Huge (Good) Dilemma, Need Help

Hey guys,

I wanted to get your advice on something. I was pretty much 100% set on NYU and ready to take out a lot of loans to finance it (I didn't receive any aid--from NYU or from any of the other schools). However Syracuse let me know the other day that if I decide to attend they will offer me full tuition reimbursement. Here's my dilemma:

NYU has been my dream FOREVER. Also the resources and connections of being in the city are unmatched. But do I do that at the cost of a nearly $80,000 loan?

Syracuse, an amazing journalism school (I haven't visited it), isn't in the city and I don't know if it could offer me the same resources that I was prepared for in NYC. But I would graduate debt free (other than living expenses) and still develop some forms of connections.

I'm just having a super hard time deciding and honestly don't know what to do. Do I give up my dream school to graduate debt free? Or do I attend my dream school and end up incurring a good few decades of debt--but ultimately solid and extraordinary connections? I just worry that I'll want to do an internship at places like Vogue, Vanity Fair or NBC, and won't be able to if I'm in Syracuse. At the same time going to Syracuse would allow me the ease to get my Masters and then move into the city without worrying of having to quickly find a job (although I will anyhow) to start paying about $700-800/m for my loan--but on the same token I'd lose a year of possibly making those city connections that I'm working towards. I'm just so torn because the fiscally responsible mentality in me is saying "Duh! Take Syracuse--NYC will always be there". The bright-eyed bushy tailed college graduate though is saying "Dream school! Dream school! Don't worry about the cost, you'll figure it out in the end." And I honestly don't doubt my abilities--I'm a hard worker and know that I'll push to get what I want (career wise). But I don't control the market or employment and can't guarantee (like all of us) that there'll be something waiting for me...in Syracuse or NYU.

Ahh what do I do?! I'd love to hear your perspectives and what you'd do--honestly. I have to make a decision in the next day or so.

Syracuse is a blah city compared to NYC, but the university aesthetic is not bad; I would expect the living costs to be much lower. Plus, having a stipend is a terrific aspect to consider when comparing the schools, whereas burdening yourself with loans as you study, and after you study, is not good when you are trying to crack into the field.

You can also fly inexpensively on jetBlue between Syracuse and New York to make contacts. I have flown SYR>JFK personally, and it is an easy flight. There is also Megabus and Amtrak as alternatives, I believe. Check with the department in Syracuse whether they have the professional connections in New York you seek. Like what dntw8up said, make the most of your opportunities.

It's one thing to say "dream school" when there's a $10K difference. It's another to go for it when it's an $80K+ difference, in a profession that is going through a rough transition period. I don't know anything about NYU's J-school, but I almost applied to Syracuse in a completely different program because of the opportunity to take a PR dual degree from the Syracuse J-school--from what I've heard, it really is one of the best schools for journalism so I wouldn't think you'd be missing out too badly on the chance to make networking connections. You can also take a summer internship in NYC between school years. Graduating debt free also means you can afford to take a prestigious unpaid or low-paid internship after graduation, without having to worry about covering that $700 loan payment.

I agree with all the comments here. I went to NYU for journalism (with tuition remission + stipend) and while it's a great school, it's very expensive and living in NYC has gotten even more expensive since I completed the program. I would not have attended NYU w/out the funding. I know in my program of at least one person who left the program b/c their funding stopped and it's just too expensive w/out any aid at all.

Journalism - as I'm sure you know - isn't in the best shape right now, so it would be better to come out of a program debt-free since the job market is very tight.

I'd also give the same advice as everyone else. 80,000 is too much money. Add your loan repayment to your home mortgage after you're done, and you most likely end up giving most of your pay check away. I'd go to Syracuse, work super hard and try to make any possible connections possible, either during the summer or through professors or any other means possible. But I'd never pay 80,000 of money I did not have at the time to pay for any school any program whatsoever unless it came with an ironclad garuntee that I could repay it within a few years of coming out. 80,000 sounds like way too much for good connections.

The advice you've gotten from other members of this forum is spot on. The benefits of a degree from NYU simply do not make up for the costs associated with earning that degree. This is especially true for a journalism degree.

Also, as you mentioned, has a fantastic journalism school.

Just to add a little to all the great advice people have given you. Connections are important, but you said Syracuse is a great program-that means there will be connections there. You might just have to work a little bit harder to make the connections, but it won't matter if you do a good job :)