What if I don't get accepted anywhere?

Hey all. Next app season I'm going to be applying to both MA and PhD English programs. I'm coming straight out of undergrad and while I'm going to try my darnedest to get in, I'm preparing myself for the very real possibility that I will be rejected from every program. If this happens then I'm going to try again next app season, but my question for you all is - what do I do in the mean time?

I'll only have a BA so there's really no hope for me getting a job in my field in the year I'll have off. What do I do for that year? If anyone else has been through this before, what did you do? The only thing I can think of is to get some kind of job (probably at a restaurant - but Jesus am I sick of restaurant jobs) and in the mean time study my butt off to enhance my application. But I don't think that sounds like a very good plan that would lead to strengthening my chances of getting accepted the next time... :unsure:

I would try to get a job in a university as a research assistant. My field is Biology and I chose not to apply to PhD programs straight out of undergrad. Instead, I was a research technician at a prestigious university under a well known and respected investigator. I worked very diligently. In return, I got my name on two publications and a very influential LOR. I also was admitted to the University at which I was a research technician.

Anyway, I think remaining in an academic environment is extremely benficial.

You can get plenty of jobs with an English degree. I would try to get in somewhere that has benefits so that you have health insurance. We all know that working as a research assistant doesn't really happen in the English field, unless your in a grad program. My suggestion is get in at a company that you may have room for growth (just in case it really has to become your reality). That is what I did. I'm still waiting for my waitlist decisions. This is my 2nd time applying, but I am making a decent living, have benefits, and have started to work my way up in the company. If this year doesn't happen, I will try again. In the meantime I know I will be able to survive.

I worked in the publishing industry for 3 years between undergrad and grad. I had benefits and a decent salary, was able to afford a few vacations, save some money, etc. I would recommend looking for a 9-5ish job that interests you and make the most of it. Or teach abroad! MrBrookyln's suggestion sounds awesome.

I got into some funded MA programs at state unis and I was not a stellar undergrad so I bet you'll get in somewhere. I took a year off after getting my BA and worked on a couple of different organic farms. Jobs are easy to come by, it's a great way to see different parts of the country, and it has been really nice to get my head out of the clouds/books and spend some time outside working with my body. Compensation, predictably, is not stellar, but it is more than enough to live on since most farms will give you room and board. Something to think about.

You can get plenty of jobs with an English degree. I would try to get in somewhere that has benefits so that you have health insurance. We all know that working as a research assistant doesn't really happen in the English field, unless your in a grad program. My suggestion is get in at a company that you may have room for growth (just in case it really has to become your reality). That is what I did. I'm still waiting for my waitlist decisions. This is my 2nd time applying, but I am making a decent living, have benefits, and have started to work my way up in the company. If this year doesn't happen, I will try again. In the meantime I know I will be able to survive.

Really? I guess I just never considered other jobs than what I wanted to eventually do with my degree, which is teach, hopefully at the level of community college or higher. Now that you've given me some renewed hope I'll have to look into that some more! ^_^ It would definitely be a weight off my shoulders to have a Plan B career in the works in case my dream dies like a butterfly in a snowstorm... :blink:

Teaching English abroad can be a great way to go. It led to the best years of my life.

I would really want to do this! I want to travel so badly, I just don't have the funds to, so teaching has always seemed appealing. However, I have a SO that I'm also trying to think about... :unsure: But I think we could do a year apart, especially since we aren't exactly the wealthiest couple and teaching abroad would provide a salary.

Where did you teach abroad, if I may ask?

You will most likely get into one or many more MA programs.

I guess, I just have an amazing ability to doubt myself, haha. But I'm also concerned because unless I get into a funded MA there's no way I can go. I already have undergrad debt, and as a humanities student I really can't justify taking on any more. :unsure: And since funded MA's in English seem to only become scarcer, I'm trying to get a back-up plan in the works now!

I worked in the publishing industry for 3 years between undergrad and grad. I had benefits and a decent salary, was able to afford a few vacations, save some money, etc. I would recommend looking for a 9-5ish job that interests you and make the most of it. Or teach abroad! MrBrookyln's suggestion sounds awesome.

Thanks for the advice! Publishing sounds interesting. And I would definitely be psyched to make a salary and be able to save some money.

I got into some funded MA programs at state unis and I was not a stellar undergrad so I bet you'll get in somewhere. I took a year off after getting my BA and worked on a couple of different organic farms. Jobs are easy to come by, it's a great way to see different parts of the country, and it has been really nice to get my head out of the clouds/books and spend some time outside working with my body. Compensation, predictably, is not stellar, but it is more than enough to live on since most farms will give you room and board. Something to think about.

The hippy in me that almost went to Warren Wilson for undergrad is loving the organic farm idea!

You're really smart to figure out a back-up plan now. :) Another option is doing temp/contract work as an in-between thing. I've been doing this for as long as I can stand it, and it can make you feel better that you don't have to fake/pretend that you want a full-time position at the company (but most contracts will be 6 months to a year, though, but again, something you can get around). And it usually is a way to get in to a company full-time if you do end up wanting to. These positions will almost always provide benefits and insurance, as long as you find a good contract agency. In fact, some contractors that I've worked with actually made more money than regular employees. I think that if you can market yourself as having x abilities that fit with the job, you should be able to convince employers that your English degree has made you a skilled writer and thinker. Honestly, corporations really need more good writers and thinkers.

I guess, I just have an amazing ability to doubt myself, haha. But I'm also concerned because unless I get into a funded MA there's no way I can go. I already have undergrad debt, and as a humanities student I really can't justify taking on any more. :unsure: And since funded MA's in English seem to only become scarcer, I'm trying to get a back-up plan in the works now!

It generally tends to go, as I have found out, in the way that the more prestigious the school, the less they will fund. Though that is by no means a perfect model, the smaller (shittier) state schools will often fund MAs as generously as a PhD program, and will even often offer TAships. The larger, more "big name" schools will offer nothing, and assume you want to get into 40k+ worth of debt for their name to emblazon your diploma. To some degree, this makes sense, and to another degree, it's ridiculous. Some MAs are also half or partially

funded.

MA is also a great deal less competitive than PhD, and my experience has been the one I've told you. Especially if you're not coming out of a super prestigious undergrad and/or do not have stellar GRE scores and undergrad records, MA is a good step to take to prepare for advanced graduate work.

You're definitely smart to have a backup plan.

Edited by Julianne Pigoon

I worked in the publishing industry for 3 years between undergrad and grad. I had benefits and a decent salary, was able to afford a few vacations, save some money, etc.

I'm still working in publishing. Three years in May. Being in New York in the meantime, if you don't have personal attachments elsewhere, can be nice. Really they've been three of my best years. Except for the first one. So that's two good years I guess. Still not a bad deal.

Honestly, corporations really need more good writers and thinkers.

Agreed. The publishing field is really a hard field to get into right now because it is dying, but that is the more traditional route. A lot of people overlook the field of corporate communications. Major corporations have teams of writers that send out the communications to the employees, and there are many different teams within the companies because, generally, they service so many different fields. My new position has afforded me the opportunity to begin being a "reader" for the corporate communications team. I utilize my knowledge of our division and help edit the communications that go out - this is just a special project I work on, it is not my main function. However, it is a foot in the door if the whole grad thing doesn't work out for me. I agree that the best thing to do is to start a back up plan because as much as we all want to go, it might not be in the cards for us to go to grad programs. No need wasting 1, 2, 3 years waiting tables to then try to get into a field. I understand you gotta do what you gotta do to make some money, but don't sell yourself short.

Agreed. The publishing field is really a hard field to get into right now because it is dying

It sounds like you've found a very promising alternative to grad school, lolopixie, which is awesome, and probably really helpful for graduating English majors to hear about. But I would gently argue against this part of your advice. "Shrinking" and "dying" are two different things. It is tough right now, but if publishing is something a young English major is excited about or interested in trying out, I'd still say go for it. Or anyway don't be discouraged by the fact that people are going around saying the publishing industry is dying.

Great advice has already been posted here, but I'll add to it.

I'm applying this fall to both MA and PhD programs. I think I have pretty strong odds for being accepted to an MA program (and hopefully a PhD program! Fingers are crossed.), but funding is, again, the main issue.

If I dislike the options I receive next spring, I plan to work for a year and apply again. I'm looking into ETA positions, AmeriCorps/Peace Corps, etc. I guess I'll look into the publishing thing too.

I've come to realize that a BA in English isn't career suicide, which is a wonderful feeling.

Don't be afraid to move somewhere else too if there's few opportunity in your university town or hometown either. I stayed in my hometown after I graduated thinking that it would be a smart, money saving move. But the job market in my particular corner of the country is so bad, there was really nothing for me. If grad school doesn't work out for me this fall, I know I'll have to move elsewhere.

Agreed. The publishing field is really a hard field to get into right now because it is dying, but that is the more traditional route. A lot of people overlook the field of corporate communications. Major corporations have teams of writers that send out the communications to the employees, and there are many different teams within the companies because, generally, they service so many different fields. My new position has afforded me the opportunity to begin being a "reader" for the corporate communications team. I utilize my knowledge of our division and help edit the communications that go out - this is just a special project I work on, it is not my main function. However, it is a foot in the door if the whole grad thing doesn't work out for me. I agree that the best thing to do is to start a back up plan because as much as we all want to go, it might not be in the cards for us to go to grad programs. No need wasting 1, 2, 3 years waiting tables to then try to get into a field. I understand you gotta do what you gotta do to make some money, but don't sell yourself short.

It sounds like you've found a very promising alternative to grad school, lolopixie, which is awesome, and probably really helpful for graduating English majors to hear about. But I would gently argue against this part of your advice. "Shrinking" and "dying" are two different things. It is tough right now, but if publishing is something a young English major is excited about or interested in trying out, I'd still say go for it. Or anyway don't be discouraged by the fact that people are going around saying the publishing industry is dying.

I don't think anyone is saying not to try finding a publishing job, but in my experience, I've actually been more successful getting into a graduate program than getting a job in publishing. (Meaning I got offers from grad programs and never so much as got an email rejection from many, many publishing jobs I've applied to). Perhaps it is is my own particular fate to be in grad school and not to be employed in publishing, but the field of publishing is quite simply not an easy one to get into. (And this is not me saying I went to grad school because I couldn't get a publishing job, or that others should go to grad school instead of finding a publishing job!). One's success in finding a publishing job may be largely dependent on what region of the country one lives in, however. Living in New York or Boston, you are going to see more publishing opportunities open to you than you would in Indiana, let's say. I'm from Chicago, and while there are some educational publishers in the area, the competition is extremely fierce. In fact, finding a job at all, let alone one that will not steal your soul or make your mind atrophy, is difficult right now. However, as lolopoxie says, it's a matter of looking in the right places for potentially satisfying work -- communications, documentation, social media, technical writing, etc. I feel that I need to temper my comments with a smiley face now: :)

I don't think anyone is saying not to try finding a publishing job, but in my experience, I've actually been more successful getting into a graduate program than getting a job in publishing. (Meaning I got offers from grad programs and never so much as got an email rejection from many, many publishing jobs I've applied to). Perhaps it is is my own particular fate to be in grad school and not to be employed in publishing, but the field of publishing is quite simply not an easy one to get into. (And this is not me saying I went to grad school because I couldn't get a publishing job, or that others should go to grad school instead of finding a publishing job!). One's success in finding a publishing job may be largely dependent on what region of the country one lives in, however. Living in New York or Boston, you are going to see more publishing opportunities open to you than you would in Indiana, let's say. I'm from Chicago, and while there are some educational publishers in the area, the competition is extremely fierce. In fact, finding a job at all, let alone one that will not steal your soul or make your mind atrophy, is difficult right now. However, as lolopoxie says, it's a matter of looking in the right places for potentially satisfying work -- communications, documentation, social media, technical writing, etc. I feel that I need to temper my comments with a smiley face now: :)

Again, agreed. I'm not saying don't go for publishing, but be aware of the reality of the industry. Even location may not assist. I have a friend that moved to NYC 3 years ago to go into the publishing field (he was already working at a magazine here and had good internship experience). He waited tables for 3 years and just 2 months ago got a job as a recruiter. Maybe it wasn't his fate to go into publishing, but we also know others that are in the field and they want out because of the diminishing field. I'm just offering up alternatives that may be glanced over. Regardless, I hope everyone has the best of luck getting into a program, or finds work that is satisfying. Life is all about being happy, chasing dreams, and learning lessons. Onward!

I don't even know what I would do without you guys! Thanks so much for all of these amazing ideas. It's really made me feel a lot more hopeful now that I know that there are so many other options out there for me even if I don't get into grad school. ^_^

I've come to realize that a BA in English isn't career suicide, which is a wonderful feeling.

Exactly! :wub:

J'ai enseigné en France, et c'était vraiment excellent.

Je suis très heureux que je peux lire cette phrase. ^_^

That's another great thing about (most) humanities majors: you gain foreign language skills! (Though my response is probably wrong somehow... I struggle in French more than any other course).

EDIT: Turns out I used the wrong verb (I always confuse them). Fixed.

Edited by Two Espressos

Can I suggest that you try to cultivate some skill sets outside of the academic? It's just been my experience that a majority of my classmates who had trouble finding good jobs out of school, especially jobs related to their majors (English, languages, philosophy, etc.), were the ones who didn't have any skills outside of being students. On the other hand, I have had a lot of success with a few different, very useful sets of skills that have gotten me into a number of different jobs that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to get involved in, like journalism (editing and paginating), tutoring and office work. (A typing speed of 110+ wpm doesn't hurt that last one.)

Also, if you really want to teach in that year, you can always look at local schools. A lot of states have alternative certification programs now that you can complete within a year (and who doesn't need an extra certification under their belt?), or you could always go through programs like Teach for America. You could also potentially tutor part-time while working another job full-time, especially if you have good standardized test scores. I'm currently teaching test prep courses with a newish company in the DFW metroplex, and you can make excellent money teaching test prep part-time if you're good at it.