The final two

attrapereves

So I'm down to my final two decisions. I've already gotten a decent offer from my runner up choice. I have no qualms accepting their offer, but I'd rather attend my primary pick. The runner up program needs a decision from me by March 23. However, I have not gotten an offer from my primary choice yet. I have been verbally told what I would be offered and I consulted their pay rates to get a general idea of what I would make. More importantly, I really like the program, faculty, and the programs they offer.

What should I do if I do not receive an offer from choice #1 before next Friday? Is it considered acceptable to accept choice #2's offer and then resend my acceptance once I receive an offer from #1? I guess I could also ask school #2 for an extension, but I'm not sure what they would tell me?

Any guidance would be great.

I'm in the exact same boat!! I've received a verbal offer from one school, but they are still working on my official financial package and won't get back to me for another week or so. In the mean time my second choice just made me a sweet offer with funding and want an answer in the next 2 weeks. If I don't respond by then they will withdrawl their funding. My second choice rarely offers first year funding, so I really don't want to let this lapse!! Is it wrong to accept an offer from a school and then decline it later? I don't want to burn any bridges, but I also don't want to lost this funding in case my first choice falls through.

I'm in the exact same boat!! I've received a verbal offer from one school, but they are still working on my official financial package and won't get back to me for another week or so. In the mean time my second choice just made me a sweet offer with funding and want an answer in the next 2 weeks. If I don't respond by then they will withdrawl their funding. My second choice rarely offers first year funding, so I really don't want to let this lapse!! Is it wrong to accept an offer from a school and then decline it later? I don't want to burn any bridges, but I also don't want to lost this funding in case my first choice falls through.

I received an email from my first choice and they told me that they just received their TAship allocations from the graduate school. They said that hopefully I should hopefully receive information before Friday. If I do not receive an email or letter by Thursday, I am going to ask my second choice for a small extension. Hopefully my first choice program will get a letter in the mail by Tuesday so that I receive it before Friday.

I am really going to be in a tight spot if I do not receive a letter from #1 by Friday and #2 does not give me an extension.