0-10!

MarketingPhD2012

I think the OP's posts and some of the responses that followed show a lack of understanding on both sides.

A business PhD is not a super-MBA so additional work experience does little-to-nothing to improve one's profile. The application process is truly a crapshoot and tends to favor young(er) scholars with strong quantitative skills and research experience. The acceptance rate for most programs range between 5-8%. As a 35-year old whose most recent degree, an MBA, is practitioner oriented (i.e. not scholarly or quant intensive), he is at a disadvantage. Additionally, cohort sizes are a function of funding and professor availability. Programs will not admit more students than they can reasonably advise and develop into productive researchers. Therefore, if a student enters a program with their own funding, this does not free up a spot for an additional student. Most programs allocate and offer funding to both foreign and domestic students. I can only see the most cash-strapped U.S. schools preferring foreign students with their own funding over an American student that is equally or more qualified. Unfortunately, American students that apply to these programs are often not as competitive. Additionally, high-performing American students often prefer shorter, professional programs (i.e. MBA) that provide a higher income with a shorter time investment.

The OP mentioned that marketing employers are only interested in hiring people with experience. A marketing PhD will not equip you to begin a career in marketing. A marketing PhD is a research degree that will immerse you in the current theory of your field and equip you to perform academic research, usually in a university setting (i.e. as a professor). Perhaps not understanding the purpose and use of the degree resulted in an unsuccessful application season. I wouldn't recommend lying about your professional intentions in your statement of purpose, but if you wish to pursue a marketing career, you may want to look at other degree options.