What should I do?

3point14

I have been accepted to an MA program and am still waiting to hear from my top choice program (just had the interview). Unfortunately, the MA program wants me to give them my answer in two days. I have already asked them to extend the deadline. What are the consequences of backing out after accepting an offer?

I just had a talk about this with one of my mentors. You need to e-mail your potential school that has not made a decision and let them know your circumstances. This happens a lot, and schools are understanding about that. Chances are, they'll let you know very quickly whether they want you or not.

As for accepting a position. Many students have accepted offers only to regretfully decline after hearing from another school. The school that gets the rejection will not be overly happy with your change of heart, but it won't be the first time its happened to them.

What you need to do is e-mail your top choice and give them a chance to admit you. And do it quickly! Time is running out!

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, the other school already knows about my time deadline. I guess I'll just wait until tomorrow, and if I don't have a concrete answer by then I'll just accept and back out if I have to.

Council of Grad Schools: Resolution regarding gradaute scholars, fellows, trainees and assistants.

Acceptance of an offer of financial support *(such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor. In that context, the conditions affecting such offers and their acceptance must be defined carefully and understood by all parties.

Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution. In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and sub- sequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made. Similarly, an offer by an insti- tution after April 15 is conditional on presentation by the student of the written release from any previously accepted offer. It is further agreed by the institutions and organizations subscribing to the above Resolution that a copy of this Resolution or a link to the URL should accompany every scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, and assistantship offer.

Check if your school is on the list: http://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGS_Resolution.pdf

I would accept and then let them know by the 15th if you change your mind.

Council of Grad Schools: Resolution regarding gradaute scholars, fellows, trainees and assistants.

Acceptance of an offer of financial support *(such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor. In that context, the conditions affecting such offers and their acceptance must be defined carefully and understood by all parties.

Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution. In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and sub- sequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made. Similarly, an offer by an insti- tution after April 15 is conditional on presentation by the student of the written release from any previously accepted offer. It is further agreed by the institutions and organizations subscribing to the above Resolution that a copy of this Resolution or a link to the URL should accompany every scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, and assistantship offer.

Check if your school is on the list: http://www.cgsnet.or..._Resolution.pdf

I would accept and then let them know by the 15th if you change your mind.

Thanks that's really useful. That's probably what I'll have to do. However, this is an unfunded MA, so I don't know if all that applies to me. My guess is the worst that will happen is that I'll lose my deposit and lose some friends