Visa with girlfriend already in the US

Hey everyone,

It's finally time to start thinking about visas, so here I am.

I've been accepted to a PhD program with full funding. So, I can either apply for the F1 or J1 visa. The deal is that my girlfriend is in the US and is currently waiting for her H1B visa (after finishing her masters on a F1 visa. She's currently on her OPT period). We are planning to get married during the early part of 2013. What exactly happens to both our visas after getting married? Does her H1B visa expire? Does our visa status have to change at all?

I really have no clue about how these things work, would be glad for any help. Thanks for helping me out.. :)

I don't think her visa status would be necessarily affected by yours after you get married. I'm not an expert so I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that her H1B status would be affected by you getting a F1 or J1 visa.

Although being married may mean one of you is eligible to be a dependent on the other's visa, I don't think you HAVE to do this. I know some married student couples who each have their own F-1 or J-1 visas.