start fresh in September.

I'm also moving east to west: Cincinnati to Davis. I suppose my partner and i will move in aug at the latest... we're fortunate to have a few friends in the bay area so I'm hoping transition won't be too rough... but I think that's my primary concern no matter when we move, developing a reliable community... <--- see new topic on how folks are feeling about relocating.

Edited by socieconomist

I'm moving (probably) from East to South. Boy did I NEVER expect this to happen.

I like looking through craigslist, rentjungle and rent.com to see what apartments are LIKE. I live in an old city that has historical markers every 10 feet so we all live in semi renovated early 20th century apartments that are crammed on top of each other. Every search I do for Florida includes words like "new" and "renovated". I HAVE noticed that the majority of complexes have pools :) I've made a list of apartments that I want to swing by when I do my campus visit next month.

Because I'm a "doer", I started sending stuff home about 3 weeks ago. I plan to have as little as possible to deal with after graduation. I'm planning to let my furniture "convey" for a small fee (think $50). I moved three times last year...my own mother refused to help the last time so I'm trying to make this as easy as possible.

I've already informed my landlord and my job that I will be leaving no later than May 15th to move back home for about 7 weeks before the BIG MOVE. I plan to be in my new apartment no later than July 8, one month before the program starts.

I plan, I plan, I plan, I plan.

In reality: my grand plans will probably all blow up in my face and I'll be living in the University Inn for a month.

I seem to have the opposite plan of everyone else. I am moving east to west, so the extra time is GREAT! But, I plan on staying put for as long as humanly possible. I have been here for serveral years now, and have more connections here than I would anywhere else. Connections = a better chance to land a job for the summer, work there as long as possible, save as much money as possible before entering foriegn territory.

Maybe I'm one of the only ones moving West to East. I plan on staying most of the way through the summer and working, but then doing a big road trip on my way to my program. I do need to figure out when I need to find my apartment by, that seems like a big consideration.