Why are YOU getting an M.Ed/PhD in Education?

ladybug3

I know some people getting a M.Ed degree do so because they are teachers and want additional qualifications, but I also know a lot of people with higher education degrees never plan on being classroom educators..

What is your career goal after you graduate with your M.Ed/PhD/EdD and what specialization are you planning to achieve this? (Special Ed/Adult Ed/Policy, etc)

well, according to the Gates Foundation massive Measures of Effective Teaching study, an M.Ed has no statistical significance in predicting teacher quality. You can however recover much of the cost through pay raises by holding the degree.

But for policy, research, and a doctorate, M.Ed is the first step, and an important one.

Thanks. That's not exactly what I meant. I personally want to work in a post-secondary setting helping students with disabilities transition to university life. I am just wondering what exactly other people plan to do after graduation.

I'm planning on going (back) into policy analysis after I graduate. It's very hard to get a senior-level position in the field without a doctorate (for good reason, I think).

well, according to the Gates Foundation massive Measures of Effective Teaching study, an M.Ed has no statistical significance in predicting teacher quality. You can however recover much of the cost through pay raises by holding the degree.

If my university is any indication, masters program for teachers have a largely philosophical / sociological orientation - looking at curriculum trends, racial / class / gender inequality, etc. Assuming that the Gates Foundation defines teacher quality by student testing scores, I have a hard time seeing how the two correlate.

Edited by delight

Thanks. That's not exactly what I meant. I personally want to work in a post-secondary setting helping students with disabilities transition to university life. I am just wondering what exactly other people plan to do after graduation.

What a great thing to do!

As for me, I've been working as a science center outreach educator the past 4 years and really love it, but get frustrated with how little investment there seems to be in the educators. Right now, my plan is to get a PhD in Science Ed, so that I can go back into the world of informal science education and hopefully improve it.

What a great thing to do!

As for me, I've been working as a science center outreach educator the past 4 years and really love it, but get frustrated with how little investment there seems to be in the educators. Right now, my plan is to get a PhD in Science Ed, so that I can go back into the world of informal science education and hopefully improve it.

That's really neat! Does that mean you want to go into the policy side of education?

Right now I envision myself working at a museum/science center or running an outreach program,. I think my dream job would be running the outreach education for the particle accelerator at my undergrad school.... But, I'm also trying to stay open to the fact that my experience in grad school may direct me towards other avenues. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

This is an awesome question.

To me, teacher education is one area where I think the education world is particularly weak. We have many academics training teachers in our universities who are either pitiful teachers themselves or have a general disdain for the profession. Almost since I started teaching, I've felt drawn to teacher education, as there are opportunities here to make a difference for many teachers down the road. I'm sure you could do this as a cooperating teacher as well, but I feel like there's a greater chance of doing good by working in a college or university.

I've also has a burgeoning interest in gifted education, which was spurred by students I've met through the years who receive very little in the way of support for their gifts and talents. Teachers, too, receive little support when it comes to differentiating and otherwise providing for these students' academic, social, and emotional needs. Many new teachers have taken hours in special education, but how many have had any preparation in gifted education strategies such as acceleration, compacting, telescoping, etc? I've taken hours in gifted education, though I feel like I need more work to become adept with gifted kids. The great part of this area of education is that some of the strategies and tactics you learn are good for all kids, so it feels like you're much more well-rounded and prepared as a teacher for whoever comes your way.

Oh, and I'm teaching in China, where teaching is completely rote. Chinese kids come to their classes, sit down, and listen and take notes. All day. Every day. I teach in an international school, so we don't do this (I hope--I wouldn't have went across the world to give notes every period of every day), but talent is wasted here each and every day in traditional Chinese schools. Gifted education is virtually non-existent, save for a few ultra-competitive government or university run schools that service a paltry amount of the millions of gifted students here.

I have many interests and I'm trying to narrow them down. I'm definitely interested in curriculum and instruction (curriculum and teaching). I'm still deciding if I'm going to pursue gifted education as well and roll as much of this into graduate school as possible. I'd love to work in a public school, while also being plugged in to a university to work with new teachers (maybe as an adjunct for a few years, even).

Edited by wjdavis

• 1 month later...

I'm also very interested in this discussion. I'm planning to start my MA/ M.Ed, & i find it a very diffecult decision to choose between all the specializations. I really need an advice from some experts to tell me which specialization will be more needed in the future & at the same time help me get a job in universities & continue a Phd : Educational Technology , E-Learning, Curriculum & Instructions or Leardership...?? One more thing to consider is that i currently teach Arabic as a foriegn language online, not really sure where i can end up with in my career ladder, but i feel like i need to help developing methods of teaching a foriegn language, & work as a university staff ..

So with all of these givens, i've been lost for a week trying to find my way, reading stuff on the internet, reading about MA programs in US & UK....Can anyone help me find my way or recommend a university that offers Online/distance learning Masters in Education is some specialization that helps me achieve the above ??